4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Radiator drain plug is stripped/seized

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:39 PM

Radiator drain plug is stripped/seized

When trying to do a coolant flush/refill, I ended up overtightening my radiator drain plug. When I attempted to re-open the radiator plug, it stripped. Instead of stopping, I continued to try to get the d*mn thing to open and stripped it further.

Now, I don't know what to do? Does anybody here have any suggestion on how to get a stripped/seized radiator drain plug out?? I still have those 4 notches on the outer rim of the drain plug which might be of use if I could find a tool or instrument that I could use to remove the thing. I have already tried a power drill --it didn't work.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:17 PM

Repair kit

radiators.com or radiator.com sells a cheap kit to fix your problem, just get a look at the site and check for yourself.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:29 PM

You really don't have to buy a new radiator, but if your experienced, I suggest that you retap the thread on the radiator (rethread) with a tapping tool which you probably could go to your local hardware store and find it. When you have done retapping the drain hole, you probably need to get a new size plug which proably be the same size as the tapping tool you used. When looking for the right tapping tool you prolly don't have to go big, but just maybe a 1/16th of a inch bigger. But be aware, the way you tap the drain hold could cause a leak when putting in the new drain plug. Good luck Oh almost forgot, just cut what is sticking out now, with maybe a dremel, and drill a hole thru the rest.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:04 AM

Re: Radiator drain plug is stripped/seized

Originally posted by jam4me
When trying to do a coolant flush/refill, I ended up overtightening my radiator drain plug. When I attempted to re-open the radiator plug, it stripped. Instead of stopping, I continued to try to get the d*mn thing to open and stripped it further.

Now, I don't know what to do? Does anybody here have any suggestion on how to get a stripped/seized radiator drain plug out?? I still have those 4 notches on the outer rim of the drain plug which might be of use if I could find a tool or instrument that I could use to remove the thing. I have already tried a power drill --it didn't work.
NO-NO-NO... Don't worry about the stupid plug if you did noit cause it to leak leave it be. Just remove the big hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator instead. It will do the same thing. Don't waste your time or money doing anything else.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:35 PM

Ok

Thanks folks, for the suggestions!

Now, I have a question: Where is the big radiator hose at? How do I get to it? Is it difficult to unhook and drain the radiator from there? Does anyone have a "How to"? Or how about a picture?

I bought another radiator drain plug today from Advance Auto for like a dollar. So, if that darn plug pops off, I have a replacement. If not, I guess I'll be using the hoses from now on...

Thanks
Old 03-16-2024, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

stripped rad plug.

Originally Posted by jam4me
Thanks folks, for the suggestions!

Now, I have a question: Where is the big radiator hose at? How do I get to it? Is it difficult to unhook and drain the radiator from there? Does anyone have a "How to"? Or how about a picture?

I bought another radiator drain plug today from Advance Auto for like a dollar. So, if that darn plug pops off, I have a replacement. If not, I guess I'll be using the hoses from now on...

Thanks
Hi...just had the exact same issue today. Flushed my 2002 nissan pathfinder...took the drain plug out, drained a few times, then put plug back in, refilled with distilled water and flushing solution....next morning when I went to empty the rad again the drain plug would not come out. Needless to say I was pissed...however, I figured it out as written above that the lower rad hose was just as good a drain point as the plug. So don't panic. When the car is cooled off take the lower hose off and flush to your hearts content, reattach the lower rad hose, fill rad and reservoir with correct coolant and check for air bubbles. Oh and by the way I wouldn't bother screwing with the plug again unless it is leaking....Cheers from Canada.