4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Leaking exhaust gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Leaking exhaust gasket...

When I changed my clutch I tried to do everything by the book - I bought all new exhaust gaskets for when I re-installed the y-pipe but the one that goes between the y'pipe and cat was a POS. I knew just by looking at it that it probably want going to work as it was only a single layer of what looked like cardboard. I installed it anyway but its leaking... It's now winter and my 3rd gen is in my garage and I dont want to take off the y-pipe in worry the flex joint wont survive removal again... is there any sort of sealant which will hold up to the heat/pressure long enough to e-test it?

I am thinking a little RTV sealant might work... but anybody have any other ideas
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM
No more Maximas...

What did you buy, auto parts store gaskets? They all (AFAIK) use paper gaskets, for exhaust I purely go Nissan. The new design is triple layer metal gaskets for all the two bolt flanges in the exhaust, and they've never leaked for me (even after 20+ r&r's of the exhaust).
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah tripple aluminim plate was what was on originally - I would have just thrown (the autozone) gasket back in her face but it was a saturday and was all I could get... and it wasn't her fault she only had a crappy gasket to sell me... next spring when I put the new exhaust on I'll definately make sure the gaskets are quality.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM

but back on topic know of any cheap goup I can use to make sure I get a sticker...

I heard furnace cement - but I want to be able to grind it off later...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 PM

whatsup man, waterloo here, not many of us around here.
there's nothing I can think of off the top of my head that will withstand that heat that isnt anerobic(cures without air). You need an aerobic sealer. The only stuff I can think of is going to be a REAL PITA to get back off.
IMO, bite the bullet, get the OEM gasket ($ are nuts for dealers up here I know), and be patient and take your time, be prepared to have to do the flex joint though, from the sound of it its gonna need it, and after winter, its gonna REALLY need it, so just git her out of the way.
Do it right, do it once, especially when its f'in cold, but it'll be worse in a month man, do it now.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Waterloo eh? no ****... I think I have seen your car before - There isn't many max's in this area (except in my work parking lot haha) so I'm suprised to find another org memeber. Mine is pretty much stock except the missing badges / red wipers / act clutch / GLE rims in the winter.

I just don't want to do it in my driveway - I'll probably just put some crap on it the day I e-test it and if it holds those few hours I'll be good - and long as a stone grinding wheel on the end of a drill can take it off, I think its a valid suggestion...