4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AutoZone Parts FML

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM

AutoZone Parts FML

So last night I'm driving down to South Florida and I'm on the turnpike going like 70-80 and all of a sudden my car starts vibrating something serious. I decided to switch into the slow lane planning to pull over to see what the problem was and as soon as I switched lanes I hear a loud bang and before I knew it my front driver tire was flying pass me on the turnpike.

This is like the 3rd time that these wheel studs have broken from the same wheel. Now I'm afraid to get them from AutoZone again because I can't have this happen again.

So where can I go to get some reliable wheel studs from?

I was thinking the dealership but I just wanted to know if there was another place I can go to get some good ones. A friend of mine was telling me about some Titanium ones, but I don't know where to get them from.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

****, thats some scary stuff man. Glad that you're ok. That sorta happened to my dad when he was driving my car to colorado. He had his arm out the window, he felt the car shake, pulled his arm in just in time for the rear tire to shred and fly past him and take out his driver side mirror...

Idk where to get any wheel studs but I hope you find some
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 AM

i get mine from advance and have never had a problem...have you dont the installations yourself or a self proclaimed good mechanic install them?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM

How many time has this happened? Is it always the same wheel? Same hub? Studs dont break for no reason! What are you torqueing to? How are the seats on your wheel? were the rplacement studs pressed ALL the way in, If they arent they will move and the lugnuts will loosen up while driving. Were these brand new wheels, or used. How long did you have these wheel on before you started having problems. How many threads are the lugnuts on? are they the right type of nut ei; taper seat or mag/tube?

You need to figure out why YOUR CAR is doing this and dont blame the last few sets of studs. Before you get mad at someone you really need to get an understanding of what the problem is.

Im not saying its your fault, just suggesting that its not all autozones fault.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That failure sounds more like the new studs were never retorqued correctly after a few days of operation. A very important step when replacing studs on older hubs.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
That failure sounds more like the new studs were never retorqued correctly after a few days of operation. A very important step when replacing studs on older hubs.
You could be over-torquing the lug nuts too, causing them to snap when you hit a good bump in the road.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM

I only use OEM Nissan wheel studs...they aren't that expensive... this is a part you shouldn't worry about sacrificing the extra $3 to save your life
Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i get mine from advance and have never had a problem...have you dont the installations yourself or a self proclaimed good mechanic install them?
I had two different mechanics do it and I did it myself once.

Originally Posted by asand1
How many time has this happened? Is it always the same wheel? Same hub? Studs dont break for no reason! What are you torqueing to? How are the seats on your wheel? were the rplacement studs pressed ALL the way in, If they arent they will move and the lugnuts will loosen up while driving. Were these brand new wheels, or used. How long did you have these wheel on before you started having problems. How many threads are the lugnuts on? are they the right type of nut ei; taper seat or mag/tube?

You need to figure out why YOUR CAR is doing this and dont blame the last few sets of studs. Before you get mad at someone you really need to get an understanding of what the problem is.

Im not saying its your fault, just suggesting that its not all autozones fault.
The reason I said AutoZone studs are bad is because when I was replacing them my friend had a few but I had to get the ones for that wheel from AutoZone and those others have yet to break.

This time makes time number 3 and I wasn't really revving or torquing at all. I was just cruising because we weren't in a hurry to get there.

They were pressed all the way, but the lug nuts didn't become loose the studs snaped as in broke in half. The seats on the wheels are good, I thought that was the problem and I ended up swaping that wheel with one from the back after the second time and it happended again so idk.

And as far as being the right type of studs I just went to AutoZone and told them the make and year of my car and those are the ones they gave me.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Kevlo for President

sue um
Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 AM

torque>torch..jus sayin

but i agree...its crucial to have them installed correctly. only time i end up snapping my wheel studs are when i over tighten them..and they ring off. i dont know exactly how to install mine, but it sounds like you may need to take it to someone else and allow them to do it. i seriously doubt that autozone has bad wheel studs, and to consecutively fail on that same wheel the same way. you probably had the 'let me make sure its bedded correctly so it wont happen again' train of thought and tq'd it a little too much.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Got mine from http://www.autoanything.com/wheel-tire/201A3339.aspx for $1.95 each plus free shipping. Could believe that I got them within a day of ordering too.

No Problem for me. Also remember they are different for front and rear hub... I don't know how much different but maybe autozone is giving you the wrong ones.

Note: I ordered 10 to have spare studs just in case.

Last edited by najee1062; 08-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM

First off, if 3 wheel studs broke off, why are you replacing them??? Replace the whole frikin hub with OEM....If OEM was able to last you as long, why leave your life in the hands of these aftermarket studs?? Those grooves don't hold as well once the stud breaks.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by OgerisG321
I wasn't really revving or torquing at all. I was just cruising because we weren't in a hurry to get there..
I meant the torque applied to the lugnuts when tightening.

And as far as being the right type of studs I just went to AutoZone and told them the make and year of my car and those are the ones they gave me.
Are the lugnuts the right type for the particualr wheel?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

If wheel studs are breaking like that, you more than likely or the installer over-torqued them. They should be NO MORE than 87 ft/lb and tightened in a criss cross pattern. I ALWAYS use a torque wrench for my wheels because I also had 3 studs break on me when I was young and ignorant and would just keep jumping on the 4way to make sure it was "tight"

I'm with you on the AutoZone parts, they are truly garbage crap you would put on your car to sell it. However I highly doubt the studs are to blame in this situation.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM

thi happened to me. snapped 3 ichibas. luckily i stopped before it was too late
Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
First off, if 3 wheel studs broke off, why are you replacing them??? Replace the whole frikin hub with OEM....If OEM was able to last you as long, why leave your life in the hands of these aftermarket studs?? Those grooves don't hold as well once the stud breaks.
thats a dumb idea. waste of money and labor
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM

wow, that's got to be one of the scariest feelings! i use the criss cross pattern, but i've never used a torque wrench when tightening my wheels back on. after reading this you can bet i will from now on. glad you're ok...
Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Also relevant: if you torque your lugs down too tight, you face a much higher risk of warping your rotors.

If you're installing the spare by the side of the road, fine. But when you get home, break the lugs and torque them down properly. I've also heard it said that after the first few days you should re-torque them, which I do because it takes like two minutes, but I don't know how important that is.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
Also relevant: if you torque your lugs down too tight, you face a much higher risk of warping your rotors.

I've also heard it said that after the first few days you should re-torque them, which I do because it takes like two minutes, but I don't know how important that is.
Yea I once read on a Sears Auto invoice that said to re-torque all aftermarket wheels after 25 miles of initial install but I dont know if that has to be done for OEMs that have been on the car since new

Trini, I wouldn't replace the whole hub because of three studs, unless the OP tells us for a FACT that he torqued his wheels in a criss cross pattern and to 87 FT/LBS, then I would say its not the hub thats damaged and it was more of an installer error.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

ARP

If you break those its you or your car.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
thats a dumb idea. waste of money and labor
Not if you are doing it yourself you are not...plus you will know it is getting done right instead of leaving it to s screwy mechanic these days.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM

so... whats the proper way to set the studs? in the past i just put a socket in the way and tightened the lug on until they pull all the way in is that wrong?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Not if you are doing it yourself you are not...plus you will know it is getting done right instead of leaving it to s screwy mechanic these days.
i did do it myself. and would much rather replace 3 studs than a hub. it only makes sense.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
so... whats the proper way to set the studs? in the past i just put a socket in the way and tightened the lug on until they pull all the way in is that wrong?
I use a open end lug nut some spacers about 4 or 5 and and my tire iron (lug wrench) and tighten until I can feel the lip of the stud snug with the hub. Don't over tighten!!!!!

Simple as that.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
thats correct. just torque the lugs to spec once the wheel is on
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM

I will stack washers and tighten until seated (with the rotor off so I can see). Then reassemble using proper torque and pattern. Recheck after initial drive.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM

It's not three studs that broke.....all 5 of them broke and my wheel came off the car.

This is the first time the wheel actually came off but it's the third time that they have broke.

So this time I did them again following the advice given to me here on the org. I torqued the wheels in a criss cross pattern and to 87 FT/LBS, so if they break this time then IDK what's going on.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 AM

i hope all works out for you man.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:34 AM

Ok, let's think about what you said... You were driving on the highway, your car started vibrating, you got into the slow lane and THEN your wheel fell off... I am pretty sure your lugs became loose over time and got just loose enough to make the wheel vibrate... which at 70mph will break all the lugs.

Glad you came out ok... I would look into a good torque wrench also
Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM

do you post a pic of your car everytime you post?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM

So last night I'm driving down to South Florida and I'm on the turnpike going like 70-80 and all of a sudden my car starts vibrating something serious. I decided to switch into the slow lane planning to pull over to see what the problem was and as soon as I switched lanes I hear a loud bang and before I knew it my front driver tire was flying pass me on the turnpike.

This is like the 3rd time that these wheel studs have broken from the same wheel. Now I'm afraid to get them from AutoZone again because I can't have this happen again.

So where can I go to get some reliable wheel studs from?

I was thinking the dealership but I just wanted to know if there was another place I can go to get some good ones. A friend of mine was telling me about some Titanium ones, but I don't know where to get them from.
Damn dude!!! You alright I guess, how's your Max, any damage because of your tire breaking off?? I would be looking into a law suite, seriously.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
Damn dude!!! You alright I guess, how's your Max, any damage because of your tire breaking off?? I would be looking into a law suite, seriously.
Are you serious? I hope you dont mean against AZ. At best installer error, for doing it wrong or not recognizing an underlying issue.

Its lawsuits that that are killing this country, raising premiums, making it dicey for businesses to deal with the public. My opinion OP should have had the vehicle inspected by the stealership at first shops dime after first incedent. just my $0.02. Lawsuits are not the answer unless its black and white, and guilty party is not willing to recognize, make good, and learn. Too many unfounded and outright fraudulent lawsuits out there.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM

I agree with asand1, but regardless, the OP has addressed the issue and has done everything to spec, so lets wait and see if he's still alive in 3 months to tell us its the studs have not broken on him.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM

It's not three studs that broke.....all 5 of them broke and my wheel came off the car.

This is the first time the wheel actually came off but it's the third time that they have broke.

So this time I did them again following the advice given to me here on the org. I torqued the wheels in a criss cross pattern and to 87 FT/LBS, so if they break this time then IDK what's going on.
WOW!! All 5 studs broke off and you replaced them individually?? Well lets hope that it works out for you but like I stated, I would have replaced the whole hub. I am not mad or screaming at anyone here but come on..all 5 studs people??
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM

I know a guy that took his old 1 ton chevy drift wood truck to Les Schwab. It had Dana 60 rear with 7/16" studs, and larger studs
in front, the numbskull working there torqued them down to 120lbs. 120lbs is spec for rigs with like 9/16"-5/8" studs. Needless to say he lost both rear wheels the same day. Over/under torqueing will bite you quick regardless of the condition of your hubs/wheels.