4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

valve cover gasket reccommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM

valve cover gasket reccommendations needed

I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket a few weeks ago and it's STILL
leaking. I followed the fsm and just put a small line of permatex at
the two corners (timing chain end) of the new rubber gasket as well
as tightening the cover in correct sequence with a torque wrench.
In searching the web (regarding similar molded rubber v.c. gaskets) , I've
seen everything from a.) use no sealer on the gasket b.) use some sealer
on the the corners only c.) use sealer in the entire length of the cover
groove And the entire length of the gasket underside.
1.) Have any of you successfully replaced the v.c.gasket and have some
tips on permatex placement??
2.) How long to wait after assembly (in cold weather) for the permatex to dry before starting the car and subjecting the permatex to a hot oil bath?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
No more Maximas...

Got bored a long time back, took off my front VC to both paint it and fix the small weep it had (towards the manifold). Reused the same cracked gasket, just used some clear RTV type stuff I had laying around the shop, hasn't leaked since.

Did you clean up the mating surface on the head? Personally, I'd just RTV it all around (small bead) just to make sure.

I started mine up maybe 20 minutes later (however long it took me to put the UIM on, somewhere around there) and took it for a drive. No leaks.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by 7jackmack
I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket a few weeks ago and it's STILL
leaking. I followed the fsm and just put a small line of permatex at
the two corners (timing chain end) of the new rubber gasket as well
as tightening the cover in correct sequence with a torque wrench.
In searching the web (regarding similar molded rubber v.c. gaskets) , I've
seen everything from a.) use no sealer on the gasket b.) use some sealer
on the the corners only c.) use sealer in the entire length of the cover
groove And the entire length of the gasket underside.
1.) Have any of you successfully replaced the v.c.gasket and have some
tips on permatex placement??
2.) How long to wait after assembly (in cold weather) for the permatex to dry before starting the car and subjecting the permatex to a hot oil bath?
Thanks

Same story, but I was an idiot and didnt use a torque wrench...I broke two bolts on the bottom right side of the V.C. and it was kinda leaking...slapped some RTV/gasket glue around the crack where the V.C. meets and It's been all good since then....that was like a year ago or more...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
wants an I35

quick question along the theme of this thread. i too have a "weep" of oil out of the valvecover gasket. its very slight.

at the dealership when the guy pointed it out, he said it would leak down and ruin my "rubbers". wtf is rubbers? seemed like he was BSing.
is he talking about the boots? tires? how bad is it that im leaking oil, other than my engine is losing oil? as long as i keep it at 4.25 qts, its not gonna hurt anything else is it?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM

pmohr : yes ,I did clean everything up with solvent ,basically it was just damp with oil - old gasket (which appeared to have permatex just at corners) came off easily and a
few v. c. bolts were loose.

ROCKHART : I don't know what if any damage oil would do to rubber products and
I suppose it depends on the volume also.
Dealer pointed out my v.c. leak 100k miles ago - I left it go until now because it
was a slight seep & I noticed NO measurable loss of oil between changes.
Now it has escalated to the point where it stinks from oil dripping on exhaust
and there is a loss of maybe 1/2 quart between oil changes.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by ROCKART
quick question along the theme of this thread. i too have a "weep" of oil out of the valvecover gasket. its very slight.

at the dealership when the guy pointed it out, he said it would leak down and ruin my "rubbers". wtf is rubbers? seemed like he was BSing.
is he talking about the boots? tires? how bad is it that im leaking oil, other than my engine is losing oil? as long as i keep it at 4.25 qts, its not gonna hurt anything else is it?
hahahaha you should of asked him that....ahahaha I don't see what it could really have that major of an impact on....just watch your level, you'll be alright.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 PM

Oil will actually breakdown rubber components in your car, It penetrates the rubber and weakens it. If the oil ends up constantly dripping on hoses, bushings, mounts etc. it will compromise the said part, However it would have to b a pretty big leak to reach your LCA bushings (powersteering fluid is most common)...blah, blah,blah
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
The self-oil changing max

Originally Posted by ROCKART

I have a major oil leak I am fixing, and the oil (which is dripping from the timing chain cover, has gotten on the bushings in my steering linkage and broken it down (as stated previously). The thing about oil leaks is that they don't ever stay the same and definately do not get better, so eventually you will have to fix them, so better now than when things get really bad (as they did in my situation).

As for the original post: I recently replaced my rear valve cover gasket. I used the autozone Felpro rubber gasket, and followed the instructions in the Haynes manual and applied a generous amount of sealant (blue permatex), around the corners. And yes, be sure to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and be careful not to scratch them. I would wait a minimum of 24 Hours before you think about starting the engine. Check the spark plug tube seals also, they seem to crack and dry out, and when installing them, make sure they are seated in properly.