4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nicki
the stickies say how to find out what the trouble codes are. but i didn't see anything about clearing them. is there a special way the codes need to be cleared, maybe by the dealer only?
i've been having some trouble with my car. i had the transmission rebuilt. after driving it for a day the engine light came back on with the same transmission code. i called the shop & they said it could be that they weren't able to 'fully clear the code'. i will be taking the car in on monday to get looked at. i'm just wondering if the problem wasn't fixed or if their equipment is really not able to clear out the code. thanks
nicki
The only way to clear it is with a code reader that you've got to buy. If the idiot light returns, the problem hasn't been fixed.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 PM

What is a bbk?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by brwnNbrusd46
What is a bbk?
big brake kit, try search next time
Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I only figured that out after visiting the Stillen website. I'll search next time.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Can anyone tell me if there are major differences between a '95 and a '99 Maxima? Aside from the updated appearance.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm itchin to post a thread! Arrrrggh!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Open a thread sorry
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM

is what i mean
Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
mod or sell?

Can anyone tell me if there are major differences between a '95 and a '99 Maxima? Aside from the updated appearance.
99 got an immobilizer and has side airbags.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Headlight Switch - stuck

Hello, this is my first post and I could not start a thread so here is my question...

I can not get the headlight switch to click into the "on" position. The off and driving light works ok but the headlight on will not click or turn all the ways. It just springs back to the drivng light. Is the switch broken? Mt had light or hi-beams will not go on. The pull back will turn on the left hi-beem only. The fog lights will not turn on either. The turn signals work also.

I took out the switch and it looked good - not burnt. I want to order a new one but I need someone to confirm that their switch clicked into the on position. I'm assuming that there is no auto-off sensor.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Will my noob question get ancwered?

I understand the 15 post rule but how do I help others if I'm new to Maxima? I will try but my posts might have to be more of the "good job" nature.

Either way will my question (prev. in this thread) get answered or do I need 15 posts first?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM

I know what you mean about the 15 posts thing...

I'm itchin to post a thread! Arrrrggh!

Did you get there yet?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Additional Question about Kiliometers to miles conversion....

My first Question:
Originally Posted by craigism
Hello, this is my first post and I could not start a thread so here is my question...

I can not get the headlight switch to click into the "on" position. The off and driving light works ok but the headlight on will not click or turn all the ways. It just springs back to the drivng light. Is the switch broken? Mt had light or hi-beams will not go on. The pull back will turn on the left hi-beem only. The fog lights will not turn on either. The turn signals work also.

I took out the switch and it looked good - not burnt. I want to order a new one but I need someone to confirm that their switch clicked into the on position. I'm assuming that there is no auto-off sensor.

Thanks.
New post (sorry I can not start a tread for 12 more posts):
If I get a miles gauge and replace the kilo. gauge will it work?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by internetautomar
99 got an immobilizer and has side airbags.
Some 98's have side airbags too. Mine does.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks.
Sounds like your stalk needs replacing, but I'm just guessing. Relax bro, when someone knows the answer, they'll post up. How do you know your foglight bulbs are still good? As for the rt side high beam not working, to bulb could be bad since it's a dual filament bulb.

My first Question:

New post (sorry I can not start a tread for 12 more posts):
If I get a miles gauge and replace the kilo. gauge will it work?

Thanks.
Huh? Did you import a Maxima from a different country or something?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

has anyone ever heard of someone using 88-94 240sx struts and springs to lower their maxima? i was looking at my buddies new suspension and it looks exactly like the max's.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Huh? Did you import a Maxima from a different country or something?
No I bought it in South FL, but many Canadians and other Snow Birds sell their cars here.

From reading many of the posts it does look like the the US and Canada gauges are interchangeable. I'm just trying to get confirmation before I buy the parts.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 AM

How do you know your foglight bulbs are still good? As for the rt side high beam not working, to bulb could be bad since it's a dual filament bulb.
I do not know. I will know more after I replace the switch (by this weekend).
I will look at the fog bulbs to night and follow up. I ordered my switch with fog on ebay for $46 inc. shipping.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM

15 posts! Well I see the light and the wisdome now...

This is my 14th post. I have learned much and I think saved a buck or two. Thanks Maxima.org. I got to know the ropes with the while 15 post thing. I wanted to donate but then found that its $30 or nothing. Why not $5 or $10 options. If I use this forum more and it helps me I will pay the $30 and be happy about it but still I think there should be other options for donating or supporting.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM

Oh that was 14, so this is my **** 15th ****

This is my 14th post. I have learned much and I think saved a buck or two. Thanks Maxima.org. I got to know the ropes with the while 15 post thing. I wanted to donate but then found that its $30 or nothing. Why not $5 or $10 options. If I use this forum more and it helps me I will pay the $30 and be happy about it but still I think there should be other options for donating or supporting.

Thanks.
15 official posts!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Ok, so my foglight flew out while driving down the road, and the lens got a big hole in it. Apparently one of the bolts wasnt in. So I bought a new foglight and it came with the bracket that goes around it. The thing is, I cant put in my new light cause the bolt that was in the original bracket (or whatever you call that metal thing you attach the light to) broke off. So now I either have to some how get the remaining bolt out, or replace the bracket. But how do I get the bracket out of the bumper? Do I have to take off the damn bumper? God, any simple task I try to do turns into some ****ed up ****.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Couple of questions.
Is there a difference in the overdrive tranny ratio in an auto vs a 5 spd?
Or is the difference in the axel gears or? Sorry dont know much about fwd cars. Reason is I have a 99 auto but found a 99 5spd and it seemed to be revving higher in overdrive in the 5 spd compared to an auto.
Also is $6800 a good price for a 99 SE limited with 60k miles. Blk/blk leather, 5spd and pretty clean? Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH
Also is $6800 a good price for a 99 SE limited with 60k miles. Blk/blk leather, 5spd and pretty clean? Thanks guys
I can answer your second question.
Assuming it has a clean carfax, and checks out mechanically, that's a fair price. I'd snag it in a heartbeat. Double check the mileage though, sounds a little fishy.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gvrules518
bump just because i need 15 posts
Please don't ***** this thread with useless crap (this applies to all n00bs). Go contribute something useful to the forums.....Thank you.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM

yea, a lot of people have been whoring this thread so they can get 15 post and make a thread thats gonna get locked. ASK QUESTIONS HERE or search. thats what this thread is for
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 AM

Please don't ***** this thread with useless crap (this applies to all n00bs). Go contribute something useful to the forums.....Thank you.
(lol the post preceding this one asks for the opposite)

That is really impossible for us noobs. For the most part we have never owned a Maxima, that is why we are new. The 15 post rule is to prevent spam bots. A noob can not add new useful info so that is why we have this thread, so not to clutter the main areas with the 15 junk posts. I for one, have made a effort to be helpful in most of my first 15 posts in the main forums and go slammed by dumb people that were more concerned that I might be trying to get to 15 rather than offering valuable information or asking real questions. To each his own but this forum is here to try to help others and that is what I plan to do.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM

READ THE FIRST POST ON PAGE ONE.

This thread is not for you to get 15 posts, its for u to get answers. Noobs come and open threads which have been discussed several times. The thing your not getting is that you do not need to open a thread to get answers. Search and I guarantee 99% of the questions asked can be answered by search... even unregistered people can search. Search is your friend. If you dont want to search you can ask questions here. not tryna be rude but this place has enough repeated threads already. READ the first post please
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
wxm

Front Driver Side Axle Noise

It has been a couple of months that my 95 Max GLE makes noise from the front driver side. The noise sounds like a dryer in a hall way (by that I mean with a rotation noise with a bit echo) is more noticeable in higher speed (>50 miles). I first thought was the wheel, but the noise is not going away after a balance/rotation. I can't directly relate but couldn't help thinking whether it has anything to do with the left side axle seal replacement job at my local mechanic in the beginning this year. (I have to admit the guys there usually are really good). Anyway, what could be the cause of the noise?

Last edited by wxm; 09-24-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 PM

I've search on here and elsewhere and can't seem to make any headway, so I figure I'll just ask:

Question #1:

Where is the best place to find a replacement for the undercarriage shroud located behind the bumper? Mine is ripped to shreds and currently held up by a spiderweb of Zip-ties.

Question #2: Is it even worth replacing, or should I just take it off? Would it be better just to fabricate a replacement?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NousDefions
I've search on here and elsewhere and can't seem to make any headway, so I figure I'll just ask:

Question #1:

Where is the best place to find a replacement for the undercarriage shroud located behind the bumper? Mine is ripped to shreds and currently held up by a spiderweb of Zip-ties.

Question #2: Is it even worth replacing, or should I just take it off? Would it be better just to fabricate a replacement?

Thanks!
talking about the front splash shields? cheapest would be from a junkyard. i've read somewhere on here iirc that a guy had one made out of a thin sheet of aluminum and said it gave his front some extra down force while driving.
you can also try courtesy parts for a new one, or ebay.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
talking about the front splash shields? cheapest would be from a junkyard. i've read somewhere on here iirc that a guy had one made out of a thin sheet of aluminum and said it gave his front some extra down force while driving.
you can also try courtesy parts for a new one, or ebay.
Yes, probably the splash shields. I suppose searching works better if you actually know what you are searching for.

Aluminum is an interesting idea, although the "extra downforce" bit is fishy at best.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wxm
It has been a couple of months that my 95 Max GLE makes noise from the front driver side. The noise sounds like a dryer in a hall way (by that I mean with a rotation noise with a bit echo) is more noticeable in higher speed (>50 miles). I first thought was the wheel, but the noise is not going away after a balance/rotation. I can't directly relate but couldn't help thinking whether it has anything to do with the left side axle seal replacement job at my local mechanic in the beginning this year. (I have to admit the guys there usually are really good). Anyway, what could be the cause of the noise?
might be the axle job, might be a wheel bearing or a few other things. since you had it done at a shop you should have some kind of warranty on the job - go back and ask them to check it out.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NousDefions
Yes, probably the splash shields. I suppose searching works better if you actually know what you are searching for.

Aluminum is an interesting idea, although the "extra downforce" bit is fishy at best.
actually, if it really works, would be beneficial as it would give you more traction at high speeds. might come off and damage the underside of the car though...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 PM

might be a newb question to ask but......

what is the temperature of the engine/coolent when the needles is all the way to the top??
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Leak or drainage?

I noticed water dripping from a spout of the firewall, passenger side just above the axle. i wasnt running the a/c and it continued dripping after i shut the car off.

Last edited by mgrett; 09-26-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing marks 99 maxima

Hi folks, I am going to pull the timing cover to check my timing chain alignment (this weekend). I replaced the tensioner 5 weeks ago (took the cover off because something fell inside) and since then I have had low power over 2500 RPMs. I think the chain may have jumped. Anyway I could really use help with how to check the alignment. There is enough slack in the chain (with the tensioner pushed in) to make a huge difference. Could someone give me a step by step or a picture. Do I need to make sure the chain is tight on the side opposite the tensioner ? What do the colored links line up with ? Are there marks on the cam pullys ? Is the first mark on the crank pully TDC ?

Sorry if this is a repeat but I try searching and found a lot of timing questions but I still had more.

Gary
Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mgrett
I noticed water dripping from a spout of the firewall, passenger side just above the axle. i wasnt running the a/c and it continued dripping after i shut the car off.
How much coolant is currently in your reservoir?

I'm not sure what was hooked up to that, try checking it when the engine is running. If coolant is pouring out then chances are your missing a hose. If nothing is coming out, turn the heat on ALL THE WAY and check if coolant is pouring out.

Make sure you pay attention to your engine temp while doing this, if it starts getting highter than normal (above midway) turn it off
Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gchase
Hi folks, I am going to pull the timing cover to check my timing chain alignment (this weekend). I replaced the tensioner 5 weeks ago (took the cover off because something fell inside) and since then I have had low power over 2500 RPMs. I think the chain may have jumped. Anyway I could really use help with how to check the alignment. There is enough slack in the chain (with the tensioner pushed in) to make a huge difference. Could someone give me a step by step or a picture. Do I need to make sure the chain is tight on the side opposite the tensioner ? What do the colored links line up with ? Are there marks on the cam pullys ? Is the first mark on the crank pully TDC ?

Sorry if this is a repeat but I try searching and found a lot of timing questions but I still had more.

Gary
I have never done any timing chain work but I found some pics in here

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-problem.html

somebody else might chime in with some info
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darklegend06
might be a newb question to ask but......

what is the temperature of the engine/coolent when the needles is all the way to the top??
high enough not to open the radiator cap...middle is about 180*, probably about 250*? why?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
high enough not to open the radiator cap...middle is about 180*, probably about 250*? why?
why do you ask why.

Just wanted to know......

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!