Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 1,168
Points: 13,020, Level: 74
Points: 13,020, Level: 74 Points: 13,020, Level: 74 Points: 13,020, Level: 74
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to TsingTsaoNYC
How you know if you catalytic converter is bad?

How would you know if your cat is bad? Would you be smelling a strong ordor of gas from the exhaust?
__________________


Homepage
TsingTsaoNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Levittown PA
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 989
Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Activity: 0.2%
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Send a message via Yahoo to STILLENGLE
yes and you would probably throw a O2 sensor code.
__________________
Take it to the Max!



STILLENGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 871
yeah you would definitely get a code. it's a pretty easy thing to remove so just get under there and take it off and look in it. if any of the honeycomb is melted or missing, you should probably get a new one
RicoSuave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
'Trynna' is not a word

 
mtrai760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle Area, WA
iTrader: (19)
Posts: 7,085
Points: 21,600, Level: 92
Points: 21,600, Level: 92 Points: 21,600, Level: 92 Points: 21,600, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. What is with the bad info being given out? If you don't know what your talking about, then STFU!

You should NOT get a strong smell of gas from a bad converter. If you have a strong smell of gas, its from something else. If you smell sulfer, or what smells like rotten eggs, that is a good indication that your cat is going out. A cat can start to clog and fail, and NOT give a CEL, so just because you don't have a CEL does not mean your cat is fine.

If you have the strong smell of fuel, start by checking all of your fuel lines. Check your fuel filter, look for moist looking dirt collecting around areas where none should be, on the fuel lines or components they connect to. Check out your evap system, a failure may be causing fumes from your fuel tank to vent out under the car.

Tell us what problem your having specifically, and we can help you more. Oh, and ignore any comments from 16yo kids who
__________________
98 SE - VQ35 Sold
2009 SV - Stock
Boost, juice, conversions, been there, done that.
mtrai760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
iTrader: (4)
Posts: 672
Points: 8,965, Level: 63
Points: 8,965, Level: 63 Points: 8,965, Level: 63 Points: 8,965, Level: 63
Activity: 0.7%
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Send a message via AIM to GStrength
yep i was gonna say a stank *** egg smell is always a good tell tale sign of a cat going bad or an already bad cat
GStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 3,499
^^^ thank you.... some people here dont know their a$$ from their elbow...

besides U NEVER play with cat that has melted that $**** is bad for you...
f550maranello2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Levittown PA
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 989
Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Activity: 0.2%
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Send a message via Yahoo to STILLENGLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by f550maranello2
^^^ thank you.... some people here dont know their a$$ from their elbow...

besides U NEVER play with cat that has melted that $**** is bad for you...
yea but it would still sometimes throw a O2 sensor code.
__________________
Take it to the Max!



STILLENGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 3,499
it might.. but that rear O2 doesnt do much anyways... but yea it will after a long time of driving with it bad..
f550maranello2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Levittown PA
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 989
Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51 Points: 6,185, Level: 51
Activity: 0.2%
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Send a message via Yahoo to STILLENGLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by f550maranello2
it might.. but that rear O2 doesnt do much anyways... but yea it will after a long time of driving with it bad..
so iam not totally wrong on the subject you made it sound like i was 100% wrong.
__________________
Take it to the Max!



STILLENGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 3,499
no i was referring to the post below urs...
f550maranello2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami, FL
iTrader: (8)
Posts: 9,118
Points: 16,415, Level: 82
Points: 16,415, Level: 82 Points: 16,415, Level: 82 Points: 16,415, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to nismology
If you are not sure about the subject matter, either say you're not sure or don't post.


Thanks.
nismology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 198
Points: 4,886, Level: 44
Points: 4,886, Level: 44 Points: 4,886, Level: 44 Points: 4,886, Level: 44
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Folks,....

eventually, what are the symptoms exactly I can know the cat is gone?
svojs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
VIP Maxima
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
you would smell rotten eggs under heavy load
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 1,043
Points: 7,566, Level: 58
Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The BEST way to tell if you have a bad cat is to have a tech measure the INLET and OUTLET temp of the cat with the engine running. If the INLET temp is the SAME or LOWER than the OUTLET temp, you have a bad cat. Many techs will just bang on the cat and listen for rattling from the substrate. This won't always work. If the cat is clogged, you'll get power loss.
Things that can cause a clogged cat include: excessive and EXTENDED (KEY WORDS) rich fuel mixture is the usual culprit. So you will want to check teh car out to make sure the engine is running properly.
You won't always get the rotten egg odor.
If you have access to a pyrometer and a lift, then you obviously can check for yourself; otherwise, if you go to shop, INSIST that they check the temps, and WATCH them to make sure they do it.
Sounbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 1,168
Points: 13,020, Level: 74
Points: 13,020, Level: 74 Points: 13,020, Level: 74 Points: 13,020, Level: 74
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to TsingTsaoNYC
Thanks guys!!

I think my cat is fine, no codes, no smell of rotten egss, and no smell of gas, was just asking if that would be a symptom.
__________________


Homepage
TsingTsaoNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #16
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 2
melted 02 sensor & cats gone

Anyone else end up with an 02 sensor that was melted and chunks of crap that look like volcanic rock coming out of their cats?

My mechanic, in trying to save me some money, is going to replace the back and center cats, but hollow out the front one because the price he found on it was about $700 ($480 for the center and ~$350 for the rear).

Car has been knocking/pinging under even the slightest acceleration after warmed up. It is now throwing P0430, that's how we were positive I needed at least 1 cat.

Any advice or comments? I read something about needing to make sure those pieces of crap from the cats don't get back into your engine. Any advice on how you make sure of that, and that your engine isn't already screwed? Thanks!
tesmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #17
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 1,043
Points: 7,566, Level: 58
Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
There has to be a reason WHY the cat is bad, and that means you need to see what's wrong with the ENGINE FIRST. Otherwise, you're going to have the same issue again. The car should not ping even under as you call it; "slightest acceleration".
In other words, cat substrate don't typically melt just because.
__________________
FORMER Owner of one of the LEAST modded Maximas on the Org...
310,xxx miles and counting-just broken in!! The transmission is REALLY broken!!
Sounbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #18
The Dirty Pearl

 
pmohr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clinton, TN
iTrader: (26)
Posts: 14,313
Points: 23,104, Level: 93
Points: 23,104, Level: 93 Points: 23,104, Level: 93 Points: 23,104, Level: 93
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesmegs View Post
Anyone else end up with an 02 sensor that was melted and chunks of crap that look like volcanic rock coming out of their cats?

My mechanic, in trying to save me some money, is going to replace the back and center cats, but hollow out the front one because the price he found on it was about $700 ($480 for the center and ~$350 for the rear).

Car has been knocking/pinging under even the slightest acceleration after warmed up. It is now throwing P0430, that's how we were positive I needed at least 1 cat.

Any advice or comments? I read something about needing to make sure those pieces of crap from the cats don't get back into your engine. Any advice on how you make sure of that, and that your engine isn't already screwed? Thanks!
Back, center, and front referring to...

First, cali or fed spec?

Fed spec cars only have one converter, between the Y and B pipes. Cali specs have two, one on the front manifold and the regular between Y/B.

Assuming you're cali spec (since you mention a front specifically, and who would hollow out the y?), it would be preferable to do a fed-spec conversion on the front manifold, and get an aftermarket y-pipe. That will take care of your front converter and the pre-cat in the Y, for probably the same price (ish) as a brand new Y-pipe (which he would have to get to replace your 'center cat').

P0430 (especially that you mention your O2 being fouled up badly) could easily just be one of the two O2 sensors on the left bank.
__________________
A32 CEL Decoder | FSMs | Howto Videos
pmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 2
Sounbwoy, I understand and agree that I need to find out what's wrong with the engine, but... how do I do that? No codes being thrown...yet.

The cat's replaced (Yes, Cali spec so 4 sensors and 3 cats), but the really bad acceleration pinging/knocking remains.

Mechanic found P0158 and I believe another code and replaced 2 02 sensors. That didn't do it, SES came on again. Then he found a TSB that said replace 2 sensors and then have the ECM reprogrammed. He couldn't do that, so sent me to Nissan. That's when I found out he'd replaced 1 front and 1 rear 02. The TSB said replace the 2 rear. The second rear was the melted one.

Is "left bank" the front? That's the only one not replaced yet... another $175+!

The next thing we're doing is the spark plugs. Hopefully he didn't already order them and will go for colder ones, from everything I've read here.

Sounbwoy, I'm open to other suggestions, please. Thanks.
tesmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
Horizontally opposed.
 
mowgli29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
iTrader: (21)
Posts: 1,184

Send a message via MSN to mowgli29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai760 View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. What is with the bad info being given out? If you don't know what your talking about, then STFU!

You should NOT get a strong smell of gas from a bad converter. If you have a strong smell of gas, its from something else. If you smell sulfer, or what smells like rotten eggs, that is a good indication that your cat is going out. A cat can start to clog and fail, and NOT give a CEL, so just because you don't have a CEL does not mean your cat is fine.

If you have the strong smell of fuel, start by checking all of your fuel lines. Check your fuel filter, look for moist looking dirt collecting around areas where none should be, on the fuel lines or components they connect to. Check out your evap system, a failure may be causing fumes from your fuel tank to vent out under the car.

Tell us what problem your having specifically, and we can help you more. Oh, and ignore any comments from 16yo kids who

j/w here... why would a failing or failed cat, smell different than no cat?
cats just cause a chemical reaction...could it be that whatever causes the cat to fail, changes the reaction and produces the egg smell?

Also, if it hasn't thrown a code, chances are it's working well enough to pass emissions, no? Does it take a REALLY bad cat to trigger a CEL?
__________________
2002 Platinum Silver Metallic WRX
VF34, STi Pinks, Catless TBE, UP, ACT Fly, Prodrive 04 Reds, 255/40-17 Star Specs, UTEC Tuned @ 19psi


1997 Rosewood 5MT SE - totaled.
1995 Sage Mist Green GXE - sold.
1990 Ruby Pearl SE - sold.

FOR SALE! http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-cleanout.html
mowgli29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: houston tx
iTrader: (67)
Posts: 8,610
Points: 18,792, Level: 86
Points: 18,792, Level: 86 Points: 18,792, Level: 86 Points: 18,792, Level: 86
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to chillin014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli29 View Post
j/w here... why would a failing or failed cat, smell different than no cat?
cats just cause a chemical reaction...could it be that whatever causes the cat to fail, changes the reaction and produces the egg smell?

Also, if it hasn't thrown a code, chances are it's working well enough to pass emissions, no? Does it take a REALLY bad cat to trigger a CEL?
I was wondering the same thing. Im going to get rid of my cat but I dont want it to smell like rotten eggs.
chillin014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #22
Horizontally opposed.
 
mowgli29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
iTrader: (21)
Posts: 1,184

Send a message via MSN to mowgli29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin014 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Im going to get rid of my cat but I dont want it to smell like rotten eggs.
Actually, I don't have a cat, just a test pipe. It just smells like raw exhaust, you can tell there is no cat. I kinda like the smell actually.
I was just wondering why a bad cat would smell different than my test pipe.
__________________
2002 Platinum Silver Metallic WRX
VF34, STi Pinks, Catless TBE, UP, ACT Fly, Prodrive 04 Reds, 255/40-17 Star Specs, UTEC Tuned @ 19psi


1997 Rosewood 5MT SE - totaled.
1995 Sage Mist Green GXE - sold.
1990 Ruby Pearl SE - sold.

FOR SALE! http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-cleanout.html
mowgli29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #23
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: houston tx
iTrader: (67)
Posts: 8,610
Points: 18,792, Level: 86
Points: 18,792, Level: 86 Points: 18,792, Level: 86 Points: 18,792, Level: 86
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to chillin014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli29 View Post
Actually, I don't have a cat, just a test pipe. It just smells like raw exhaust, you can tell there is no cat. I kinda like the smell actually.
I was just wondering why a bad cat would smell different than my test pipe.
lol I'm so sick of smelling exhaust and gas and burning fluids/coolant.

guess I should fix the leaks first.
chillin014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup