4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

spark plug stuck in the engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM

spark plug stuck in the engine

I was changing my spark plugs and encountered that i was not able to screw out the last spark plug. It is stuck like as if the previous person (not me) over tighten it and now my spark plug socket can not reach the spark plug. Its a little hard to believe me but its the honest truth. What are my options?

Note: i think the last person who changed them did it while the engine was HOT and the metal expanded and was able to tighten it more than it should have been. Now that it has cooled i am not able to even grasp the spark plug with the socket.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Jamaha80

If your theory about the last person who changed them is correct, why not try taking it out while the engine is hot? If your're careful you wont kill yourself...

I'm confused about this:
and now my spark plug socket can not reach the spark plug.
What has happend that all of a sudden your socket can't reach the plug??????
It will come out, try using a breaker bar instead of a ratchet.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Yikes, or what if the socket IS reaching the plug but it just doesn't feel like it because the threads on the plug are rounded. Yikes, what the hell do you do if that happens?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check the bottom of the coil boot that you pulled off of that plug. if the bottom isn't on the boot, then it may be still on the plug preventing you from getting the socket on the plug. compare the boot to another to see if they look the same.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Yikes, or what if the socket IS reaching the plug but it just doesn't feel like it because the threads on the plug are rounded. Yikes, what the hell do you do if that happens?
Attempt to hammer a 12pt socket on the plug, or yank the plug tube to give you better access is my best guess.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Jamaha80

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Double yikes

Hypotheticaly, youd have to see if the plug could be removed without drilling it out/tearing the engine down. Either way, the only way to determine that would be to remove the UIM/valve cover/CAMS.

Originally Posted by pmohr
Attempt to hammer a 12pt socket on the plug, or yank the plug tube to give you better access is my best guess.
Not a bad idea.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Yikes, either way doesn't sound fun. All the more reason to change plugs with the engine cool, torque them properly and use anti-seize.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Pour some PB blaster into the plug well.. Let it soak for sometime and then use a cloth wrapped around a stick to cleanup any residue. Put back coil and start engine to heat up the surface and retry removing the plug.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by nitromax
check the bottom of the coil boot that you pulled off of that plug. if the bottom isn't on the boot, then it may be still on the plug preventing you from getting the socket on the plug. compare the boot to another to see if they look the same.
Seems like the absolute most likely scenario....jeez you guys got the poor guy with a rounded plug thread lol....your gonna give the dude a stroke.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by nitromax
I just changed my spark plugs again. And the above quote was the EXACT problem.

delaman_17 fix: Get a pointy screw and tie some string around the head of the screw. Next "screw the screw" inside the bottom of the stuck boot by twisting the screw with a screwdriver. Next pull the string and the bottom of the boot will come out along with the screw. Replace the entire boot. Done and done.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM

I have a similar problem... the bottom of the boot has corroded or melted and is broken inside the cavity in which the spark plug sits, thus i cannot get a socket onto the plug due to the broken piece still melted inside there. Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by SNIFFERPIVOTS
I have a similar problem... the bottom of the boot has corroded or melted and is broken inside the cavity in which the spark plug sits, thus i cannot get a socket onto the plug due to the broken piece still melted inside there. Any suggestions?
Have you tried the suggestion above for this exact situation?

Have you tried grabbing it with pliers, a pick, anything?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you tried the suggestion above for this exact situation?

Have you tried grabbing it with pliers, a pick, anything?
^^That.

Find a pair of long, thin pliers. Grab the boot, remove the boot
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM

i did try the screw and string. i tried a pick before i looked on here and saw the screw idea. ive tried it cold, ive tried it hot hoping the piece would soften up.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 AM

Nightmare sounds like time to pop the head.......good luck OP
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If the boot is stuck, put some crazy glue on the coil stem and put it back on the plug.
Wait 5 minutes.
Pull the coil out with the boot attached.

Same principle applies if it's broken. Use some ingenuity.