4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

V-Power cured my engine, but threw a code...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM

V-Power cured my engine, but threw a code...

First off, let me say that it feels GREAT to finishing testing this week with work in between!!!

As the title states I have been using V-Power gas from Shell the last few times I filled up and it greatly increased my gas mileage!! From 310 to 425 miles on a single tank. To me that is simply amazing. I only switched because it was running me 2.05 / gallon as opposed to 2.15 at Mobil and Sunoco. This gas also made my car run much much smoother throughout the rpms. I had a pretty decent jerk from 1600 - 2250rpm in any gear with all other gases I used and now it's completely gone!! So I've decided with better gas mileage and smoother performance I will start using this gas regardless of price as in the end it will only benefit my wallet and cars performance.

On a sides note my car was a bit quicker than my friends Eclipse GT by putting 1/2 car length by end of 3rd gear as oppose to being beat by a nose.

When I was going to work last night, my SES (service engine soon) light came on and the first thing I thought was "great, now what?". I tried to figure out what the code might be for during my 1hr drive to work. Only thing that came to mind was an 02 sensor and something to do with iacv cause my rpms where unsteady during idle (mostly 550 rpm on idle, but when the ses light came on it was 1,100 and then 850 rpm like it should). Yet my car drove smooth and powerful. I knew it couldn't be my KS because I changed it about 6k miles ago couple months back. I tested it and it pulled like it should putting me back into the seat. So when I got to work I was hoping to pull the code, but didn't have time. When I left my shift early I quickly pulled out my tool set and got the code 0302 (NOT the p0302 code!!). I wondered for a second what it could be, but nothing came to mind. Checked the forums here (sticky A32 CEL Decoy FTMFW!!!!) and it checks out as EGR Valve. Greeeaaatttt.... I have limited time and space so I hope it isn't too difficult to do.

Anyone has any ideas on how abouts to approach this? I really don't have the time to take it out and clean it. I was debating on sending it a shop that does work for me when I don't have the time, but right now money is tight since I will be taking this car to Florida on vacation in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks anyone in advance for the help.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by petro2342
As the title states I have been using V-Power gas from Shell the last few times I filled up and it greatly increased my gas mileage!! From 310 to 425 miles on a single tank.

This gas also made my car run much much smoother throughout the rpms. I had a pretty decent jerk from 1600 - 2250rpm in any gear with all other gases I used and now it's completely gone!! So I've decided with better gas mileage and smoother performance I will start using this gas regardless of price as in the end it will only benefit my wallet and cars performance.
You have got to be kidding, right? If ANY gas could document a 30% improvement in MPG, they would own the market. Not to mention making your car quicker and curing "jerking" problems.

Look for other answers to your car's increased performance, it ain't the gas...

Last edited by trooplewis; 02-26-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
You have got to be kidding, right? If ANY gas could document a 30% improvement in MPG, they would own the market. Not to mention making your car quicker and curing "jerking" problems.

Nope I'm serious. I drive 500 - 650 miles a week so I think I know how my car reacts to things. I've had my car since last year October and used ALL types of gas EXCEPT v-power and none of them gave me over 325 no matter how hard I tried. This isn't something I thought up in my mind. Believe me or not, I'm just stating my experience.

I feel like my car is finally coming around since I've bought it. I've had random problems I had to fix and now it's like the car is thanking me.

Last edited by petro2342; 02-26-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Wow 425! I get about half that.... but as for your issue... I agree with the poster above it might be your modifications, and not the gas. Although I agree with you on the boost in gas mileage increase from V-Power! But my gains are like only 25 miles more on a tank with V-Power

OR MAYBE it could be the gas + your modifications, and somehow the gas and your mods aren't meant to be used together. But I am just tossing ideas out. Hope it helps!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM

I have filled with Vpower for 2 years now, and last week my girl bought my gas and it was from BP. I cant blame the BP alone, because I am not totally sure, but I noticed a significant drop in MPG. I havent put it past 4K rpm and I am only going to get maybe 280 miles to the tank (~18mpg). With Vpower I usually average about 20-22(I do all city driving).

Btw, where in FL are you coming to?

Last edited by MOHFpro90; 02-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Wow 425! I get about half that.... but as for your issue... I agree with the poster above it might be your modifications, and not the gas. Although I agree with you on the boost in gas mileage increase from V-Power! But my gains are like only 25 miles more on a tank with V-Power

OR MAYBE it could be the gas + your modifications, and somehow the gas and your mods aren't meant to be used together. But I am just tossing ideas out. Hope it helps!
Yea I envied those on here with 30+ mpg. Finally my engine runs noticeably smoother. It may not be the gas, but it has definitely increased my mpg. Just last week I went down to CT and put over 300 miles of going 90+mph (all highway). I ended up filling up at 380 miles, which is nice for the speed I was going.

My only modification is a wia I've had since I bought the car and Tokico HP245 kit lol. I haven't done anything else to it, performance wise.

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
I have filled with Vpower for 2 years now, and last week my girl bought my gas and it was from BP. I cant blame the BP alone, because I am not totally sure, but I noticed a significant drop in MPG. I havent put it past 4K rpm and I am only going to get maybe 280 miles to the tank (~18mpg). With Vpower I usually average about 20-22(I do all city driving).

Btw, where in FL are you coming to?
Yea I always roll whenever possible down here in Western Mass with all these hills. I'm sure I could probably top at 450 - 475 miles to the tank in CT as they have much more better roads and less hills. I have done many tests going at certain speeds and shifting at certain rpms.

The way I get around 425 miles to the tank is shift before 2500 rpm and drive no more than 70mph on the highway.

I'll be down in Daytona Beach for spring break.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM

im not trying to come in here and start

but i mean honestly... a 30% gain in gas mileage? no offense to you or Shell, but theres No Way.

i always loved how people always gloat about how many miles to the gallon their getting.. especially after the 4$ a gallon gas hike..

but have you guys ever taken into consideration that mabey.. jsut mabey when your actually paying closer attention to your driving... mabey changing one or two small driving habits.. paying closer attention to your RPM's and your Fuel gauge.. your gas mileage reguardless of the octane your using mysteriously increases dramatically?

ive used 87. for forever.

and ive had ranges of 16 to the gallon, to 26 to the gallon. those are No BS numbers too. IMOP its all in your head. when your putting a higher octane gas in your tank your actually thinking about the gas your going to use a bit more closely.. your taking your time to do those things so you can get that extra mile to the gallon.. its like, if you dont worry about the gas your putting in. your much more likely to run around gunning it at every stop light, where as when you actually WANT to see gains, you see them. cause your going to look SOOO CLOSELY and FIND ways to make that happen.

Your going to See What You Want To See. Its Psychology, Its In Your Head.

If you disagree i respect that, but i will say this is my own oppinon, and were driving arond in 10+ year old Luxuary cars. your not gonna get as many MPG as someone driving a lil 4banger Honda.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

V POWER improved your gas mileage that much? lol.. i get 325 on a full tank with BP Ultimate with "invigorate".. 93 gas octane in BP is same as any other gas station's IMO anyway i hope you resolved your problem about your CEL..
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 AM

It can't be the gas.

I've personally verified every known fact about gas consumption.

1. In town with stoplights and never going past 50 mpg - 18-22 mpg
2. Highway trip at a steady 75 mph - 28-30 mpg
3. Very fast driving (120mpg. I can do it legally - I live in Germany) - 20mpg
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by petro2342
I'll be down in Daytona Beach for spring break.
Shoot me a pm, maybe we can hook up if you want.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
im not trying to come in here and start

but i mean honestly... a 30% gain in gas mileage? no offense to you or Shell, but theres No Way.

i always loved how people always gloat about how many miles to the gallon their getting.. especially after the 4$ a gallon gas hike..

but have you guys ever taken into consideration that mabey.. jsut mabey when your actually paying closer attention to your driving... mabey changing one or two small driving habits.. paying closer attention to your RPM's and your Fuel gauge.. your gas mileage reguardless of the octane your using mysteriously increases dramatically?

ive used 87. for forever.

and ive had ranges of 16 to the gallon, to 26 to the gallon. those are No BS numbers too. IMOP its all in your head. when your putting a higher octane gas in your tank your actually thinking about the gas your going to use a bit more closely.. your taking your time to do those things so you can get that extra mile to the gallon.. its like, if you dont worry about the gas your putting in. your much more likely to run around gunning it at every stop light, where as when you actually WANT to see gains, you see them. cause your going to look SOOO CLOSELY and FIND ways to make that happen.

Your going to See What You Want To See. Its Psychology, Its In Your Head.

If you disagree i respect that, but i will say this is my own oppinon, and were driving arond in 10+ year old Luxuary cars. your not gonna get as many MPG as someone driving a lil 4banger Honda.
I don't expect everyone on here to believe me. Like I said it may be that the car finally came around. When I bought the car there barely was any oil in it and the insides of the valve cover looked pretty nasty. Much nicer now. I've always had this hard vibration at idle and now it seems like it is completely eliminated. Plus I've always used 93 octane fuel since day 1 when I bought the car. So it's not like I just put in v-power as opposed to 87 or 89 and magically my mpg increased. I know it may be hard to believe, but that's just the luck I had with this gas. From now on it'll be ALL v-power.

I respect everyone on here with opinions. If we all had the same opinions we would all have unresolved problems with our cars.

Originally Posted by pock3t
V POWER improved your gas mileage that much? lol.. i get 325 on a full tank with BP Ultimate with "invigorate".. 93 gas octane in BP is same as any other gas station's IMO anyway i hope you resolved your problem about your CEL..
I was getting the same as you!! I thought it was that bad, but now when I'm getting around 400 miles to the tank it seems amazing! I strongly hope you and everyone on here tries the gas and comes back with results. Just to see.

I've tried ALL types of gas here in CT and MA. When I was paying $1.55 for 93 at stop & stop I noticed I was burning more fuel with that type of gas. Switched to Hess and it wasn't any better. Mobil got me around 340 and Sunoco was about the same. Finally tried v-power and somehow I got around 400. So yea I don't think it's my driving. I do everything constantly with about 70% highway and 30% city.

But like I said, when I bought my car it wasn't in tip top shape and now finally it's repaying me with better mpg.

As for the SES I'ma try and erase it. I'll see what happens, but I will fix the EGR before I head down to FL in the next 2 weeks so I don't have to worry about it.

Originally Posted by gold96
It can't be the gas.

I've personally verified every known fact about gas consumption.

1. In town with stoplights and never going past 50 mpg - 18-22 mpg
2. Highway trip at a steady 75 mph - 28-30 mpg
3. Very fast driving (120mpg. I can do it legally - I live in Germany) - 20mpg
You should know all cars perform differently. Some of the members on here are claming to get over 30mpg which is around 500 miles to the tank.

I will be traveling to Orlando for Universal Studios and maybe head down to Miami. I went to Daytona last year for a week and I went to Orlando and Nasa in Tutsville (?).

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Jealous?

Last edited by petro2342; 02-27-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM

i get about 300 miles to the tank, but i use 87 as this is my daily driver, I do not see you jumping that much in mpgs, maybe your o2 was reading ****ty or something wasnt running right
Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM

you can put magnets on your fuel line, avgas in your tank, nitrogen in your tires, CAI, Y-pipe, etc. etc. etc.

None of those things, or all of them together, will get you +30%mpg. iF you can prove your "feelings", Shell wants you and will pay you millions.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Idk about those numbers but I agree that V-Power is FTW. Its the only gas Ive used for several years now. I even have the 5% off shell card which usually knocks the higher price down to a 'normal' 87 octane price. w00t.

Btw I watch my gas consumption closely (I calculate my mpg at every fill up) and during the summer I got 27ish mpg and in the winter now I get about 22-24.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Car drives much better now and that's what makes me happy.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
Btw I watch my gas consumption closely (I calculate my mpg at every fill up) and during the summer I got 27ish mpg and in the winter now I get about 22-24.
Same here. Winter time I don't get more than 280/tank. Summer/warm months I get over 310/tank. And that's with spirited driving.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

Well it HAS been warmer lately than usual so if weather has to do with anything then it just might be a coincidence.

And my gas mpg isn't even that high. Its around 26 with highway and city. For the record I get better mileage in the city than highway unless I go no more than 65mph.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Same here. Winter time I don't get more than 280/tank. Summer/warm months I get over 310/tank. And that's with spirited driving.
ya Im about 380 summer, 330 winter. About half country, half city, spirited driving once in a while.

I used to have a 95 5mt and I regularly got 410-420 in the summer. My 96 doesnt get as good.

Last edited by black_maxed95; 02-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM

V-Power FTMFW!! Ive been working in the gasoline business for about 5 years.Thats all Ive been using for the past few years. Plus getting gas at different stations does affect you mpg. There are two types of gasoline distributors to buy from, Corporate(shell,sunoco,mobil) and your Independent(Hess,Cumberland Farms, Joe Smo gas station) ect... You can call or look online to see the distinct price difference between the two types whenever the market is open.

I am not bashing either form of gas, but usually independent gas is a "riskier" gas to sell because it comes from....whoever! It could be contaminated with diesel fuel,water, or another kind of additive. While the corporates are usually on a contract with the supplier. Which in turn usually gas stations who carry independent fuel are usually cheaper for a reason!

You will ALWAYS see me at a Shell, and if i cant make it there. Sunoco, its the fuel of nascar... its gotta be good!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM

See it's not just me!! lmfao.

But Sunoco had issues with their gas last year by having water in them at the race tracks. Remember??
Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
you drive around in the boonies though
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM

So should I use V-power gasoline? I want the 100mpg increase but I'm afraid I might trigger the CEL and my mom would yell at me. Please help!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:47 PM

I can get about 400 to a tank on about 96 octane, when i'm not on it
Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 PM

I don't see that kind of an increase being such a stretch...... for this model maxima. Mainly b/c there could be alot of other factors we aren't taking into account.
1) The knock sensor retards timing and makes alot less hp when you use the wrong octane. (right?) And... if the OP has gotten used to that kind of lag in power he is most likely overcompensating by pushing the pedal down further.
2) Maybe it cleaned out the egr tubes and gas is actually recirculating again.
3) Or maybe it cleaned of the carbon build up and produced a better spark.
4) Maybe that particular gas station has a really good filtration system for 93.
5) Maybe someone added air to his tires.
6) Maybe he took that dead body out of his trunk

There are a lot of accounts of increased gas mileage and more hp when switching to premium in these 4th gens. I remember when i switched to premium in this maxima. It ran much smoother and went from just breaking 350 to wellover 415. (automatic)

I've had more issues w/this car than i've ever heard anyone have before. (but that's my personal opinion).
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM

I got pretty annoyed with the light so I erased it today. In the process I got another code, but wasn't able to pull it because I thought it was the 0302 one. I know it was different because when I turned off the car the last second I saw more long and short flashes. Anyways CEL is off now so we'll see how things go. I will try and get some readings though.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Wow how do you guys get such high MPGs while I get much lower MGPs and we have the same car haha.

I usually travel along 35-55 MPH roads with moderate hills here and there and I burn about 10 minutes of idle fuel from starting my car and leaving it to warm up while I get ready for school every day. So I think the 10+ minutes would probably be an answer to why my MGP is lower but it shouldn't be THAT low right? And I get 250+ miles per tank

Oh and hope you find the solution to your problem!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 PM

motor

i cant make a thread so i would just use this one for one simple but newbish question. i bout a 95 maxima se dark green prety clean plan on doing some work on it. got it for a deal i could never refuse with 135 on it but anyway i was wonder what motor these things come with. i dont have the car so i cant check the engine just yet but i dont feel like waiting. somewere i read that it had a vq and my friend and i had a argument sayin it had a vg30de so im confused and we got a little wager going on. nothing big but still. im familiar with the vg30e in my s12 and its pretty peppy but that dohc is the sh#t. sorry for the newb question and for hijacking your thread but i would like 2 know before i pick it up on friday thanks for any input.... buy the way if any one wants a pretty clean s12 hatch se vg let me know ill sell it for 650 firm perfect running condition just need brakes and rotors located in new york

Last edited by 95maxedoutse; 02-27-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95maxedoutse
i cant make a thread so i would just use this one for one simple but newbish question. i bout a 95 maxima se dark green prety clean plan on doing some work on it. got it for a deal i could never refuse with 135 on it but anyway i was wonder what motor these things come with. i dont have the car so i cant check the engine just yet but i dont feel like waiting. somewere i read that it had a vq and my friend and i had a argument sayin it had a vg30de so im confused and we got a little wager going on. nothing big but still. im familiar with the vg30e in my s12 and its pretty peppy but that dohc is the sh#t. sorry for the newb question and for hijacking your thread but i would like 2 know before i pick it up on friday thanks for any input.... buy the way if any one wants a pretty clean s12 hatch se vg let me know ill sell it for 650 firm perfect running condition just need brakes and rotors located in new york
have you noticed the first thread on top of the page???
it's a vq30
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM

i am knew to this forum am i am amazed at how costructive your arguments are. no flameing and well thought posts. i look forward to being a member here. i had a 06 expedition but with the economy the way it is i had to get rid of it. so you understand that i think this car is great on gas. lol. i allways wonderd about shells stuff i have a buddi who swears by it.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ironwork
i am knew to this forum am i am amazed at how costructive your arguments are. no flameing and well thought posts.
lol, this is going in the sig

(you havent been here long enough obviously )
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 AM

Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Wow how do you guys get such high MPGs while I get much lower MGPs and we have the same car haha.

I usually travel along 35-55 MPH roads with moderate hills here and there and I burn about 10 minutes of idle fuel from starting my car and leaving it to warm up while I get ready for school every day. So I think the 10+ minutes would probably be an answer to why my MGP is lower but it shouldn't be THAT low right? And I get 250+ miles per tank

Oh and hope you find the solution to your problem!!
A while back ago I was getting very poor mpg rate such as yourself. You should know that all cars are different because of how the previous owner took care of it. And plus how you drive the car.

You may have a problem with your car. Check your spark plugs, oil, tires, and other stuff. Like I said before and I will keep on saying it, when I bought my car it was in very poor condition. Car was only getting 250 - 280 mpg as well until just recently. I have been using synthetic and I believe it has cleaned out a lot of the sludge it had (peeked through the oil cap hole). Check your KS. Sometimes it may be too tight or loose and get bad readings causing poor mpg.

Thanks man.

Originally Posted by 95maxedoutse
Yes you do have a vq30de not a vg30de.

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
have you noticed the first thread on top of the page???
it's a vq30

Originally Posted by ironwork
i am knew to this forum am i am amazed at how costructive your arguments are. no flameing and well thought posts. i look forward to being a member here. i had a 06 expedition but with the economy the way it is i had to get rid of it. so you understand that i think this car is great on gas. lol. i allways wonderd about shells stuff i have a buddi who swears by it.
Yupp. We are not barbarians here lol. However, there are some people here that are still kinda too snobby, but don't let them get to you.

Welcome!!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM

how new is the station you fill up at? reason is, my mechanic (only guy besides myself i would trust with my car) suggests that you find the newer stations to fill up at cause their tanks likely haven't been in the ground as long, meaning there is not as much gunk built up at the bottom. cleaner gas = better mileage.

btw, on long road trips i get up to 460-480 miles after ~15 gallons if i keep a constant 73ish (2500 RPMs, i'm an auto)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Ah petro2342, thankyou. I just checked my tires and found out they were half the recommended PSI! AH!

As for oil I have been using whatever the guys over at grease monkey used, I opted out of using synthetic because it was an additional $10 dollars on top of the $35 already, but now I'll start doing it myself and using synthetic

And I checked the spark plugs too, but I can't tell whether they are good or bad, I am still learning about cars and from my amateur experience I think its still good but not too sure

And what does KS stand for? sorry still trying to get all the acronyms down
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 AM

KS: Knock sensor.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
how new is the station you fill up at? reason is, my mechanic (only guy besides myself i would trust with my car) suggests that you find the newer stations to fill up at cause their tanks likely haven't been in the ground as long, meaning there is not as much gunk built up at the bottom. cleaner gas = better mileage.

btw, on long road trips i get up to 460-480 miles after ~15 gallons if i keep a constant 73ish (2500 RPMs, i'm an auto)
I drive 2500 rpm max. So thats probably why I too get good mpg. As far as the gas stations I'm not sure how long they been here, but they look like they been here a LONG tmie.

Ah petro2342, thankyou. I just checked my tires and found out they were half the recommended PSI! AH!

As for oil I have been using whatever the guys over at grease monkey used, I opted out of using synthetic because it was an additional $10 dollars on top of the $35 already, but now I'll start doing it myself and using synthetic

And I checked the spark plugs too, but I can't tell whether they are good or bad, I am still learning about cars and from my amateur experience I think its still good but not too sure

And what does KS stand for? sorry still trying to get all the acronyms down
No problem. Your tire will increase your mpg greatly. What kinda spark plugs did you get? Make sure they are gapped right.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis

V Power made this improvement with my 97! This is no joke. I lose several MPG using ANY other gas.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 PM

I had to get BP last time and lost about 100 miles on my tank. At 3/4 tank I had only driven 50+ miles.. I thought my gas tank was leaking. What is up with that??? Shell is the best hands down.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
I had to get BP last time and lost about 100 miles on my tank. At 3/4 tank I had only driven 50+ miles.. I thought my gas tank was leaking. What is up with that??? Shell is the best hands down.
i always fill up my tank with BP with 93octance and it gives me 340 with a LITTLE BIT under quarter tank.. i know this b/c i always reset my trip A.. maybe its your driving? i only gun it when im late for class or work.. lol..

Quick Reply: V-Power cured my engine, but threw a code...