4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Cruise control

Hi I had a problem with speed sensor i got the light and code says speed sensor mulfunctioning. also speedomer, fuel indicator, remp and RPM is acting crazy after drover for an hour and it come back normal after rest of couple of hour but cruise control didn't work so I replaced the speed sensor that took care of speedometer and all meters which was acting crazy. My cruise control was working for 2 days now when i start cruise control button it start flashing green light but when i try to setup it dont work.
is anybody have idea what could be wrong with this.
any help will be appritiate.
Thank you

Last edited by ash0621; 05-27-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ash0621
Hi I had a problem with speed sensor i got the light and code says speed sensor mulfunctioning. also speedomer, fuel indicator, remp and RPM is acting crazy after drover for an hour and it come back normal after rest of couple of hour but cruise control didn't work so I replaced the speed sensor that took care of speedometer and all meters which was acting crazy. My cruise control was working for 2 days now when i start cruise control button it start flashing green light but when i try to setup it dont work.
Thank you
Have you checked the connections at the back of the cluster? If all of those gauges are going crazy, either you're extremely unlucky, or the connections at/wiring to/gauge cluster itself is bad.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Thank you
I just went through this with my car. Like you I was getting code for speed sensor, so I replaced it. No problems for about a week. Set my cruise, and received the flashing green light. I dealt with it for about six months where the cruise would work on and off when it felt like it. In the mean time I would still get the code for speed sensor even though all my gauges were working fine. After doing some searching here on the Org. I discovered that a lot of people were having the same problem. I believe you are at the point (just like pmohr stated) where you need to pull your cluster, and tighten the four little screws on the back of the speedo. (I actually took the screws out one at a time, and sanded where the screws made contact with the printed circuit board. I wanted to make sure I was making very good contact with the board!) Since I have done this I have not had a check engine light, and my cruise has worked perfect! ( I am still keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that I do not have to change out the speedo head.)
Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same problem with my speedo, cruise light blinking and being erratic in operation.i have done the same thing sanding those screws and it worked fine for about a week, but now it is worse than ever. I think it is the cluster now, i have ran the whole wiring harness and there is nothing wrong.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM

If your o/d light is flashing before starting, do the tranny code check(its on here), could be your speedo itself, or something else. I did what you guys did worked for a week or two but would come back and more often. I kept getting a code fod speed sensor, changed it, worked for about a week and then it did it again, switched speedo's, been fine for about 3 months(no flashing o/d light, and cruise works)
Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 PM

opps the speedometer and all other meter are doing waggle it stuck on 100 and some time 0 when press dash bord it come back normal but it all hapens after 1-2 hour driving and next working fine for 1-2 hrs. i already change the speed sensor but it worked good for 2 days. where is all the connectors i should check where is speedo and still cruise control is not working. it has same issue when i press button on dash light stated blinking and desn't set cruise. need help on this
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
No more Maximas...

opps the speedometer and all other meter are doing waggle it stuck on 100 and some time 0 when press dash bord it come back normal but it all hapens after 1-2 hour driving and next working fine for 1-2 hrs. i already change the speed sensor but it worked good for 2 days. where is all the connectors i should check where is speedo and still cruise control is not working. it has same issue when i press button on dash light stated blinking and desn't set cruise. need help on this

Pull out the cluster, check the connections. Exactly where do you have to press on the 'dash bord' for the gauges to start working normally again?