4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Maxima Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem, well had on my 4th gen 95. I changed the starter cause i thought it was the problem, still wouldnt start, checked ignition switch, worked fine. I then checked all the fuses, and i changed the inhibitor relay (luckily i changed my entire electrical system so i had a spare), I cleaned my terminals and tightened them on my brand new battery cause my old one was shot after only two months, and it started up like new. I even tried it a couple times. So before you go beating around in the hood just try cleaning up everything, have a beer and then go back to it and see what happens
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM

I had this same problem, found out it was my neutral safety switch. hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Let's keep this tread alive! I'm having the same prob with my 95. I've replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. I checked all fuses and relays as well. I'm stumped, cause it still will not turn over. All the lights illuminate when on the on position but when I try to crank it it does nothing. Please guys help me out with this. It's my daughters car and she's starting to bug me about borrowing mine.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by i495 bandit
Let's keep this tread alive! I'm having the same prob with my 95. I've replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. I checked all fuses and relays as well. I'm stumped, cause it still will not turn over. All the lights illuminate when on the on position but when I try to crank it it does nothing. Please guys help me out with this. It's my daughters car and she's starting to bug me about borrowing mine.
Have you tried putting a screwdriver in the ignition switch? See my post #40.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 AM

I have a similar problem. My car cranks 4-6 seconds before starting. This only happens when my car is cold, when its warmed up it starts right up.

I didn't think much of it at first, but one day I tried to start my car and it wouldn't even crank, I made sure that it was in Park and I saw that all the lights would turn on. It took me 7 tries until it finally started to crank and started. This has already happened twice, and I'm worried that the problem will only continue to get worse.

I have also went to Autozone to check my starting and charging systems and my battery, starter, and alternator are all good. I also scanned for trouble codes to see if it was my CKPS, I got more than a handful of codes but no CKPS code.

Does anybody know what could be causing this?
- Thanks in advanced
Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ramonroad
Hey y'all, I've looked at the old threads to try and find an answer, but haven't found one. I have a 95 Maxima that won't start. I turn the key and it just clicks, but won't turn over. I checked the 7.5a fuse, but still no start. The battery is new.

Leading up to this, it would groan before starting, but then start up. I installed two 10 guage wires from the negative battery posts. One to the starter and the other wire to the transmission bolt. It worked great for a while, but now is just not turning over. When it was starting, the starter sounded good.

Any ideas why this 95 will just click, but not turn over?

Thanks for all of your input. Y'all are great!!!!

i would have to agree with everyone else, its got to be the starter. but i would recommend buying a new one not a used one or else youll more than likely be having the same problem with in a years time
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new but I thought I would share this important "malfunction" I discovered a while back that's critical for starting your 1995 Nissan Maxima...

On the positive battery cable you will notice a red plastic connector with two quick connects. These two 10 GA cables run to the bottom of the engine fuse box next to the battery. Disconnect the connectors and view inside the red connector body...It will be covered with corrosion...If this connector is cleaned, the car will start up just fine. I know this is the source of many starting problems for 95 Maxima Automatics...it is a horrendous place to put a critical connection in such close proximity to corrosive battery gases. Here is a link that shows exactly the problem I discovered...http://www.samscars.com/mage9.html

Read the part about the voltage drop when "Sam" tested the two links, separately.

Look at Fig. 11...This is exactly the same corrosion I witness a few years ago.

My fix? Wrapped a knitting needle with steel wool, clean out the contact, completely...Car started right up.

Please check this out before replacing starters and batteries, three or four times...Good luck, fellas!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Inhibitor switch is either bad or misaligned. Just fixed mine after replacing the starter and ignition switch. Trial and error until I figured out which one it was.

I know I'm posting to an old thread but figured I'd share.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM

Had the same starting issue on my 99. It started off as needing a new battery. Once I replaced it, it still wouldn't start right away so I cleaned the corrosion off the connectors. Then one day I got stuck outside of a taco spot in a not so great part of my town so I replaced the starter & there's been no issues recently.