4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help, Windows won't roll up or down, Sunroof out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 AM

Help, Windows won't roll up or down, Sunroof out

I checked every fuse in the car and engine bay. My sunroof just stopped working, also I have no power windows and the cruise control is also out. I really don't want the dealership to fix this so i'm hoping to get some good advise quickly.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 PM

bump.
Please some one hlep me out. I found out today that my trunk light is also out.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 AM

I once had the windows go out on me. I was able to roll down the front windows using my remote, but they wouldn't go up or down with anything else. I eventually found out that the driver side window controls got disconnected. I just popped it back in and it worked again. I'm sorry, I can't comment on the sunroof. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 AM

You need a shop manual to trace the sunroof and window wires back to a common point (if there actually is a common problem). The truck light is probably a different circuit but check the diagram anyway. You can get the Haynes manual at the auto parts store or you can download the shop manual from phatg20.com (and then convert the .rar file to .pdf). You will need a voltmeter (or one of those little lights in a screwdriver tools) and some patients to do this job. Otherwise, pay the shop to do it.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Bacon Lover

Definitely check to see if the plug on your driver's window controls are tight like polvoronn said. THEN worry about more advanced things like looking at wiring diagrams. Could just be a series of coincidences.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM

I already did that. The drivers side control is plug in securely. I even went to the junk yard and try to get another one and tested it, only to find out that it's the same problem. My sunroff, cruise control, trunk light, and power windows are still not working. I already took it to nissan, hopefully they figure out the problem
Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 AM

well nissan said that it my master switch.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM

my friends 95 se once did this all his windows just stopped and sunroof didnt work...took it to one of our friends he reset some relay(this is after about 6 months of the windows not working)started up the car and they rolled right up and have worked ever since...
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Doesn't the BCM control all of these? Well, maybe not the sunroof, but the data lines for the windows run through the BCM, as well as the trunk light, I believe.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Well the problem is still not fixed. I went to lkq junkyard and bought another master switch after the dealer stated that it was the problem. I installed the other one from lkq junk yard and the problem still persists. PLEASE HELP I don't want to turn this in to nissan for an "open" ticket. They charge $85/hr till they fix the problem
Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 PM

For those down don't know. My sunroof, power windows, cruise control, trunklight do not work. The automatic door locks work even on the master switch. The remote rolls down the front windows as usual. Please help, it might be a relay of some type that needs to be replaced
Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM

The sunroof circuit is the easiest circuit of all of these to troubleshoot , so I would try getting the sunroof working first and then see if the windows,cruise and so on work once the sunroof is fixed. The master switch has nothing to do with the sunroof so changing that would not repair the sunroof. There is a circuit breaker #2 that is common to the windows and the sunroof, even though it resets itself and I doubt that is the problem. you need to make sure you are getting 12VDC to the yellow and red wire of the sunroof motor when the ignition switch is on.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM

The ignition switch could also cause this type of problem, you cannot open windows or sunroof or use cruise control if you don't have power to them from your ignition switch. Try playing with the key in the ignition switch and see if windows or sunroof start working. The ignition key/switch is the only thing common to the windows, sunroof and cruise control. The trunk lamp has nothing to do with the ignition switch but it is another circuit that should be easy for someone with basic electrical knowledge to trouble shoot. Fix the easy problems first.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 PM

One more thing to think about, remote window open does not need ignition switch to be on to open the windows, but if you want to open the windows manually the ignition switch has to be on that is why I suspect a problem with the switch. Hope all this helps.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM

keep them coming

Thanks a lot for the help. Keep the information coming.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM

once in a blue moon my windows also do this bu *** resets after a couple of seconds. usually on a hot day when i put the front windows up and close the sunroof at the same time. i would check your relays under the dash. i always hear mine when it goes out. try to put the windows up with a battery for now just make a jumper the will connect the ground and + so they go up. the sunroof is just as easy
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM

Hey joepino

which relays did you check under your dash? I have my windows and sunroof closed. I jumped the windows to get both up
Old 08-30-2007, 04:52 PM

I have the factory manuals and wiring diagrams and know how to read them, if I thought it was a particular relay or fuse I would let you know. But the symptoms you describe rule out some of the fuses or relays. For example If your power window 30 A fuse was blow the window would not work with your remote fob. What did you jump to get the windows up? Have you tried the ignition switch?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 PM

You can try swapping out some of the fuses or relays related to the sunroof or power windows with ones of the same value that may be mounted in the same area. Can't hurt. It's difficult to trouble shoot if you don't have a meter or tester.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM

ill look tomorrow my dash is pretty much a shell since i installed my remote start and took the bigger brackets out for neons and stuff
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM

All I did to get the windows up was hook up a positive and negative from the battery to the window wire. Just reverse it and it will power up the window. Reverse it and it will power down the window. All my fuses are good I checked under the dash. I'm thinking it might be a ciruit breaker #2. I'm trying to get this fixed before I have to go to nissan and give me the open ticket option. They will figure it out and fix it at $85 an hr
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM

I had the same thing happen to me when I incorectly tried to do the cruise control switch bypass (the instructions on VQpower were for a 95-96 and I have 99 with a different relay). In MY case it turned out that the cruise, roof, windows all worked fine it was the switches in the the car that wwere not getting power. On my 99 it turned out that fuse #12 inside the car (a 7/5 amp one) provides power to the interior switches. I replaced it and sunroof, cruise and windows all came back.

I know you said you checked the fuses but maybe try replacing fuse #12 just for the heck of it. it worked for me. Good luck
Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 PM

CB#2 is a possiblity, it's strange though that the window will lower using the remote. How did the problem start? Any thing special happen? If it's any consolation this should be a fairly simple problem for anyone who knows how to troubleshoot automobile electronics and has the wiring diagrams to fix. These are not complex circuits. I'm not sure I would trust Nissan considering they said its the master switch.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 PM

I agree with the possibility of fuse # 12 7.5 AMP fuse as being a possible cause, How are you checking these fuses? If you are just doing a visual that does not always work. try changing the fuse even if it appears good.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

I just pulled out F12 ( same effect as blown fuse) and checked the operation of windows and sunroof. With F12 "blown" the windows and sunroof do not operate but the windows will lower with the remote control. I suggest you change F12 (7.5 amp) fuse its the bottom fuse in the middle row of fuses inside the car. It's possible a new fuse may blow if there is still a short in one of the circuits it protects.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM

I'll be shocked if F12 is not the cause of your trouble. Again do you remember doing anything just prior to this problem occuring?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM

Nopike,

Excellent work simulating the problem for Morph..I can't wait to see if you nailed it !!!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks Big EEEE, I've done plenty of circuit trouble shooting over the years, it can be fun to figure these out. It's usually a lot easier if you can take some voltage measurements, these are simple circuits. If its not F12 its going to be a bad conection or short within that circuit. I'm still curious how it all started, just out of the blue or was Morpheus2010 working on the car?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM

Firt off thank you all for the growing interest in my problem. Ok since everyone is curious as to what I was doing. Here is the suprise NOTHING.
I drove to college with the windows down and bumping my music. Rolled the windows up and went to class. Left class rolled the windows back down and drove home. On the way home it was getting too hot so I decided to rolled my windows up and use the AC, and thats when I realized that they would not roll up. I decied to go over to the Patrick Air force base hobby shop and try and figure out whats going on asap.
I checked all the fuses under the dash with a fuse checker(the little thing you can get at autozone that lights up if the fuse is good)
I checked all the fuses in the engine bay especially the power windows 30 amp one, which I compared to a new one I was about to buy at auto zone. The new one and used on in my engine looked exactly the same even the customer service rep at auto zone said it was fine.

I'll check fuse #12 as you recommend and hopefully that is the problem I'll even just change it out just incase with another 7.5 amp fuse. So I was not doing any wiring at the time or even touching any electrical component. Only thing i was doing to listen to music and driving.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 PM

Well I can't belive it but I just went outside and rechecked my fuses. I went to fuse#12 and would you believe it IT'S BLOWN. I'm very suprised and relieved. Before I get all excited that I found the problem I'm going to replace the fuse and hopefully it fixes the problem.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man i hope you get it going, hopefully it doesn't rain there. Knock on wood
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM

Well i replaced the fuse and the windows and sunroof started working. I was getting relieved but about maybe 30 mins later the fuse was blown again. The trunk light still does not work nor does all the indoor illumination. Which fuse is it for those. I need to find out whats causing the fuses to blow.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Morpheus2010
Well i replaced the fuse and the windows and sunroof started working. I was getting relieved but about maybe 30 mins later the fuse was blown again. The trunk light still does not work nor does all the indoor illumination. Which fuse is it for those. I need to find out whats causing the fuses to blow.
FSM says fuse number 26, 7.5A, but the wiring diagram shows fuse 18, 7.5A. Whichever it is, it's a 7.5 amp fuse...

There's gotta be a short somewhere that's blowing your other fuse, basically short of checking all the connections and tracing the entire harness, you can't do much about it. That consists of the harness going into all of the doors, and up to the sunroof, basically.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the harness layout that involved the power windows -

Last edited by pmohr; 04-16-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM

My FSM wiring diagram showns F26 7.5A as trunk room lamp fuse. Except the trunk lamp is all this fuse controls. How many fuses can we have blown. F26 is worth changing.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Nopike
My FSM wiring diagram showns F26 7.5A as trunk room lamp fuse. Except the trunk lamp is all this fuse controls. How many fuses can we have blown. F26 is worth changing.
F26 controls both the trunk lamp and the two dome lights:

Last edited by pmohr; 04-16-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 PM

I will change fuse#26 and see if that blows right after. I will also replace fuse #12 again and see if it blows again. So to find out where the short is occuring I would need to get someone to check the harnesses? I'm thinking about finding a good automotive electrician but don't seem to know any. I might just go to nissan and have them fix it.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Too bad you guys are not here so you can fix my car. i'm in florida
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM

That would be too easy. If you are not in a hurry and want to keep trying, I'll try and help. Maybe we'll never fix it or we may be getting very close to solving your problem, it's difficult to say. What ever the problem turns out to be it will probably end up being something pretty simple. Try those fuses and let me know.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM

I will change the fuse, 12&26 later on today when the sun is up. I'll also just take my doors off so when I eventually take it to nissan it will take them less time. I don't want to messing with my door leds. I'm going to just put almost everything(aftermarket) on quick disconnects since apparently I end up going into my two front doors a lot more that I thought I ever would
Old 09-02-2007, 07:34 AM

Have you or the previous owner, if you purchased the car used, done any work/mods to the electrical system?

Quick Reply: Help, Windows won't roll up or down, Sunroof out