Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
P0505, Idle control malf.

Ok, I know I've been having some major problems with my car, like the d*** knock sensor. The knock sensor is screwed, infact, while trying to unbolt it, it broke. I ordered a new knock sensor, so it'll be here soon, and I'll get a shop to take the hole thing apart, to put the new knock sensor on. The thread isnt about the knock sensor, its about a code that I got (I didnt just get it, because its been a problem, the last time I got the car fixed, they told me my best bet would be to get a brand new MAF). I got a new scanner recently (sorry to theperson that sold me it, I forgot your name), so I've been trying to work out the codes.


I got a Idle control malfunction code (P0505), and I would like to know from the people that have had the most exp. with Maxima's (1995 to be exact). What would be my best bet, a new MAF or what? I'm going to change my O2 sensor when I get some extra money, I dont know if that could be a problem or not. I recently cleaned my MAF, it looked just like a new one would, the screen is clean, everything, theres just a couple scratches. I didnt put it in water, I cleaned it with a rag. It took a very long time, but I did it.

So, if you can help me, that would be great. Also if it happens to be my MAF, can you please tell me a place to get it the cheapest (I
'd rather get a new one).
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
Searched for what? I didnt want to tear into my car, when its bad as is. From what I think, and what the shop told me, I still think its the MAF. I dont know what to look into, tell me what to look for.

With all the sensors that I have in my car (and most likely, the previous owner prolly did not change) it might just crack or break once I try to remove it. Just tell me what to look at, or what to look for.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
I researched it, and it said its Idle control system malfunction.

The reason why I think its the MAF, because the shop said it might be the MAF, because as I stated before, I dont think the previous owners replaced much, like sensors or such.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
oem ftw!

 
CRiME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
iTrader: (21)
Posts: 1,365
Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Activity: 2.3%
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
I researched it, and it said its Idle control system malfunction.

The reason why I think its the MAF, because the shop said it might be the MAF, because as I stated before, I dont think the previous owners replaced much, like sensors or such.
So if the shop told you that you needed a new headgasket to fix your p0505 code, would you say OK and pay hundreds for the repair?

You have to do your own research. You have a massive amount of information available on this site, easily accessible through the search. Just search for P0505 or, even, IACV.

This should get you started, it has pictures of the IACV location, what it looks like, how to clean it, etc:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ning-iacv.html

Just about any question that you may have about the car can be answered through the search. That is, of course, Unless you like blindly throwing money at your car in an attempt to fix problems. Then by all means, replace the MAF because Joe the Mechanic said so.
__________________
Worst question ever asked on maxima.org:

Originally Posted by Stewlicious:
I've got an 04 with the 5 speed w/od. I swear the gear indicator would go up to 6 but can't be certain. Had the dealership do a flush and fill, now it only goes to 5th. Mpg has gone down as well. Should it go up to 6?
CRiME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
No. I dont have time to read all your posts, I'm cleaning my IACV right now. Just went on the computer to tell everybody.

I underrstand what everybody is saying(even though I didnt read anything, the only thing a read was the first sentance CRiME posted).
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
If you (pmohr) would stop being a fuc***' ****, then I could get to what I can say!!! Damn, do you even have any friends acting like that!

I cleaned the IACV, it was fairly dirty, but yet, I still got the code. Its P0505. Thank you Crime, for giving me that link, even though I already seen it, and was cleaning the IACV. I cleaned all the connections to the MAF and the IACV, so I'm pretty sure thats not a problem anymore(the connections that is).

pmohr, if you dont wanna be nice, stay outta my thread. I dont wanna argue like kid (you might be a kid, I dont care). I'm clearly acting like an adult, and you keep making these stupid *** posts. Grow up.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
The reason why I didnt read ALL the f posts, because I was working on taking off the IACV at the time, and it was fixing to rain, unfortunitly I did not park my car on the side of my house, because it looked like a good day.

Dude or dudet, just stop, dont even bother repling. I did read all your posts, thankyou for the help that you did give me(I dont recal seeing anyway that you could have helped). I did happen to search, as I do before posting.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
The Dirty Pearl

 
pmohr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clinton, TN
iTrader: (26)
Posts: 14,313
Points: 22,907, Level: 93
Points: 22,907, Level: 93 Points: 22,907, Level: 93 Points: 22,907, Level: 93
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
Dude or dudet, just stop, dont even bother repling.
Fine by me, newbie. Have fun replacing parts at random...
__________________
A32 CEL Decoder | FSMs | Howto Videos

Last edited by pmohr; 01-04-2009 at 07:24 PM..
pmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
I'm not a newbie. Name calling, sign of a child. Seriously, just stop replying, because your not going help. I will have to say thanks for the FSM link in your signature, thats the only reason why I would say thank you.

Again, if you dont actually wanna help, and if you still wanna be a child, then dont reply.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

 
Join Date: Jun 2001
iTrader: (19)
Posts: 15,821
Points: 36,005, Level: 100
Points: 36,005, Level: 100 Points: 36,005, Level: 100 Points: 36,005, Level: 100
Activity: 30.7%
Activity: 30.7% Activity: 30.7% Activity: 30.7%
Send a message via AIM to njmaxseltd
Absolutely unbeleaveable..... Sometimes they just don't get it do they.
njmaxseltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
?? What are you talking about? Please explain?

I posted this thread for one reason, to fix my car. Right now, I'm getting stupid posts in the thread for trying to fix my car. I'm sorry if I dont know that much about my car as you other people do, I'm just now getting into my car, like replacing major parts and stuff. I cant afford and dont wanna take it to a repair shop and not know what they did, and how they fixed the problem. I gotta start somewhere, I'm sure most of you people that know alot about Maxima's started out the same way.

I've been researching, calling people and emailing people for more information about parts and prices, so give me and all the other peopel a break.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
oem ftw!

 
CRiME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
iTrader: (21)
Posts: 1,365
Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Activity: 2.3%
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
?? What are you talking about? Please explain?

I posted this thread for one reason, to fix my car. Right now, I'm getting stupid posts in the thread for trying to fix my car. I'm sorry if I dont know that much about my car as you other people do, I'm just now getting into my car, like replacing major parts and stuff. I cant afford and dont wanna take it to a repair shop and not know what they did, and how they fixed the problem. I gotta start somewhere, I'm sure most of you people that know alot about Maxima's started out the same way.

I've been researching, calling people and emailing people for more information about parts and prices, so give me and all the other peopel a break.
Well, before he deleted the posts, all he was pointing out to you was that you needed to test the IACV using the instructions in the FSM. He only brought up the other posts where people solved their problems because you seemed ready to go out and buy a new MAF at $150+, when you would have been stuck with the same problem and 150 fewer dollars in your pocket.

He was just trying to point you in the right direction, I didn't see any hostility in his posts, at all. The only one making hostile posts was you man. We're all just trying to help you solve your problem. If the cleaning didn't work, try testing it with the instructions in the FSM. Also check the continuity of the wiring harnesses. I don't have the page handy but it should all be in there, and testing it should only require a multimeter.

Worst comes to worst, people sell IACV's on this site all the time, I think goldtooth was selling one for $25 shipped at one point. You shouldn't have a problem finding one. There is really no need to buy that part brand new, you'll just end up spending more money.
__________________
Worst question ever asked on maxima.org:

Originally Posted by Stewlicious:
I've got an 04 with the 5 speed w/od. I swear the gear indicator would go up to 6 but can't be certain. Had the dealership do a flush and fill, now it only goes to 5th. Mpg has gone down as well. Should it go up to 6?
CRiME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida, USA
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 460
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289
I wasnt going to buy a new MAF, until I figured out what the problem is. Thank you CRiME for clearing the problem up, but there was hostility in his posts, I wasnt just take it, when I asked a very simple question. I wasnt trying to start something, I'm just trying to get help figuring out a problem, isnt that the reason why this site started?

I just got done doing a brake job on both my Maxima, and (what I consider) the Chrysler Cirrus (you can find the car in a FS thread). My back hurts, my hands have cuts/gashes, and I'm tired as hell.

I went to FSM, but I dont know what to go to, theres just abr. that I dont understand right now.
__________________
My youtube channel
My cardomain page
1995 Nissan Maxima, stock- Sold
1986 Monte Carlo SS- Daily driver, toy
snowboi1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
oem ftw!

 
CRiME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
iTrader: (21)
Posts: 1,365
Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61 Points: 8,198, Level: 61
Activity: 2.3%
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

In the FSM, open the EC page and go down to EC-126, that's the page that outlines the testing procedure.
__________________
Worst question ever asked on maxima.org:

Originally Posted by Stewlicious:
I've got an 04 with the 5 speed w/od. I swear the gear indicator would go up to 6 but can't be certain. Had the dealership do a flush and fill, now it only goes to 5th. Mpg has gone down as well. Should it go up to 6?
CRiME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
iTrader: (1)
Posts: 105
fyi it's page EC 305 in the version of the manual that I have.
__________________
This is a great resource. You should register NOW!
AceTKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup