4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to change brake shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:17 AM

How to change brake shoes?

Anyone know if chaging the shoes is a DoItYourself project? Or should it be brought to a place. Any special tools involved? How long should it take?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Maintenance Monster

It'll take forever. You'll spend all day and never find even one brake shoe on your car.

Changing brake pads is much more realistic. Fronts take me about an hour and rears take a little more since I always have to futz around with the retracting the rear piston, and the tool I use for it doesn't work that great. Just remember you HAVE to turn the rear caliper pistons to retract them, and there are specific tools to do it. If yours are nice and smooth a pair of needlenose pliers may work though.

Dave
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 AM

I used needle nose pliers for the rear pistons, worked fine for me. Remember to watch where that brake fluid goes! It'll f*** up your paint the second it gets on there.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM
What's next!?..

We have disc brakes on all 4 corners so it's brake pads.

Changing them is fairly easy with the right tools.
- Metric socket set and rachet
- Medium breaker bar and/or hammer if the bolts are really tight
- Liquid wrench spray
- Brake cleaning spray
- C clamp to COMPRESS the Front brake caliper pistons
- little square brake tool for ROTATING the Rear brake caliper pistons back in
- some brake grease to regrease the glide pins
- anti-seize grease to put on the caliper bolts when you reinstall
- maybe some anti-squeel grease depnding on the replacement pads you get

If it's your first time, do it with someone with experience to make the process go faster. The basic steps can be found all over the internet.

Make sure to loosen the brake fluid resevoir cap and wrap a towel around it in case excess fluid comes out when you compress the pistons back in.

Also, I advise doing this in the morning on a Saturday when you have a 2nd car handy. Just in case you run into something thats completely broken and needs replacing. (glide pins, calipers, etc.)
Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
.org window licker

also when turning the rear take the brake fluid cap off i didnt one time and i blew a line .... yea yea its what happens when u mess with air tools :P
anyways all you do is.....
remove the rim 5 bolts and its off
once in there you will see the caliper (clamps onto the disc) which is called the rotor and a line that is leading to the clamp (caliper)
ok now that you see what it is that you are looking at on the back of the caliper(clamp thingie) there will b 4 bolts i believe the outter ones are the ones that you are going for if you look at it b for you take them off you will see that they are the bolts that hold the caliper on
ok so once the caliper is loose remove it try to rest it so that you dont put too much stress on the break line (even though it is a strong rubber you can break it ) i suggest resting it somewhere on the suspension or the control arm or somewhere that you can find.. now you need to pull the disc off (rotor) i suggest replacing them they are about 15 - 30 bux at advances autoparts than you need the break pads now b for you put the pads in you will need to compress the caliper (clamp thingie) so that the new brakes will fit arround the new or resurfaces rotors
now when putting in the new break pads make sure to replace the littls pin that sits atop the break pads this will help with squeaking, also you can apply break anti-squeak on the BACK SIDE of the pads, not on the breaking surface!!
once all that is done you need to move to the rear
on the rear i say to go to advanced or somewhere and get the tool that is required for the job it is about 6 bux to 10 bux and it looks like a rubix cube,
it helps especially when not trying to round out the fitting on the caliper
now when on the rear dont freak out it will look different in a few ways, ex. it has the e brake on it and compresses differently
anyway if you have any questions just post up on here and im sure that you will get a few guys or girls to help

also guys if i missed something please dont murder me i just woke up

good night
-Jared
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 AM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by JPMax
We have disc brakes on all 4 corners so it's brake pads.

Changing them is fairly easy with the right tools.
- Metric socket set and rachet
- Medium breaker bar and/or hammer if the bolts are really tight
- Liquid wrench spray
- Brake cleaning spray
- C clamp to COMPRESS the Front brake caliper pistons
- little square brake tool for ROTATING the Rear brake caliper pistons back in
- some brake grease to regrease the glide pins
- anti-seize grease to put on the caliper bolts when you reinstall
- maybe some anti-squeel grease depnding on the replacement pads you get

If it's your first time, do it with someone with experience to make the process go faster. The basic steps can be found all over the internet.

Make sure to loosen the brake fluid resevoir cap and wrap a towel around it in case excess fluid comes out when you compress the pistons back in.

Also, I advise doing this in the morning on a Saturday when you have a 2nd car handy. Just in case you run into something thats completely broken and needs replacing. (glide pins, calipers, etc.)

lol i was typing when you were hope that we helped him out!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:49 PM

its def a job you can do on your own.>>DONT pay someone to do something you can do yourself
Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dayle97SE
Anyone know if chaging the shoes is a DoItYourself project? Or should it be brought to a place. Any special tools involved? How long should it take?
Well,...how did the brake shoe install turn out..?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:47 PM
<3's the all motor section

i bet you will all feel like morons when you find out he meant emergency brake shoes...so yes i think he will find brake shoes on his car.

but hey its cool, i remember when i use to act smarter than someone who was asking for help.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by XJinCT
i bet you will all feel like morons when you find out he meant emergency brake shoes...so yes i think he will find brake shoes on his car.

but hey its cool, i remember when i use to act smarter than someone who was asking for help.
I wonder if average mechanic if changes ours? I surpose they don't get a lot of use but I don't ever recall being charged for rear shoes for ebrake(yes I know they exist)
Old 06-17-2007, 05:38 PM

i bet you will all feel like morons when you find out he meant emergency brake shoes
Um no.... the e-brake clamps on the same pad. I know because I just did the rear brakes on a 99 i30t like 4 hours.... Twas a b!tch. after the 2 rears, I had to settle to do the fronts some other day. Maybe asians are weak...

My recommendation- get the socket extension. Install the caliper without the rotor/pad and turn it back using the cube on a socket extender. Oh yeah, you gonna need the cube brake caliper tool.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Who feels like the idiot now.
i bet you will all feel like morons when you find out he meant emergency brake shoes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Maintenance Monster

??

I'll give you $1000 if you can remove the "e-brake shoes" from my car.

Dave
Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Whatchyou say?

cheers!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Seriously I thought our cars had mini-drum brake for the e-brake
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM

I recommend for a first time brake change, you take a digital picture so you can referrence later when you have all those extra parts.