4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Still have front end clunking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Still have front end clunking...

I have been searching the forums for any symptoms similar to what my car is doing. When I accelerate lightly I get one clunk from the front end. If I push on the gas a little harder, I get another clunk. Harder, and I can get one more clunk. If I start off quickly, I can get all 3 clunks in quick order. If I let off the gas, I can usually hear all 3 clunks again. It is like a certain level of force from my engine can get 1, 2 or 3 clunks out of the front end. All from the same side. After installing my 3.5 swap, everything was OK at first. A few weeks later, the clunk quietly made it's way into my car's list of problems. I can put the car in park, open the hood and rock the car strongly back and forth and the clunk is there. On the passenger side. I thought maybe a motor mount. But, I have dual electric motor mounts f/r along with standard side mounts that all have less than 28K miles total. Besides, my motor does not bang around under the hood like typical motor mount problems. A few times, when backing down a steep hill at my buddy's driveway, if I take the car out of park and roll back a bit then fully release the brakes, I can hear the clunk. It really seems to be in the front end.

I am frustrated because at first I diagnosed it as either: bad strut bearing and/or mount and/or noisy shocks. $800 later, I have all new Tokico struts and OEM strut mounts, bearings, rebound boots, coil tubes, etc. $800 later and I still have the clunk! And to top it off, the OEM struts that were on the car were fine! So were all the parts! The car has 240K on it, so obviously the previous owner had the struts replaced before, and prob by Nissan as all the OEM stuff was in good condition.

Now that only leaves a few more possibilities: lower control arms and/or end links+bushings and/or sway bar bushings. The LCA's will set me back over $300. By the time I am done I will prob be $1200 into this noise, mostly due to my ****-poor troubleshooting skills! If I had a lift, I could take a pry bar to my LCA's and see if they have excessive play, but in my garage I can't get the prybar in at the correct angle to test the LCA's.

Can anyone relate to my experience? My searches turned up front end clunks that occurred when turning, stopping or going over bumps. Mine is basically very obvious under accel/decel at the moment of torque occurring. I am hoping someone can relate to the symptoms my car has and can back me up on it being the LCA's. I am reluctantly considering LCA's no matter what, but I need some second opinions to make me feel better!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think u already found the problem: engine/tranny mounts.

Easy fix: take firewall and radiator engine mounts out, fill with epoxy, or JB Weld. Better fix will be poly fill, but it takes a lot of preparation and labor, plus possibly messy. Best fix: PolyUrethane mount inserts from Cattman. Too bad I just sold mine.

Next time, if you're experiencing an issue, and there's no check engine light, visit here first: http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm. It'll at least give u ideas on where to start checking first.

Dr J
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM

probably the motor mounts.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Does the Maxima/I35 electronic mounts make noise when they are bad? My motor does not move much, I have fixed many cars with bad mounts, usually the motor is jumping around when the mounts are bad. My car had a fuel problem that caused the motor to shake badly at start-up. This prob only lasted a month, I have since fixed it. Even then, the car did not clunk during rough start-ups. It clunked a long time before my fuel prob, but the rough starts never brought about any clunking.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, I have no experience with the electronic mounts but they seem good. I have even made sure all the mounts are bolted down tightly.

Another point, it will clunk if I am backing down a hill and I fully release the brake. It seems if I am loading the front wheel in one direction and unload it the other way, it clunks. Also, on bigger speed bumps it will make the knock sound. But never knocks while cruising over normal bumps or turning.

I'll check the mounts more closely, I agree at first it seems to be the mounts, but for some reason I seem convinced it is the front end.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

OK, so I yanked the I35 front and rear electric mounts tonight and installed OEM MT mounts. I also replaced the sub frame bushings. AND, I even managed to get my wheel hub bearings replaced also.

BUT, the clunk is still their. With the MT mounts, being that they are stiffer I can now get the clunk to pop if I gas it hard enough. WTF?? Now that I can get it to pop, it is even more clear that it is somewhere in the front end. I'm getting tired of throwing parts at this car, anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 AM

It sounds to me like you have a noise very similar to mine. I'm going to replace my LCA's very soon and see if that's the problem.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Instead of making a new topic I decided to run with this one...

I would say i am having similar problems. trying to see if anyone ever got a solution with theirs. the last few months i've noticed my car kind of clunks. maybe it's better described as a jerking feeling, its a 5spd manual and it only occurs when i step on or let off the gas while going down the road. it almost feels as tho the front end is noticably lifting up and down (up when throttle engaged, down when disengaged). could it be bad mounts, old age, or something else? She's got 154k on her, all reg maintenance done. Clutch put in about 30k ago w/ everything done (flywheel, throwout bearing etc) and tranny flushed at the same time. It's most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gears and sometimes in 5th but not as violent. I feel there has always been some form of clunking (just no where near this extent) as u can feel the engine braking occuring when letting off throttle but its like there is no inbetween cuz of this sometimes violent feeling! I hope its nothing expensive
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by redwagon29
I would say i am having similar problems. trying to see if anyone ever got a solution with theirs. the last few months i've noticed my car kind of clunks. maybe it's better described as a jerking feeling, its a 5spd manual and it only occurs when i step on or let off the gas while going down the road. it almost feels as tho the front end is noticably lifting up and down (up when throttle engaged, down when disengaged). could it be bad mounts, old age, or something else? She's got 154k on her, all reg maintenance done. Clutch put in about 30k ago w/ everything done (flywheel, throwout bearing etc) and tranny flushed at the same time. It's most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gears and sometimes in 5th but not as violent. I feel there has always been some form of clunking (just no where near this extent) as u can feel the engine braking occuring when letting off throttle but its like there is no inbetween cuz of this sometimes violent feeling! I hope its nothing expensive
Motor Mounts Just got rid of the clunking after nearly 30 thou. miles.

They did not even look bad, I would look over them again.

Good Luck Mang.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM

i have the same issue as you but after chasing the problem for 4 months i decided to just live with it and changing the mounts didint help ata ll, i am starting to believe it might be the front spring, since my noise is coming from front passenger side as well, and i never changed the springs. good luck with ur car though
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by perkman87
Motor Mounts Just got rid of the clunking after nearly 30 thou. miles.

They did not even look bad, I would look over them again.

Good Luck Mang.
I did finally resolve my problem. It was the motor mount on the passenger side. The motor mount only had several thousand miles on it when it began making noise. It must have been damaged in the accident that the donor car had (front end hit). The mount appears perfectly fine, but if you hold the mount down and move the inner sleeve, it makes the loudest clunk, you can hardly believe it would be possible to make noise because their is no obvious visible damage.

I wasted a lot of money and time finding it! But finally, it's fixed.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by made in china
I did finally resolve my problem. It was the motor mount on the passenger side. The motor mount only had several thousand miles on it when it began making noise. It must have been damaged in the accident that the donor car had (front end hit). The mount appears perfectly fine, but if you hold the mount down and move the inner sleeve, it makes the loudest clunk, you can hardly believe it would be possible to make noise because their is no obvious visible damage.

I wasted a lot of money and time finding it! But finally, it's fixed.
Found mine doing the same thing a while back sounded like a bad front passenger strut!!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 AM

Yeah I will hopefully try to look at it this weekend. how difficult are the motor mounts to replace?? Do you need special equiptment to hold the engine in place?? And if it were to be a strut, would it most likely make the feeling when pushing down /up on the car when it is parked?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by redwagon29
Yeah I will hopefully try to look at it this weekend. how difficult are the motor mounts to replace?? Do you need special equiptment to hold the engine in place?? And if it were to be a strut, would it most likely make the feeling when pushing down /up on the car when it is parked?
They're pretty easy to do, and no special equipment is needed. An impact help immensely, though.

No need to support the engine or trans at all.

I also suggest going the poly route, I've actually got a mount right here that I just filled up. Waiting for it to cure, then going to throw it on...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 AM

I got that same noise!! It comes from the drivers side though. I'll probably just replace my set soon.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Clunking and Constant Squeaking

My 1996 Maxima GLE is having very similar issues. Upon acceleration/deceleration at all speeds, I hear and feel front end clunking noises. I can easily re-create the clunking noise by getting on the highway, accelerating to about 70mph, taking my foot off the gas, allowing the car to decelerate to 62mph to 65mph without braking, then pressing the gas to quickly get it back up to 70mph. It clunks almost every time. Additionally, I hear constant squeaking coming from the right front passenger side. I also hear squeaking if I turn the wheel to the right. What should I start with? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Take a look at your motor mounts, especially the one by the radiator, and the one by the firewall.

Some secondary things about the clunk:
-CV joint and axle
-Tie rod ends, such as sway bar

We'll deal with the squeaking later.

Dr J
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM

I would check your caliper pins and make sure they are not seized.It sounds like a brake pad isn't releasing properly.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

does it make the noise when the wheel is turned ? cv axles ?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by mmgio
I would check your caliper pins and make sure they are not seized.It sounds like a brake pad isn't releasing properly.
It's possible but I'm not using the brakes when I test this. I will get the caliper pins checked too. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Take a look at your motor mounts, especially the one by the radiator, and the one by the firewall.

Some secondary things about the clunk:
-CV joint and axle
-Tie rod ends, such as sway bar

We'll deal with the squeaking later.

Dr J
I will definitely have someone look at ALL of these items especially the motor mounts & tie rods ends/sway bar. The CV joints have been replaced at least once but the other items have never been replaced. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
does it make the noise when the wheel is turned ? cv axles ?
The clunking sound/feel does NOT occur when turning the wheel. It occurs during acceleration/deceleration.

The squeaking noise is constant when driving and it occurs when turning the wheel to the right.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM

The cause of my front end clunking/bucking above, the rear motor mount, I haven't put my car back on the ground to test it but I'm almost positive that was the cause.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

The cause of my front end clunking/bucking above, the rear motor mount, I haven't put my car back on the ground to test it but I'm almost positive that was the cause.
Yeah that's a definite cause alright.. OEM mount??
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun

LOL! That's what my rear looked like, except the rubber was completely sheered. You're gonna love the way it drives once you get that fixed. The engine will feel harsh for the duration of a tankful of gas, but it'll be nice again afterwards. Good detective work!

BTW, how did u press out the old stuff?

Dr J
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 PM

I have a clucking noise in the rear end of my 2005 Max SL when I drive over speed bumps or hit a pothole. My mechanic says it is the 2 rear lower control bars that need to be replaced. He says all other suspension parts look good - struts, shocks, etc.
Does the diagnosis seem to be on the correct path?
The noise doesn't happen all the time. If you bounce the rear of the car yourself it doesn't make any noises. He looked in my trunk, but I'm going to do a better job with a friend to see if anything is loose.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by FantaLady23
I have a clucking noise in the rear end of my 2005 Max SL when I drive over speed bumps or hit a pothole. My mechanic says it is the 2 rear lower control bars that need to be replaced. He says all other suspension parts look good - struts, shocks, etc.
Does the diagnosis seem to be on the correct path?
The noise doesn't happen all the time. If you bounce the rear of the car yourself it doesn't make any noises. He looked in my trunk, but I'm going to do a better job with a friend to see if anything is loose.
Post in the 6th gen section and you might get some help.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Post in the 6th gen section and you might get some help.
Thanks, beegeezy! Will do.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM

......So anyone with a description how to fix the engine mount clunkity sounds? Am having the same problem, and was about to install new shocks and struts @ 240K miles - 05 Maxi.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Les7311
......So anyone with a description how to fix the engine mount clunkity sounds? Am having the same problem, and was about to install new shocks and struts @ 240K miles - 05 Maxi.
This is the 1995 - 1999 section. Might have better luck finding 2005 information in a different one