4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Trouble - Loss of power on Acceleration

Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 99Silvermist SE
Well,

I havnt had the problem since that morning ride to work. It's hard for me to tell what it is if it only happens like 1 or 2 times a year. I always run Premium Gas in my car after the knock sensor mishap. It was weird though because when I slowly accelerated there was no problems and the car ran smooth. When I punched it thats when I would get the pdddddddd puttering feeling. The car didint really shake or anything though it just seemed to bog down but only after like 3.5 or 4 rpms. Is there a possibility that this could be a failing fuel pump? Sometimes when I go to turn the car on it take like 4-10 seconds for it to turn over sometimes.

FYI - I do have a new knock sensor in the car.
Silver this is EXACTLY what I experienced in my 2001 maxima that i just purchased. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Or how to fix it?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought the car and addressed the following codes.

P1320 power transistor ignition coil
P0302 spark plug 2
P0135 heated 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
P0720 Revolution sensor

I also changed oil, oil filter, air filter. As my mechanic finished this work we took it for a drive and it drove much much better. However, it still exhibited the acceleration problem-- decent pull when the gas pedal is 1/2 to 2/3 engaged,but hardly any acceleration WOT.

Starts up instantly, idles great, drives great around town, on fwy, whatever. It's just hard acceleration that's the issue.

CEL came on again, now it's throwing
P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help!!

Ok I have a 1999 Nissan maxima and it isn't accelerating like it should. It had a cylinder 4 misfire...changed the spark plug and coil pack. That didn't change anything. It's still randomly misfiring. But now It's not even throwing any codes. We changed the fuel filter and checked the maf system. The filter was clean and was nothing blocking air flow. The fuel pump we changed a year ago. I checked the injectors they were 10.8, 10.9 & 11.2. We had someone check for vacuum leak and nothing could be found. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mz.Perez
Ok I have a 1999 Nissan maxima and it isn't accelerating like it should. It had a cylinder 4 misfire...changed the spark plug and coil pack. That didn't change anything. It's still randomly misfiring. But now It's not even throwing any codes. We changed the fuel filter and checked the maf system. The filter was clean and was nothing blocking air flow. The fuel pump we changed a year ago. I checked the injectors they were 10.8, 10.9 & 11.2. We had someone check for vacuum leak and nothing could be found. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Try unplugging each coil pack, one at a time. If the motor stays the same that's the one you have a problem with. By that I mean unplug a coil pack and listen to see if rpm has changed, if so plug it back in, then move to the next one and repeat until you have done all 6. Remember, if you don't hear the motor rpm's change, that's your problem cylinder, be it coil pack or injector. You listed 3 injectors, the other 3 are under the intake. You can take a looong screw driver and reach the two outside ones. Put the tip of screwdriver on injector and your ear on the handle and you should hear it clicking, do that to all of them. You might be able to reach that middle one from the driver's side if you really try.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Administrator

^

Mr. Perez, don't rule out that an injector could just be bad (dumping to much fuel, not enough fuel etc) regardless of the readings you get. And hopefully you put NGK platinum or copper spark plugs in.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

G35 coupe 6speed 89k miles swapped motor new head

Originally Posted by Divewjason
Are you all using at least 91 octane gas? If your car is running rough it's a good idea to put some Lucas Fuel Treatment in your car before spending more money on trying to fix a problem.

If that doesn't help, it could be the coil packs, the sparkplugs may need to be changed, or it could be the knock sensor. When any of you gun it does your SES/CEL flash on and off? Or is it already on?
My
Ses was flashing all
The way home about 50 miles str8 then once the car went back to normal city speed it was good
Solid light but now my car is losing power I have a p0300 codes random cylinder misfire help please !!!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 99Silvermist SE
Ok I was driving to work today and went to go blow by someone so i could get off of the highway and when I put the petal to the metal the car seemed to gain no power and kinda made a funny noise like the engine was bogging down or somthing. I had this problem before like 3 or 4 months ago but it never happend again till today. It only does it when I hit about 3.5-4 rpms and above. Anyone have an idea on what this could be? I thought it was the spark plugs before and the engine was just misfiring so I had switched them out. Hopefully it goes away like it did before but I'd still like to fix it. Any advise would be greaty appreciated.
I replaced old, cracked pcv hoses and valve. Problem solved for under $10.00
Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Restore the power

I replaced old cracked pcv hoses and valve. Problem solved
Old 03-16-2020, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced old cracked pcv hoses and valve. Problem solved
Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no acceleration response - electrical issue

a month ago my car started missing HARD. like surging so hard it throws you back and forth in the seat. i had already replaced all sparkplugs and coil packs last year.my check engine light was on so i hooked my computer up and it was throwing a bank 1 O2 sensor code. i replaced that sensor and the car still missed hard. the check engine light was not on so i threw a shot in the dark and guessed the mass air flow sensor. i unplugged the pigtail wire from the mass air flow sensor and the that solved the missing problem, so i knew a new maf sensor was needed. i bought it and replaced it. (the day before the missing started i had just replaced my starter) now just 5 weeks later, the car is missing hard again just like before i changed the maf sensor. this time my check engine light is on throwing a code for the same exact O2 sensor that i replaced already, on top of a bank 2 O2 sensor. its also throwing a manufacturer ignition control/ misfire code. i drove the car yesterday (havent put anymore parts on it) and the car died twice on me while driving down the road. i crank it back up and start driving again then the car lugs down and the rpms drop and lights dim like its trying to die and i pull over as a result scared that it is about to die. it doesnt die, but instead started idling normal. then i noticed a droning humming noise as its idling. i start driving it once again, and in 3rd gear, i start to accelerate and the car didnt respond at all. just coasted and slowly decreased speed as if i were not even accelerating. i let it coast and it starts responding again. now the accelerator not responding is happening very frequently while driving. my power locks start clicking and rapidly locking and unlocking on their own. today i cold start the car and in neutral, slowly rev it up the 6000 rpms. once it reaches 6k rpms, my radio turns off by itself and my brake light and oil light come on and as soon as i let off the accelerator, the brake and oil light turn off and the radio turns back on by itself. also, while idling and driving, the rpm needle with fluctuate rapidly on its own. with all these new issues arising daily and parts that i just replaced a few weeks ago going bad, i really think there is an electrical issue with the car thats causing multiple things to short out and malfunction. anyone have these issues???
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Maybe use a cheap cig lighter volt meter to see how your alternator is charging. Probably could use a multimeter as well if you have one.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 PM

1. Use paragraphs
2. check your alternator