4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cranks all day but wont start =(

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM

d**n bro...im stumped. U sd u got fuel and fuel pumps usually work. Still no CEL??

If no CEL then it has to be a component that doesnt send a signal to the ECU. Im not gonna say the ECU.

If the car is cranking then i have to believe that the starter works man. U try jumping it?

I have hrd ppl cleanin the CKPS REF and the car still wouldnt run. Then they replace and it works fine. I was gonna test how well cleaning it actually works. I recently replaced my CKPS cuz my engine was turnin over slow. with the new one, it fired up good. Ima clean the old one and try it again jus to see if it still works. Not today tho...freakin blizzard outside.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by cashoit
Hmmm keep checking electrical lines man...u might have gotten fuel in the plugs from all the no starts.

Yo man...the starter may jus be gone. Do a bench test of the starter
mine passed the home brew bench test we did. Failed in car test though
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Only I got was a 0402..but ya I def have fuel.

I pulled all of the plugs last night cleaned them,
Let them dry and sit overnight.

I just reinstalled all of the plugs and coils and tried firing her up again.
No luck, But the plugs were soaked in gasoline so..Fuel delivery is fine.

Guess next stop is replacing the crank sensor and do the extra ground "mod".
It's kind of just a guessing game from here on out..

Might be a ecu as well......we'll see.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by slow_yota
Only I got was a 0402..but ya I def have fuel.

I pulled all of the plugs last night cleaned them,
Let them dry and sit overnight.

I just reinstalled all of the plugs and coils and tried firing her up again.
No luck, But the plugs were soaked in gasoline so..Fuel delivery is fine.

Guess next stop is replacing the crank sensor and do the extra ground "mod".
It's kind of just a guessing game from here on out..

Might be a ecu as well......we'll see.
Hey man, before you purchase a new crank sensor, test out the grounding "mod". I literally just did it on mine and it started RIGHT up, no hesitation at all. It worked for me, and just might work for you, plus its a bunch cheaper than buying a crank sensor.

BTW, I added a ground from the battery to a trans bolt close to the crank sensor, and then one from the battery to the trans mount, also, I used some nice 4 gauge grounding wire.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by SrgScott
Hey man, before you purchase a new crank sensor, test out the grounding "mod". I literally just did it on mine and it started RIGHT up, no hesitation at all. It worked for me, and just might work for you, plus its a bunch cheaper than buying a crank sensor.

BTW, I added a ground from the battery to a trans bolt close to the crank sensor, and then one from the battery to the trans mount, also, I used some nice 4 gauge grounding wire.
Wow, Thats cool man.I'm not understanding how you would add a ground near the CPS since its under the crank pulley and no where near the trans though.Don't suppose you took some pics did you ?

Last edited by slow_yota; 01-19-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Hey Slow_yota here is a cheap tip to check if your pump is working , not sure if it will work on the max but it has work for me on other cars .. buy starting fluid and spray it after the maf and crank it it starts for 3 sec than you know is the fuel pump for sure , if it doesn't than it could be a combo oh the things the guys here have said ! have you try the crank sensor at the crank on front and the one between the motor and tranny ?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Abimax95
Hey Slow_yota here is a cheap tip to check if your pump is working , not sure if it will work on the max but it has work for me on other cars .. buy starting fluid and spray it after the maf and crank it it starts for 3 sec than you know is the fuel pump for sure , if it doesn't than it could be a combo oh the things the guys here have said ! have you try the crank sensor at the crank on front and the one between the motor and tranny ?
I was under the impression that we only had one crank sensor and that was the one under the crank pulley..Where is the other one ?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM

slow_yota,
you said you can smell fuel on the plugs? that means all your cam and crank angle sensors are fuctioning... yours may be MAF related. it should run with it disconected, try disconnecting it. I've heard of no starts with a bad maf, and the test is to just disconnect.

Im having the same issue with my sentra. I am running the same vq30 timing equipment like slow_yota.
so far I am able to hear the fuel pump prime(aftermarket) but still won't fire up. I still have not connected the ypipe, and can't smell any fuel coming out of the header. I dought its a fuel related issue. cam sensor was 1458 ohms.
MAF is disconnected..
once I figure out my issue, maybe it will help you...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM

the other is between the bellhousing and the block, under/near the starter
Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SER02
slow_yota,
you said you can smell fuel on the plugs? that means all your cam and crank angle sensors are fuctioning... yours may be MAF related. it should run with it disconected, try disconnecting it. I've heard of no starts with a bad maf, and the test is to just disconnect.

Im having the same issue with my sentra. I am running the same vq30 timing equipment like slow_yota.
so far I am able to hear the fuel pump prime(aftermarket) but still won't fire up. I still have not connected the ypipe, and can't smell any fuel coming out of the header. I dought its a fuel related issue. cam sensor was 1458 ohms.
MAF is disconnected..
once I figure out my issue, maybe it will help you...
Well maybe I'll try this after I fix my coil issue..
I effed myself about 10 minutes ago..I yanked too hard on two of the coils and they broke in half...Anyone want to donate a rear and front coil ? =/
Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM

I was under the impression that we only had one crank sensor and that was the one under the crank pulley..Where is the other one ?
if you look at your front motor mount (radiador) about 6 inches there is the back crank sensor , is kinda between the engine and tranny
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM

I had teh same problem on my 97 Max--Ended up being the coils!!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by fastcarny
I had teh same problem on my 97 Max--Ended up being the coils!!
But how likely that all six took a crap all at the same time ?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Got an aftermarket starter on there ? It could be that or your crank sensor or sensors.
Im not sure if theres 1 or 2.

Keep checking the codes, what codes are you getting now ?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 PM

I am having the same issue, cranks but would not start(I have a 3.5 swap). The car was running all weekend and this morning just would not start. I do not have any codes and I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and still nothing.

I did not check cam or crank sensors as I did not see a code. I will check tomorrow these sensors as I have a few of them.

I am completely lost on this one. I will post tomorrow after I change these sensors.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Got an aftermarket starter on there ? It could be that or your crank sensor or sensors.
Im not sure if theres 1 or 2.

Keep checking the codes, what codes are you getting now ?
Four blinks, 0ne blink, two blinks... 0402 I think.
Didn't see a 0412

Starting is not the problem..the starter is turning the engine over..Its just not firing up..And according to other members its not a crank or cam sensor or I wouldt be getting fuel.

Hopefully [after I get the ebay coils] This can be fixed with the grounding "mod" or with another maf.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Wow, Thats cool man.I'm not understanding how you would add a ground near the CPS since its under the crank pulley and no where near the trans though.Don't suppose you took some pics did you ?

There are two(2) CPS sensors on our maximas, REF & POS.

I actually did take some pics. I'll post them up in the morning for you
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

[quote=SrgScott;7383567]There are two(2) CPS sensors on our maximas, REF & POS.
Slow Yota,
The one you already mentioned is under the crank pulley. The other is where the upper oil pan meets the tranny on the side closest to the headlights. It is actually between the pan and tranny.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM

I changed the cam, both crank sensors, the fuel pump and filter and the car still would not start.

I am getting spark but it does not appear to be constant. Not sure if this is how is should be when you are turning the key.

I am so lost right now and annoyed, car starts 1 day and the other nothing
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 AM

Jeez...that sucks.
Have you done the grounding "mod".
I did it to my 96 yesterday and it seemed run and start better.
Lights on the interior and exterior seemed brighter as well.
So if anything, You get that as a complimentary reward.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Jeez...that sucks.
Have you done the grounding "mod".
I did it to my 96 yesterday and it seemed run and start better.
Lights on the interior and exterior seemed brighter as well.
So if anything, You get that as a complimentary reward.

Where do u place grounding wires?? I wanna do this but am unsure. Do u jus ground anywhere u on the tranny. I was gonna use 10 guage wire

There are two CKPS. One on the front of the engine hear cranshtaft pulley and another on the rear of the engine near the interface of the engine and transmission housing.

IF those still dont work...then mu friend u have a ECU issue
Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 AM

[quote=dan1el;7383597]
There are two(2) CPS sensors on our maximas, REF & POS.
Slow Yota,
The one you already mentioned is under the crank pulley. The other is where the upper oil pan meets the tranny on the side closest to the headlights. It is actually between the pan and tranny.
CPS = camshaft position sensor

CKPS = crankshaft position sensor
Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 AM

Did u ground to the CKPS bolt or another bolt around that area? Pics brotha pics lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Ok, Im sorry it took so long! Here are the pictures of my grounds. Its a little difficult to get a great shot down there, but i think this will give you the basic idea

Ground on a trans bolt close to the crank sensor:

This is the ground I put on the Trans mount:

And this the ground terminal on the battery, may not be useful but here it is:

I hope that can help everybody out!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM

u da MAN SCott!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
u da MAN Scott!!!!
Haha, anytime
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Ok, folks have been saying my keys maybe have lost its programming as my car is a 99 with a chip in the key. I do not see how this is possible by I tried everything issue including the grounding mod of the trans by the crank sensor.

Has anyone heard of this happening? Now I would have to take to the dealer so I would have to tow and hope this is the problem
Old 01-24-2010, 07:06 AM

I just bought a 95 maxima recently and I also get the crank no start issues.....to be honest with you it first started out as a no crank (until I changed the starter out) no start....after I put the starter in ...if you crank about 4 or 5 times it sometimes starts (not very often)...can I assume its the fuel pump at this point?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by TheRooki3
I just bought a 95 maxima recently and I also get the crank no start issues.....to be honest with you it first started out as a no crank (until I changed the starter out) no start....after I put the starter in ...if you crank about 4 or 5 times it sometimes starts (not very often)...can I assume its the fuel pump at this point?
uh, no? it could be spark plugs, numerous sensors, coils, bad fuel filter, bad injectors, Bad MAF, and then the fuel pump.
this thread talks about most of those.
take a look at the spark plugs first and then change the fuel filter, then i would start by taking one the injectors out and seeing if it is spraying fuel to even get to the point about your fuel pump.
Edit: welcome to the .org and thank you for not spamming some for sale thread with your question
Old 01-24-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
uh, no? it could be spark plugs, numerous sensors, coils, bad fuel filter, bad injectors, Bad MAF, and then the fuel pump.
this thread talks about most of those.
take a look at the spark plugs first and then change the fuel filter, then i would start by taking one the injectors out and seeing if it is spraying fuel to even get to the point about your fuel pump.
Edit: welcome to the .org and thank you for not spamming some for sale thread with your question
Ugh!....I kind of knew this but was afraid to know the answer lol....should I start in that very order you posted? Or start anywhere with the fuel pump being last? Wow....ill tell ya though...what a tease for it to start only sometimes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheRooki3
Ugh!....I kind of knew this but was afraid to know the answer lol....should I start in that very order you posted? Or start anywhere with the fuel pump being last? Wow....ill tell ya though...what a tease for it to start only sometimes
Just search buddy, this place is full of EXTREMLY valuable information.

Welcome to the .org
Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Im gonna say this should be the definitive no-start thread; seeing as it very easily passes over so many subjects required for starting a VQ.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM

All you need is air fuel and spark to start an engine but if you have a 99 it may be a different story.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM

I know I am getting fuel and fuel pressure as I can smell fuel on the plugs and outside the car. I changed the crank sensors and cam sensor, fuel pump and filter but I have not check the MAF as I thought I would get a code for this. I checked the voltage at the coils and it is 12v. At this point it would not hurt to check this also.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Im gonna say this should be the definitive no-start thread; seeing as it very easily passes over so many subjects required for starting a VQ.

Agreed. We can title it: "How to get ur maxi started" in the how-to section
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by max2di4
I know I am getting fuel and fuel pressure as I can smell fuel on the plugs and outside the car. I changed the crank sensors and cam sensor, fuel pump and filter but I have not check the MAF as I thought I would get a code for this. I checked the voltage at the coils and it is 12v. At this point it would not hurt to check this also.
take out a coil and plug. leave the coil connected to the wiring harness. put a plug into the coil and touch that spark plug to the engine. while that plug is touching the engine have someone crank the car and see if the plug sparks. if it does you have spark, if not then you have a problem
Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 PM

I put a new battery in it and its still starting pretty slow.

As for the CEL code, I was wondering why I wasnt getting any so I pulled the cluster and guess what..No bulb in the CEL light area..lol.

So i did the ecu diagnostic and got a :

4 fast blinks, 1 separate blink and then two quick last blinks.

So i'm guessing a 412 CEL code? or is this a 0402.

I checked 412 and got nothing..and the 0402 was a fuel temper sensor... ?

this isnt how the code is read

you get slow blinks 1st then fast blinks

so if your code was 0402 it would look like slow..slow..slow..slow ... fast fast then the next code or it will repeat

the codes will keep cycling til you turn it off

i would check it again or use the "loan a tool" at autozone and get a cel reader its free
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM

If you think its the fuel pump, spray some starting fluid into the intake while someone cranks it. If it fires a little, you know your not getting fuel, if nothing happens, then its probably spark.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by americanclassicg
If you think its the fuel pump, spray some starting fluid into the intake while someone cranks it. If it fires a little, you know your not getting fuel, if nothing happens, then its probably spark.
in some cases that might work but i have tried starting fluid and nothing happened and my root cause was a dead battery not fuel or spark related at all
Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by smai555
in some cases that might work but i have tried starting fluid and nothing happened and my root cause was a dead battery not fuel or spark related at all
It proved it wasnt fuel related.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranks all day but wont start =(