4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
4 12x1.25 studs, that are a complete PITA to remove except when you blow them out with a torch. If your cat or Y has never been off, chances are they're going to break a stud when pulling the exhaust off.

What are you 'not buying'?
I just wanted some confirmation....this guy has a reputation for ripping ppl off and I just wanted some assurance from an independent source...thank you
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM

I want to upgrade my bose stock sterreo to an aftermarket deck, the guys at future shop said its really hard to do and it wont work without special peices. Is it actually that hard? Any diagrams or links to threads would help very much
Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by watson
I want to upgrade my bose stock sterreo to an aftermarket deck, the guys at future shop said its really hard to do and it wont work without special peices. Is it actually that hard? Any diagrams or links to threads would help very much
Thanks
imo, find a new stereo shop.

All that is needed is an inexpensive adapter piece between the OEM harness and your new aftermarket deck. Everything is plug and play. Shoot, crutchfield throws it in for free, or next to nothing......
Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

RIP - 96 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by MaximaTx
I have a '96 SE with 412,000 miles. Recently it has started stalling from time to time when I take my foot off the gas; sometimes it happens once or twice a day. I have also started getting a P0100 code and an engine check light. But often the engine stalls without sending the code, and sometimes I get the code but the engine doesn't stall. (I've had the check light turned off several times.)

Other than stalling, my performance is unaffected and my MPG hasn't changed.

The dealership and an independant mechanic both ran diagnostics and both told me I needed a new Mass Airflow Sensor, so I bought a Bosch MAF, installed it myself, and it has made no difference. It still stalls and I still get the P0100 code.

The car also has a heart murmur--ie. my timing chain is starting to rattle--so I don't want to spend a ton of money replacing one part after another.

Any suggestions appreciated.
After 412,555 miles my Maxima jumped time and started idling rough (still runs ok at highway speeds, though). The dealership says I've lost compression in 2 cylinders and need a new engine. I'll probably buy a new car, but any suggestions on where to find a cheap rebuilt or low-mileage VQ30DE engine?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

motor swap question

sorry if I missed it but I spent some time searching and couldnt find my eaxact situation. I have the chance to get a complete 2006 altima with a six speed (totaled). What kinda parts would I still need to get to put the motor/trans in my 4th gen? Thanks for the help.

-Chris

Last edited by stingray7574; 12-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bump
Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 PM

Hood strut replacement

Hello all -

I have a '99 SE that does not see much use. While attempting to pull the battery today, I noticed that the hood struts no longer keep the hood open.

I searched for 'hood struts' and found a post regarding replacement prices, but nothing regarding the process. Is it accomplished simply with a screwdriver?

I also noticed a post that mentioned cold weather could affect their operation. It's right around freezing here, but the car is garaged (not heated).

I'd rather not spring for a set, only to find out cold weather was the culprit. Would a hair dryer warm them up enough for a test?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by zeitgeist
Hello all -

I have a '99 SE that does not see much use. While attempting to pull the battery today, I noticed that the hood struts no longer keep the hood open.

I searched for 'hood struts' and found a post regarding replacement prices, but nothing regarding the process. Is it accomplished simply with a screwdriver?

I also noticed a post that mentioned cold weather could affect their operation. It's right around freezing here, but the car is garaged (not heated).

I'd rather not spring for a set, only to find out cold weather was the culprit. Would a hair dryer warm them up enough for a test?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
They all fail. 12mm wrench, studs go into the hood and into the body of the car.

Yes, they tend to perform worse in cold weather. If they're failing in the cold, then they'll fail in the heat as well, sooner or later. Good hood struts will generally hold the hood up just fine in the cold.

Either replace them, or just do what half of the guys here do; vice grips on the piston, or some form of a hood prop.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by MaximaTx
I'll probably buy a new car, but any suggestions on where to find a cheap rebuilt or low-mileage VQ30DE engine?
Get 1 from a junkyard. It'll probably cost you $200-$350.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM

hey guys, well i totaled my max 2 weeks ago so im on the hunt for another one, well i went to look at one yesterday and its a 96 se black leather with bose and all with around 117 k miles on her, the only problem i had with the car is that the temperature gauge was flickering up and down even tho we would just turn the car on or it was iddling. the guys says its a simple fix but what should i check or how much do you think it will be to fix, i know its not much info but any help would be great, thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 2THEMAX98
hey guys, well i totaled my max 2 weeks ago so im on the hunt for another one, well i went to look at one yesterday and its a 96 se black leather with bose and all with around 117 k miles on her, the only problem i had with the car is that the temperature gauge was flickering up and down even tho we would just turn the car on or it was iddling. the guys says its a simple fix but what should i check or how much do you think it will be to fix, i know its not much info but any help would be great, thanks
The one wire connector to the temp sensor to the gauge is likely just loose or is corroded. If not that, then it could be a wiring issue anywhere from there all the way up to the gauge, or a screwed up cluster.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 98 maxima and I am having suspension problems. I had Eibach Lowering Springs and Tockico Blues. My struts are now shot! One of my peoples told me it is because of the eibach Springs. I'm going to change my struts but i dont want to have the same issues again. Did anybody else have any problems with the eibachs?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM

i have those springs and haven't had any problems, i've had them in for about 30,000 miles now
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was reading a post that was talking about MEVI and 00VI and wanted to know what this is and what is the diffrents between the both?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 97-4DSC
i was reading a post that was talking about MEVI and 00VI and wanted to know what this is and what is the diffrents between the both?
MEVI: Middle Eastern Variable Intake.

00vi: '00 Variable Intake (5th gen).

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...mevi-00vi.html
Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM
97 SE Manual

I have a 1997 SE Manual

car runs perfectly fine hasn't given me much problems up until now

when I'm idle at a stop or when I slow down to make a turn the car will turn off...

usually comes right back on when I turn the ignition ; every now and then it will require a few turns of the ignition to get going...

as a result of this I got the spark plugs changed and the fuel filter changed also, but to no avail.... my car still has the same problem...

I call the nissan dealership and explain the problem to the service dept and right off the bat the guy says its probably the crankshaft position sensor....

now b4 I go out and buy another part and and pay to get that replaced.. are there any other things it could possibly be?

I had my check engine light checked and the guy says it said something about the o2 sensor.. but i dont completely trust his judgement i observed him as he worked on my car and i see hes not the most THOROUGHEST mechanic in the world

to add.. for a while I would ride the hell oout of my gas tank like past.. E... before i called the nissan dealership about the issue I was thinking that it could possibly be the fuel pump...

but i did some research on google and found that the symptoms of a faulty fuel pump don't completely match up with what my car is experiencing

but when i did do some research on a cranksheft position sensor...that seems to be the likely culprit

anybody ever experience this and any suggestions??

thanx in advance and ANY help is greatly appreciated.. b/c i really dont trust these mechanics out here and good ones are a rare breed
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Aphilly
I have a 1997 SE Manual

car runs perfectly fine hasn't given me much problems up until now

when I'm idle at a stop or when I slow down to make a turn the car will turn off...

usually comes right back on when I turn the ignition ; every now and then it will require a few turns of the ignition to get going...

as a result of this I got the spark plugs changed and the fuel filter changed also, but to no avail.... my car still has the same problem...

I call the nissan dealership and explain the problem to the service dept and right off the bat the guy says its probably the crankshaft position sensor....

now b4 I go out and buy another part and and pay to get that replaced.. are there any other things it could possibly be?

I had my check engine light checked and the guy says it said something about the o2 sensor.. but i dont completely trust his judgement i observed him as he worked on my car and i see hes not the most THOROUGHEST mechanic in the world

to add.. for a while I would ride the hell oout of my gas tank like past.. E... before i called the nissan dealership about the issue I was thinking that it could possibly be the fuel pump...

but i did some research on google and found that the symptoms of a faulty fuel pump don't completely match up with what my car is experiencing

but when i did do some research on a cranksheft position sensor...that seems to be the likely culprit

anybody ever experience this and any suggestions??

thanx in advance and ANY help is greatly appreciated.. b/c i really dont trust these mechanics out here and good ones are a rare breed
It's possible. Check the codes yourself, see what comes up.

Also, check both of the sensors and the connectors to make sure they aren't dirty/loose.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all, new here.
I just got a 1997 Maxima QX 3.0 V6 24V 193hp.
Got a little confused when I found this site, none of your Maximas look like mine. After searching the web I found that my car is identical to the Cefiro, well almost identical. So I wonder if there's more differences than the exterior?
I will put some photos up as soon as I can.
If I've missed the answer to my question during my searches, would you please be kind to link to those threads.

Last edited by pajerojonas; 01-06-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM

hey people well i got a 96 custom maxima se now i was thinking on putting an msd but idk nothing about this some tell me about MSD Ignition others about msd 2 step are they the same ???? now the reason why im doing this is cuz i whan to backfire whit flame and all that like my freinds EVOs and CIVICs act soo plz help whit these pm or aim thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 96max3189
hey people well i got a 96 custom maxima se now i was thinking on putting an msd but idk nothing about this some tell me about MSD Ignition others about msd 2 step are they the same ???? now the reason why im doing this is cuz i whan to backfire whit flame and all that like my freinds EVOs and CIVICs act soo plz help whit these pm or aim thanks
...wow.

You won't spit flames just with a 2 step, converters, mufflers and resonators tend to filter out most of the excess fuel that would ignite in the exhaust.

If you want to be that much of a ricer, just get a flamethrower kit and a bottle of propane, call it a day.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96max3189
Utterly lame mod, but here you go.....

http://autoloc.carshopinc.com/produc..._id/9204/FLAME
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM

need to know if any of you guys know how to remove the front licence plate frame, i hate the look of it and its really bothering me. Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
No more Maximas...

need to know if any of you guys know how to remove the front licence plate frame, i hate the look of it and its really bothering me. Thanks
Just take a look at it.
  • Remove plate
  • Remove screws affixing frame to bumper cover
  • Profit
Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 PM

thanks bud
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM

k so another question, i already searched but couldnt find anything that would explain it. I have abs on my car, its complete **** and I want to unplug it or something so it doesnt work. The other night when i was in the snow the light came on and i could stop better without abs. anyone know how to exactly disengage abs....i have checked all the fuses under the hood and none have an ABS word on them. i know i have abs cause the system is there. Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
No more Maximas...

k so another question, i already searched but couldnt find anything that would explain it. I have abs on my car, its complete **** and I want to unplug it or something so it doesnt work. The other night when i was in the snow the light came on and i could stop better without abs. anyone know how to exactly disengage abs....i have checked all the fuses under the hood and none have an ABS word on them. i know i have abs cause the system is there. Thanks
You didn't look hard enough. Upper left in the below picture.

There's also the ABS fuse in the interior fuse box (why didn't you check that one, too?):
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I paid 125$ from pinnacle Nissan a few years back,and O too was pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind, it is called a bumper cover, not a bumper. The cover is just the plastic / composite you see there. The actual bumper is metal, and bolts onto the subframe.

Since you only want it for replacement and you weren't involved in any sort of crash, it will be fairly cheap. For me, I had to do some fabrication on one of my bumper mounts so that the bumper cover would be straight when mounted to the actual bumper, since I did hit a wall.

Huh, this one looks easy.

The dead LCA bushing is easy to fix and is also a common problem with older Maximas. It is typically caused by a PS fluid leak. The power steering fluid leaks onto that particular bushing and breaks it down. I was too lazy to fix the leak, so I just got a new LCA. You can get them from eBay with the bushing in for ~ 60$. It shouldn't take more than an hour to replace. But, you may want to try and pinpoint the leak and fix it, that would be the smart / correct way to do it.

Your other problem is most likely caused by the engine coolant temp sensor (ECTS), which you mentioned turned up in the codes that were read. Search for ECTS sensor on here. It's a cheap part (less than 40$) and wont take more than 10 minutes to replace.
ok i got the part. they sell them in advance auto for 25 bucks. but now my question is, where is it located on the engine?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by riccohou
ok i got the part. they sell them in advance auto for 25 bucks. but now my question is, where is it located on the engine?
Originally Posted by nhaven
A hammer, 19mm wrench and some teflon tape. Just be gentle with the hammer.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM

oh. lol. good ****. thanks. that saved me the trouble of figuring it out with words
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM

My airbag light went off and apparently I have to replace the passenger side airbag. The stealership offered $815 for parts and labor. Soo... I'm just going to replace it myself. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on pass side airbags? the stealership was offering $560 for the part.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Kilo15
My airbag light went off and apparently I have to replace the passenger side airbag. The stealership offered $815 for parts and labor. Soo... I'm just going to replace it myself. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on pass side airbags? the stealership was offering $560 for the part.
Well, you could try a junkyard. Most if not all stores won't ship them, as they're extremely dangerous to ship. Brand new they're going to be fairly expensive, so used is your best bet. Have you checked eBay? There are quite a few sets there. Also I'm sure Maxima_Joe has a bunch.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 PM

new question. i was recently in an accident.

anyway. i destroyed the passenger side suspension. i had to replace the axle, lower control arm, and inner and outer tie rods. ever since the accident i notice while driving that my passenger side likes to rock up and down ALOT. and i have no clue why?!? it does it alot when im turning or going any faster then 30. it sucks ***** cuz i feel like something is just gona break any minute. also i went for an alignment and they told me my passenger side camber is off by a little. so my question is what do you think would be causing my car to do this??

and another question is my passenger side door (even before the accident) i noticed was always hanging a little low. it always hits the bottom when i close it. how can i fix this?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 AM

new question. i was recently in an accident.

anyway. i destroyed the passenger side suspension. i had to replace the axle, lower control arm, and inner and outer tie rods. ever since the accident i notice while driving that my passenger side likes to rock up and down ALOT. and i have no clue why?!? it does it alot when im turning or going any faster then 30. it sucks ***** cuz i feel like something is just gona break any minute. also i went for an alignment and they told me my passenger side camber is off by a little. so my question is what do you think would be causing my car to do this??

and another question is my passenger side door (even before the accident) i noticed was always hanging a little low. it always hits the bottom when i close it. how can i fix this?
Check your strut, upon impact it may have been damaged. Look for oil or wet dirt on the strut surface ....as far as the door goes, I don't know mine is 12 yrs old an still sits perfect- Maybe you can shim it like on older car or maybe the hinge has had it. Some one else will prolly chime in on this.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by maxpeed96plat.
Check your strut, upon impact it may have been damaged. Look for oil or wet dirt on the strut surface ....as far as the door goes, I don't know mine is 12 yrs old an still sits perfect- Maybe you can shim it like on older car or maybe the hinge has had it. Some one else will prolly chime in on this.
what do u mean my shim it?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just recently got a 98 Grey Maxima and while the rest of the body is still in good condition the hood is kinda faded due to sun exposure. Should i just get the hood repainted or the whole body? I have heard its more just to get a piece painted rather then whole body.

Also any opinions on cold air intake systems like K&N? Are they they a good upgrade performance wise for the Maxima?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DE2theMAX
Just recently got a 98 Grey Maxima and while the rest of the body is still in good condition the hood is kinda faded due to sun exposure. Should i just get the hood repainted or the whole body? I have heard its more just to get a piece painted rather then whole body.

Also any opinions on cold air intake systems like K&N? Are they they a good upgrade performance wise for the Maxima?
That's up to you, call around for quotes on how much it'll cost. If you get just the hood repainted, it likely won't match the rest of the body given how long the other paint has been exposed to the elements, fading and such.

A good full respray will cost you 2 or 3 grand, easy. A hood will be a few hundred, likely.

You're not going to notice any major power increases with an intake, they're mostly just sound.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM

what do u mean my shim it?

I think this may help you: http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...djustment.html
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM

A/C Evaporator removal

Hey just wanted to know if I can access my a/c evaporator without taking apart the enire dash to remove it and install a new one? And if there's any tips or things I might need to do before removing and installing... right now there's no freon in the system at the moment.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by azn_mint
Hey just wanted to know if I can access my a/c evaporator without taking apart the enire dash to remove it and install a new one? And if there's any tips or things I might need to do before removing and installing... right now there's no freon in the system at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

Just remove the glove box...there's a bar that might give you some trouble upon removal of glove box, but you can wiggle it out IIRC. As for tips: clean out the casing, clean the surface of the coil and use new o-rings. Place a vacuum before charging the system- Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima club of SoCal

When's the next meet? Or is Maxima.org having a meet? Would like to attend. Thanks

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!