4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clicking noise when turning wheel, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 10:10 PM

clicking noise when turning wheel, help!!!

Here is the deal. My CV boot tore and a couple weeks later it started making this clicking noise so I assumed the CV joint was shot. The thing is that I replaced the drivers side axle with a reman. and everything went fine, but it still makes the same noise. It does not happen when I am moving though(I did the test where you drive in a hard circle both directions at low speed, and it did not make noise). It only seems to make this noise when I am turning the wheel either way. Does this sound like a problem with the steering components? When I get a little extra time I will jack the car up and take off the wheel and listen for this noise with a small diameter hose when the wheel is being turned. Can anyone suggest anything else to check while I have it on the stands. Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks, TED
Old 09-24-2001, 10:53 PM

Couple of ideas:

1) Spring is not set correctly on the perches and is binding as you turn the steering wheel

2) Strut bearing is worn out

3) Make sure the strut mounting bolts (upper and lower) are torqued correctly
Old 09-25-2001, 05:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Strut Bearings

Sounds like the strut bearing. I had to replace mine after I put H&R springs in. I destroyed them by putting them in upside down. what an idioit. Thats what happens when you have to many people helping you with a job.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:36 PM

Re: clicking noise when turning wheel, help!!!

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Here is the deal. My CV boot tore and a couple weeks later it started making this clicking noise so I assumed the CV joint was shot. The thing is that I replaced the drivers side axle with a reman. and everything went fine, but it still makes the same noise. It does not happen when I am moving though(I did the test where you drive in a hard circle both directions at low speed, and it did not make noise). It only seems to make this noise when I am turning the wheel either way. Does this sound like a problem with the steering components? When I get a little extra time I will jack the car up and take off the wheel and listen for this noise with a small diameter hose when the wheel is being turned. Can anyone suggest anything else to check while I have it on the stands. Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks, TED

If you determine the cause to be a worn strut bearing, do not simply re-grease the bearings: Replace them. I performed this job using the following site as a guide, and ignoring the Haynes manual advice of replacing the bearings. The re-greasing lasted two weeks before the clunking returned. Once the grease breaks down, the bearings tend to break down also. This site is helpful, as long as you replace the bearings.http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/strut_bearing/strut_bearing.htm