4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Licensed to Spell

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics

Here is a link to the ebay aftermarket (AM) keyless entry remote I recently purchased.

There was a buy-it-now for $24 + $7 but I was the only bidder and got it for $10 + $7, for a total of $17 shipped (oh yeah, and, unfortunately for me, another $1 in sales tax since I and the seller are both in CA).

With new Original Equipment (OE) remotes going for $100 or more and used OE remotes (with worn/missing graphics) going for $35 or more, I thought I would try out this sub-$20 option. I also thought I would share my experience, in case anyone else is considering buying one (sorry if this e-bay remote has been discussed before, I searched and couldn't find anything).

Pros: Seems to be a quality-made product, it's brand new!, it comes with a (new) battery, great price, smaller and lighter than OE, it's a pretty good-looking remote, performs all of the OE operations (however, see below), the 'arm/lock' button is harder to accidentally bump while your keys are in your pocket (I don't know about you but I always do that!), there is a light indicator which lights up when a button is pressed, and for what it's worth - it comes with a chain and quick-release hook (see pictures).

Cons: Not OEM/doesn't have a Nissan logo on it (mine has "KeylessRide" on it ), even though this AM remote can perform all of the OE remote's functions - the operation is different (see below), I find myself not being able to operate the remote by feel alone - I find myself looking at the buttons before pressing them (but maybe that will change as I get used to the new design?).

Unknowns: OE vs AM battery life, graphic wear (to me, it seems the AM graphics will last longer than the OE graphics), and reliability (the AM remote does come with a 6 month warranty).

O.k., as far as button operation, here's the deal:

OE remote action vs. response:
Press the Lock/Arm button - All locks lock instantly
Press the Unlock/Disarm button once - Driver lock unlocks instantly
Press the Unlock/Disarm button twice - All locks unlock instantly
Hold the Unlock/Disarm button - the front two windows start to roll down
Hold the Trunk button - The trunk pops in approximately 2 seconds
Hold the Panic button - Alarm sounds in approximately 2 seconds

AM remote action vs. response:
Press/hold the Lock/Arm button - All locks lock after about 0.5 seconds
Press/hold the Unlock/Disarm button - Driver lock unlocks after about 0.5 seconds
Press/hold the Unlock/Disarm button (press/hold twice, or just continue to hold) - All locks unlock after the first 0.5 seconds and the rest unlock after the second 0.5 seconds
Press/hold the Trunk button - Trunk pops after about 0.5 seconds
Press/hold the Panic button - Alarm sounds after about 0.5 seconds

How do you roll down the front windows with the AM remote, you ask? You press and continue to hold down the Unlock and Panic button at the same time. It's kind of a bummer because now it pretty much becomes a two-handed operation.

Conclusion: If you want a new, decent quality, remote for a great price and it doesn't bother you that the Nissan logo is absent and that the button execution isn't identical to the OE remote, this is an awesome choice.

I think that's about it. Feel free to ask any questions (but please don't ask how to program a keyless entry remote to work with your car, how to tell if your 4th gen has the keyless entry option, and other easily searchable topics. I guess I should state though that the programming instructions for this AM remote are the same as for the OE remote).

Pics:

Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Got Retrofit?

Hm not bad. Thanks for the review but I'd stick with OEM. The whole "two handed job" to roll down the windows kills it for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Either I have big thumbs or to roll down the windows is not a two handed operation.

Also for those of you who liked the small one like I did and purchased a second remote from the same company... DO NOT BUY THIS ONE (pictured below)

Stick to the one in the OP. Unless you like having a short range remote that does no lower the windows. I'm going to be buying another small one soon because the Summer is rapidly approaching.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM

I have been curious about those remotes. I bought a used OE remote for my SE, but I was thinking about getting one of these for my mom for the GXE. She would much rather have buttons that are labelled (my SE remote is totally blank) than have a Nissan logo.

I wouldn't mind having to press two buttons to roll the windows down. It's much better than waking up in the morning after it rained to discover the button got pressed in your pocket while watching TV the night before.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 PM

i was looking at this one and also the switchblade style remotes. but i noticed u can only get the switchblade style with the 5th gen remotes. so do any of you know if a 5th gen remote can work with a 4th gen maxima? BTW here is the remote im talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4412wt_1022
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

this may sound silly but, do you have pics of it apart showing the board? i have a goofy project i'm up to and would like to see the chip design.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

you are making me drool at the thought of working keyless entry...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dtortor1
None of you have much to complain about. Not only did my car NOT come with the Remote Keyless Entry, but it didnt come with the original "Nissan" Keys...try getting a copy of a copy...its such a pain in the behind! Although, the whole thing about the am key entry is sounding intriguing....thanks so much for the info!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 AM

mine came with original remotes, keys, a box of pamphlets, and the window sticker.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Hm not bad. Thanks for the review but I'd stick with OEM. The whole "two handed job" to roll down the windows kills it for me.
Chris, now that I've had the remote for a while, I've had more time to play with it. It is possible to roll down the windows one-handed, but it isn't as natural as the OE remote. If you can get your finger (thumb) over the Disarm and Panic buttons, and push both down at the same time, you're good.

Originally Posted by aackshun
Either I have big thumbs or to roll down the windows is not a two handed operation.

Also for those of you who liked the small one like I did and purchased a second remote from the same company... DO NOT BUY THIS ONE (pictured below)

Stick to the one in the OP. Unless you like having a short range remote that does no lower the windows. I'm going to be buying another small one soon because the Summer is rapidly approaching.
aack, in your first sentence, are you saying that you have the remote I show in the pictures? Thanks for the tip of what not to buy. In your last sentence, I'm not sure what you mean by summer approaching.

Originally Posted by komik
I have been curious about those remotes. I bought a used OE remote for my SE, but I was thinking about getting one of these for my mom for the GXE. She would much rather have buttons that are labelled (my SE remote is totally blank) than have a Nissan logo.

I wouldn't mind having to press two buttons to roll the windows down. It's much better than waking up in the morning after it rained to discover the button got pressed in your pocket while watching TV the night before.
komik, yup, that's one of the main reasons I tried out this AM remote - I am tired of the missing graphics of the OE remote. lol - that's a good point, I've accidentally rolled down my windows too before (not in the rain though).

Originally Posted by youngquazy
i was looking at this one and also the switchblade style remotes. but i noticed u can only get the switchblade style with the 5th gen remotes. so do any of you know if a 5th gen remote can work with a 4th gen maxima? BTW here is the remote im talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4412wt_1022
young, I do not know of a 4th gen switchblade remote and I do not believe that the 5th gen remotes work for our cars.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
this may sound silly but, do you have pics of it apart showing the board? i have a goofy project i'm up to and would like to see the chip design.
Hey mighty. Sorry for the delay. I have been pretty busy and not even on here that much lately. I also got your PM. I do not have a picture of the remote opened up. But I'll try to do that for you in the near future.

Originally Posted by dtortor1
dtor, then do it!

Originally Posted by Hamy&Maggie
None of you have much to complain about. Not only did my car NOT come with the Remote Keyless Entry, but it didnt come with the original "Nissan" Keys...try getting a copy of a copy...its such a pain in the behind! Although, the whole thing about the am key entry is sounding intriguing....thanks so much for the info!
Hammy, you're welcome. Good luck.

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
mine came with original remotes, keys, a box of pamphlets, and the window sticker.
LOL! A little off topic, but thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM

I'll give a great review for those that care. I ordered one.

Problems with it:
1. It kept opening my trunk while I was inside. Every time I go outside my door is either unlocked and my trunk is opened. I had to razor off the buttons so that they were flushed to avoid this.

2. The door unlock switch failed. I had to open the remote and disassemble the little switch to scrape the connectors.

3. The led went out. I replaced that

4. the trunk button got stuck. I took out the batteries and put them in my coin drawer. I guess the change killed them and I have yet to fix that trunk button so it is out of commission atm.

I hate to say this but while it worked great for about a month. It is ****ty and stay away from it. If you want to waste your money I could care less.

Last edited by EsQueue; 05-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
aack, in your first sentence, are you saying that you have the remote I show in the pictures? Thanks for the tip of what not to buy. In your last sentence, I'm not sure what you mean by summer approaching.
As the Grammar police you should be able to understand poorly typed post!!!

I'll retype what I was trying to convey.

Yes, I had the FOB in the OP, but I broke it (me being an idiot), and I loved it because it lowered the windows and has an excellent range. I also did not have a problem using the two button lower window feature either, I could do it with one hand.

My current keyfob (The one pictured in my previous post) from the same company does NOT lower the windows down and has a very short range (I've gotten lucky recently and have gotten it to work about 20ft away).

I will be purchasing the keyfob in the OP again because it's summer time and I want to lower my windows to cool off my car before I get to it (something I can't do with my current "round" keyfob).

Last edited by aackshun; 05-12-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 PM

I will be purchasing the keyfob in the OP again because it's summer time and I want to lower my windows to cool off my car before I get to it (something I can't do with my current "round" keyfob).
I think that it may last you through the summer.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Licensed to Spell

As the Grammar police you should be able to understand poorly typed post!!!

I'll retype what I was trying to convey.

Yes, I had the FOB in the OP, but I broke it (me being an idiot), and I loved it because it lowered the windows and has an excellent range. I also did not have a problem using the two button lower window feature either, I could do it with one hand.

My current keyfob (The one pictured in my previous post) from the same company does NOT lower the windows down and has a very short range (I've gotten lucky recently and have gotten it to work about 20ft away).

Got ya, thanks. ;o) I totally agree with the long range. I am amazed at how long the range is. I did it across 30 parking stalls the other day. That's what? 300 feet? Since I've never had a brand new OE remote with brand new batteries, I wasn't sure if it was the remote itself or just that it was new. But the range on the ebay remote is impressive.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by mightyMax95

mightyMax, does this help?

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics-009-copy.jpg

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics-010-copy.jpg

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics-011-copy.jpg

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics-012-copy.jpg

New e-bay aftermarket keyless remote - review/pics-013-copy.jpg
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 AM

I jus got a system installed for my car. Autopage RF350. It works pretty nice.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by cashoit
I jus got a system installed for my car. Autopage RF350. It works pretty nice.
What is "a system"?