4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed my VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor). Problem solved (malfunctioning odo/speedo, CEL)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

Changed my VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor). Problem solved (malfunctioning odo/speedo, CEL)

For about 8 months now, I have been having problems with my VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). My speedometer and odometer would intermittently stop working while driving. It would trigger my CEL (Check Engine Light). The CEL code was 0104, VSS and sometimes 0504, Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU (http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html).

About 6 months ago, I bought a new (used) VSS from fanaticrock, the "4th gen parts guy" for a good price. (I think he changed his name to Maxima_Joe?).

Well, after procrastinating for 6 months, I finally installed it the other night. It took no more than 90 minutes so I am upset at myself for waiting so long. It's really a 10-15 minute job. Most of my time spent was 1.) Finding the location of the stinkin' thing and 2.) Actually pulling it out of the transmission!

The Chilton's and FSM (Factory Service Manual) show no pictures. The Haynes shows a picture too zoomed in to know exactly where it is. And, the instructions in the Haynes say to raise the vehicle. So I spent way too much time under the car looking for it. Turns out, it's on top of the transmission (located near the fire wall). The extent of the Chilton's is "unplug, unscrew, pull out". No pictures, no explanation of its location.
Instructions at autozone.com, basically the same as the Chiltons.
The FSM was worthless. But, I did finally find the VSS location. Sorry, I do not have any pictures, but I could take some if anyone really needs them.

Once I found it, aside from having to reach in deep into a fairly cramped space, it was a breeze to unplug the harness and unscrew the one retaining bolt (you can access it from standing on the driver side of the engine).

Where I spent another frickin' half hour was trying to actually pull it out of the transmission. It is tight! And the sharp shape of the top of the VSS hurts your hands. I had to double up on gloves. I eventually got it. The new one was also tough to put in the tight hole but I eventually got it in.

So far, problem solved! No bad odo/speedo nor CEL. I have driven the car a dozen times and for ~200 miles. I think the problem would have already occurred if it was going to.

I just thought I'd share in case anyone else is having similar symptoms/needs to change their VSS. I tried to use key words to aid future searchers. I hope this helps.

- Josh

P.S. Sorry for all text, no pictures.

Edit. Pictures:

Alright, you guys are a tough crowd. Hopefully the pictures will help justify the 5 stars? ;P

VSS out of the transmission:

The wiring harness. You may not need to change this, I did just because Fanaticrock sent me one with my VSS:

Zoomed out pic. General area of where you'll stand and reach in when changing the VSS (excuse my filthy engine bay, this is my '96 which is my beater car):

This is where the VSS is located - on top of the transmission:

Last edited by ptatohed; 03-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM

OK so if my speedo and odometer start messing up and I get a VSS code my VSS could be faulty. Makes sense. The tips on how to do the install should be helpful. Don't really think this post rates five stars though. Maybe if there were pictures :-)

Last edited by Nopike; 02-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Nopike
OK so if my speedo and odometer start messing up and I get a VSS code my VSS could be faulty. Makes sense. The tips on how to do the install should be helpful. Don't really think this post rates five stars though :-)
Basically. And IIRC the FSM does have a fairly decent pic of the VSS location, not to mention all of the 'VSS location' posts on here complete with pics, many of them written by me.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Maybe the five stars are for the grammar and punctuation
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM

yeah 5 min job if you have an intake. broke mine doing the clutchthe car messed with the odometer and made the idle drop too, coming to a stop in gear and pushing the clutch. light didnt come on, just chanded it and everything was good.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM

I will create a how-to on where it is and how to install it tomorrow. The owner before me had some random guy put a LSD transmission in and the guy lost the harness from the wireharness to the sensor, so I had to rewire the connector and buy a new sensor for the harness, so id fixed that and i figured it should just install the sensor its self. I will also make a write-up on how to install upper strut bearings and front wheel bearings.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks for the info.

I've changed the VSS twice already. After a couple of months, my CEL comes back ON. I'll go to the dealership to get the part and have my mechanic change it out again. My inspection is coming up in a month or two and i want this issue resolve. I'm not sure if it would cause my inspection to fail. I'll ask my mechanic again

I also notice when i reset my trip meter, it would not start recording the mileage. I would have to press it a couple of times to make it work. Very werid....

If anyone has any suggestion, let me know.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Licensed to Spell

Added pictures to post #1.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Nice little write-up/how to Taterboy.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Max96GLE I believe in your case, you have a faulty cluster. I'm having the same problem as you. Replaced my vss twice, and was left with same frustrating results. Change out your cluster, and you'll be good to go.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by mrmagicpapi
Max96GLE I believe in your case, you have a faulty cluster. I'm having the same problem as you. Replaced my vss twice, and was left with same frustrating results. Change out your cluster, and you'll be good to go.
mrm, so which CEL codes does a bad cluster give you? Do you still get the VSS code? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Yes, a bad cluster will set a VSS code. I got that code a week after I bought my 97. Replaced the VSS, reset the computer, and still had the code. Next I pulled the cluster and tightened the screws on the back of the cluster, and reset the computer, again, no luck. Found a brand new speedo on E-Bay and installed it, and that cured the code.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrmagicpapi
Thanks for the info. I always thought it might have something to do with it.

mrmagicpapi, i have to change out the whole odometer unit? How much would it cost me? I do have some experence in changing out the dashboard cluster, so i'm good with the labor. Is there anything else i should watch out for?

once the cluster is change, i'll reset the CEL and my mileage will be off. Which is ok. thanks

Michael
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by pmohr
Basically. And IIRC the FSM does have a fairly decent pic of the VSS location, not to mention all of the 'VSS location' posts on here complete with pics, many of them written by me.
I checked the index of the FSM for 'Vehicle Speed Sensor' and all it did was refer to the Electrical Section. No diagram of where it is physically located in the engine bay, that I could find.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
nycnissans

Nice info, I have a cluster for sale if you guys above need one.

That sensor is in there very snug.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM

There are a number of old threads on this. If your speedo stops working intermittently, and you're getting the VSS, the procedure is:

1. Replace the VSS (since it's cheap and easy).

2. Tighten the screws on the back of the cluster.

3. Replace the cluster. You could probably just replace the speedo, but clusters are a lot more prevalent. You just have to try to find one with similar mileage, unless you want to deal with that issue when you sell.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM

My VSS seems to work perfectly normal, but I got a check engine light for it. Plugging in my laptop to the car tells me the VSS fluctates between 0 and 2 mph while the car is stopped. That must be what is triggering the fault.

Other than that though, I don't have any "speedometer wiggle" or anything else so I guess I will be having some orange themed dash illumination from the corner.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Got a 0407 code after putting summer tires on?

Its the crankshaft position sensor.

I saw another thread about the 0407 code:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...nsor-code.html

But he had the belt snap and nothing like that happened in my case. This is what I did before it coded.

I think that we may have rotated the axle (front) a little bit but less than like 5-10 degrees at most. Don't see how this could damage the car but I thought I would ask before I go driving all around town.

Tyler
Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by oddball86
Its the crankshaft position sensor.

I saw another thread about the 0407 code:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...nsor-code.html

But he had the belt snap and nothing like that happened in my case. This is what I did before it coded.

I think that we may have rotated the axle (front) a little bit but less than like 5-10 degrees at most. Don't see how this could damage the car but I thought I would ask before I go driving all around town.

Tyler
What does this have to do with this thread?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 AM

mine is doin the same thing glad u shared.. i have one lying aroung somewhere...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Yo all...I am not new to the forums, but lost my old password so cant create a thread. I am on my third maxima, after recently buying a 97 se after i lost my job and company car. (pharm rep, free 2008 mercury mariner. I cant tell you how happy i am to be back in a maxima.)

car - 97se 4/at

I am having this same problem, and have searched extensively. I wanted to clear something up before I get a new VSS.

Am i correct to assume that the cruise control will not operate if i have a failed VSS? Because I took a long road trip a few weeks ago from Philly to the shore, and cruise control worked fine, and still does.

Codes I pulled were for the VSS and 0504 for the ATC.

I am just trying to do my due diligence by working the process of elimination for this problem, but this is an area that Ive got no clue in.

Sometimes when starting, the speedo works immediately and continues the entire drive.

Other times, it will not engage until reaching higher speed.

Similar to OP, the speedo will catch if i reach about 45+mph.

I would be out buying a VSS right now, but if my cruise control works, then my vss is fine? Or is that faulty logic. Thanks in advance.

Edit: i also have the occassional 16 blinks of the o/d light at startup. i tried to do the A/t diagnostic, but it is unclear in certain parts.

am i supposed to drive around for 5 minutes and makes sure it hits all the gears? or am i supposed to sit with o/d off and the car in drive? i performed the test 3 times and the blinking sequence i am supposed to see did not happen.

the car does not ever shift hard. even at wot from 1 to 2, it is very quick, but not "hard".

are these problems related?

Last edited by illgiveyathetick; 07-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM

My car had the same symptoms. The VSS code and the TCM-PCM communications code have always been set together. Here's the list of things I did: 1) Swapped the original cluster for a used cluster, 2) Replaced the VSS, 3) Replaced the flexible circuit board on the back of the cluster with a new one.

The used cluster speedometer worked much better than my original, but apparently the used circuit board was bad. After those three steps the speedo worked flawlessly for about 8 months. A couple days ago I noticed the speedo read 0 until I got to about 10 mph, then started working. A little later the MIL turned on and the two codes were set.

The only thing I haven't done is replace the speedometer head itself with a brand new one. I checked continuity between the VSS and the cluster, and from the cluster to the PCM.

If I had it to do over, I would order a brand new speedo head and circuit board from courtesyparts.com. That would've saved me a lot of time and some money.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by illgiveyathetick
Yo all...I am not new to the forums, but lost my old password so cant create a thread. I am on my third maxima, after recently buying a 97 se after i lost my job and company car. (pharm rep, free 2008 mercury mariner. I cant tell you how happy i am to be back in a maxima.)

car - 97se 4/at

I am having this same problem, and have searched extensively. I wanted to clear something up before I get a new VSS.

Am i correct to assume that the cruise control will not operate if i have a failed VSS? Because I took a long road trip a few weeks ago from Philly to the shore, and cruise control worked fine, and still does.

Codes I pulled were for the VSS and 0504 for the ATC.

I am just trying to do my due diligence by working the process of elimination for this problem, but this is an area that Ive got no clue in.

Sometimes when starting, the speedo works immediately and continues the entire drive.

Other times, it will not engage until reaching higher speed.

Similar to OP, the speedo will catch if i reach about 45+mph.

I would be out buying a VSS right now, but if my cruise control works, then my vss is fine? Or is that faulty logic. Thanks in advance.

Edit: i also have the occassional 16 blinks of the o/d light at startup. i tried to do the A/t diagnostic, but it is unclear in certain parts.

am i supposed to drive around for 5 minutes and makes sure it hits all the gears? or am i supposed to sit with o/d off and the car in drive? i performed the test 3 times and the blinking sequence i am supposed to see did not happen.

the car does not ever shift hard. even at wot from 1 to 2, it is very quick, but not "hard".

are these problems related?
The cruise control will work as long as your speedometer is working. If you are driving with the cruise on and all of a sudden your speedo stops working, so will your CC. If the speedo starts working again, you can reset the CC.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM

exactly

Originally Posted by ptatohed
The cruise control will work as long as your speedometer is working. If you are driving with the cruise on and all of a sudden your speedo stops working, so will your CC. If the speedo starts working again, you can reset the CC.
i was just about to post again, to say that the speedo stopped working yesterday, and cruise control wouldnt function.

can someone shed some light on why the speedo starts to function under harder driving? logic would say that it is a mechanical issue as opposed to an electronics issue if a certain type of driving will fix the problem.

i will buy a new vss, but my brain still wants to know the root of the issue.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would a bad VSS cause tachometer not to work or would that just be a wiring issue?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I'll throw in my 2c here based on the research I've done so far. Background: I have a P0500 code that I haven't fixed yet. I pulled the VSS out last week and ran the test specified in the FSM (Check voltage with a multimeter while you spin the VSS by hand.... a .5 volt reading indicates that the sensor works fine). I've never noticed my speedometer not working, but my cruise control goes in and out.
For Maximas, the VSS goes to the speedo, which goes to the ECM. So I see these possible failure points:
1)Bad VSS
2)Bad wiring between VSS and speedo
3)Bad speedo
4)Bad wiring between speedo and ECM

The two symptoms you can use to narrow down the problem are speedo problems and cruise control problems.

If you have Speedo AND CC problems, the failure could be 1, 2 or 3.
If you ONLY have CC problems, the failure could be 3 or 4.

Any of the 4 failure points would result in a P0500 code. Apparently most other cars are VSS -> ECM -> Speedo, which IMO is much better.

If you have speedometer problems, I'd recommend pulling the VSS and doing the quick voltage test I mentioned at the top.

From all the posts I've read, I've never seen anyone have a problem with (2). Several folks have resolved the code by replacing the instrument cluster. I've also read that the wiring harness near the right strut tower is subject to failure over time. That would be (4). When I get a chance, I'd like to check continuity between the speedo and the ECM... not sure how difficult that will be though. Best case, it will be loose connection at the speedometer. The fact that my cruise control goes in and out seems to indicate that it is only a loose connection (or worse, loose breakage.. like bad headphone wires). I'll repost if I find anything else out.

Just found a fantastic link from an EGR thread -- it's the TSB in full that would apply to failure (4) listed above.
http://www.lyberty.com/car/Maxima_A3...NTB98-008b.pdf

Last edited by fattony; 07-23-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM

ok, im on courtesy nissan webpage. Unless i am trippin, the speedometer sensor cost 25 bucks new. REplace VSS and reset ECU. Its attached by one bolt. I dont think a writeup is necessary, jus reseach
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Just a heads up, been going through the same problems myself (just bought the VSS) and I did see this while trying to find out where this part is located. (Props to ptatohed!) Here's the link. http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1e/bl035e.htm
Seems there is a TSB about it from the reply given. So if you're still having problems after replacing this and that... Wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0500 repair

I had a p0500, no cruise, but perfect speedo and odo. Problem is cracked solders on the speedo's threaded contacts. Speedo receives vss signal, buffers and passes on to ecu. The contacts are the treaded nuts for the speedo mount in the cluster.

Remove speedo from cluster and examine PCB. When looking closely the solder joint is cracked. Top drivers side is the output circuit. Resolder all four contacts, mine were all bad. Odo terminals were stating to fail as well.

I will pots picts if needed.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM

My speedo was intermittent a year ago. Sometimes I can get it to work by pressing down on the button that resets the trip counter. I couldn't find anything wrong so I resoldered all 8 contacts on the PCB. And it has been working great for a year now. I didn't see any cracks in the solder but figure it couldn't hurt.

You have 4 screws that conduct electrical signals from the instrument panel to the speedo. On the speedo PCB, there are another 4 screws that conduct signals to an electric motor that moves the needle. I removed all 8 screws and remelted the solder on the 8 contacts with a soldering iron.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Ok I have a similar problem; my speedo is showing 15 over. When I turn off the car, my speedo slowly drops to zero, but if I turn the key at all, even to accessory then the speedo goes back to 15. I'm not throwing any codes or anything, but I would like it to be accurate. Any help would be amazing. I'm going to test the VSS anyway just to rule it out.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silverdart
I had a p0500, no cruise, but perfect speedo and odo. Problem is cracked solders on the speedo's threaded contacts. Speedo receives vss signal, buffers and passes on to ecu. The contacts are the treaded nuts for the speedo mount in the cluster.

Remove speedo from cluster and examine PCB. When looking closely the solder joint is cracked. Top drivers side is the output circuit. Resolder all four contacts, mine were all bad. Odo terminals were stating to fail as well.

I will pots picts if needed.
Can you post the pics you were talking about? Problem with my cluster is that it works in winter when temperature is low. I loosen/tighten all the screws on PCB on back of the cluster but did not make any difference. I don't see soldering on back except where there is no screws.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM

What is the part number from Nissan for the VSS? Everyone is saying that it is cheap, but I ordered what I believe is the VSS and I paid $100 today with a discount since the list price is almost $150.00.

The part # I ordered is : 31935-80X02 "Sensor assembly-Rev". The parts guys I use are usually top notch, but I hope I ordered the correct part?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cybercop45
Can you post the pics you were talking about? Problem with my cluster is that it works in winter when temperature is low. I loosen/tighten all the screws on PCB on back of the cluster but did not make any difference. I don't see soldering on back except where there is no screws.
Remove the actual speedometer from the gauge cluster. Then you'll see the four points to resolder.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 PM

THANKS GUYS, i just solved my problem (everything worked except cruise control and CEL P0500) by resoldering 8 spots on the back of the speedo

heres a pic for anyone reading this in the future

theres 8 spots, 2 by each hole for the mounting screws, i saw the cracks inthe solder by using a magnify glass

Name:  IMAG0314.jpg
Views: 4775
Size:  65.3 KB
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM

I have a 2000 Maxima. I got a p0720 and chnaged the VSS. Now, about every 3 weeks I get the same code. It has gone into limp mode 3 times with the speedo showing 23mph.

My GLE has 16" wheels. A while back I looked up O'Reeily's page and they had the orange VSS, but they also had a green one for 16" wheels.

Could that be my problem?

TIA
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 AM

They have different VSS for the different sizes wheels? I did not know that.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1996 Nissan Maxima P0500 speed sensor malfunction

Hello I recently purchased a 96' Nissan Maxima. The car runs great and all, but I notice that the check engine light came on. I took it to a certified smog check station to get a diagnostic on the vehicle. The scanner read a code P0500 (speed sensor malfunction). I read some forums and it talks about speedometer not working or gauges etc.. Everything works just fine. My questions are 1.)Where is the speed sensor located on my vehicle for specific code? 2.) What place is best to have better access to remove the sensor myself? 3.) Does my dash board light have anything to do with triggering this error code? 4.) How do I know if the sensor is input or output ? The reason for me asking is because I saw a You tube video that explain something about it. I also saw forums that has pictures of a sensor different from the one I purchased in Autozone.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clever2lefty
Hello I recently purchased a 96' Nissan Maxima. The car runs great and all, but I notice that the check engine light came on. I took it to a certified smog check station to get a diagnostic on the vehicle. The scanner read a code P0500 (speed sensor malfunction). I read some forums and it talks about speedometer not working or gauges etc.. Everything works just fine. My questions are 1.)Where is the speed sensor located on my vehicle for specific code? 2.) What place is best to have better access to remove the sensor myself? 3.) Does my dash board light have anything to do with triggering this error code? 4.) How do I know if the sensor is input or output ? The reason for me asking is because I saw a You tube video that explain something about it. I also saw forums that has pictures of a sensor different from the one I purchased in Autozone.
You're going to get some grief for reviving a 4 year old thread, but never mind that. You really should get rid of the color font though.

The VSS sits on top of the tranny. It's easy to get to by standing next to the engine compartment on the driver side. I think you can get to it without removing the air intake box and snorkel, but that's a 60 second job once you've done it a couple of times, and you should learn that sooner than later. The VSS is held on by just one bolt.

A P0500 code will trigger the check engine light, but you should pull the codes to make sure there aren't any others. If you don't know how, read the stickies, or buy a $17 scanner from amazon.

Are you sure the VSS is the problem? Often it's a bad connection on the back of the instrument cluster, and if it's not that you might need to replace the entire cluster, probably with a used one. Before you do that, make sure all the screws on the back of the cluster are tight, and make sure each screw is touching the conducting ring it sits on.

I replaced my original cluster a while back, and the replacement just started going on me, so I pulled the speedo out of my original cluster, sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner around it, and put it in the replacement cluster. It's been working fine for a couple of weeks. It may not last, but you might try that before you shell out close to $100 for another cluster.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM

this post is to add positive reply to the repository of knowledge here on Maxima .org about VSS and TCM issues..

I had the same problem where my Cruise Control went out and I was having a P0104 and 0504, VSS and TCM Trouble code. I went to the local Autozone, had the code scaned and they recommended to replace the VSS as many members here have done. However, after replacing the VSS 3 minutes down the road the 0104 and 0405 returned.

Looking at this post and the other posts about VSS I decided to re-solder the points on the instrument panel but soon realized I didn't have soldering tools.

So, instead I cleaned the printed circuit board contacts, screws, and washers around the speedo and I clean the contacts on the printed circuit board around the main connectors. Installed it and my cruise control returned the VSS and TCM trouble codes went away!

So, before you buy a VSS, re-solder the Speedo, or do any deep work to solve the issue just clean off the contacts around the screws and around the printed circuit board connectors first. Then go from there

Quick Reply: Changed my VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor). Problem solved (malfunctioning odo/speedo, CEL)