4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe and O2 Sensor Question

Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM
The Golden One

Y-Pipe and O2 Sensor Question

First things first...I'm a 1999 Cali. Spec.

Back in the day, I used to have SS AutoChrome Headers and Y-Pipe (fed. spec). This caused me to have to get an O2 simulator and extend one of the O2 sensors in order to get it to reach down to the front part of the Y-Pipe. I am also running a Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, Budget B-Pipe, and stock muffler.

I then 'de-modded' and got stock fed. spec. headers and y-pipe and have been running those for almost 2 years.

Fast forward to now...

My exhaust is getting louder and louder. I'm guessing it's my flex pipe. So I'm thinking of going back to a SS Y-Pipe (Warpspeed - or should I go alluminized steel?). So my questions are:

1) How much louder will my car be with just a Y-Pipe, High-Flow Cat, and Budget B-Pipe? When I had the headers on, it was loud and buzzy/rattely, which is why I de-modded. Couldn't stand it.
2) Can I buy a fed. spec. O2 sensor and use that on my car? I'm tired of having that spliced sensor in there and having to do it again if that ever needs changing.

Thanks.

Last edited by IlyaK; 01-24-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
First things first...I'm a 1999 Cali. Spec.

Back in the day, I used to have SS AutoChrome Headers and Y-Pipe (fed. spec). This caused me to have to get an O2 simulator and extend one of the O2 sensors in order to get it to reach down to the front part of the Y-Pipe. I am also running a Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, Budget B-Pipe, and stock muffler.

I then 'de-modded' and got stock fed. spec. headers and y-pipe and have been running those for almost 2 years.

Fast forward to now...

My exhaust is getting louder and louder. I'm guessing it's my flex pipe. So I'm thinking of going back to a SS Y-Pipe (Warpspeed - or should I go alluminized steel?). So my questions are:

1) How much louder will my car be with just a Y-Pipe, High-Flow Cat, and Budget B-Pipe? When I had the headers on, it was loud and buzzy/rattely, which is why I de-modded. Couldn't stand it.
2) Can I buy a fed. spec. O2 sensor and use that on my car? I'm tired of having that spliced sensor in there and having to do it again if that ever needs changing.

Thanks.

I dont have the y-pipe so take this with a grain of salt....

I think the biggest contributor to the noise output is the high flow cat. Headers and y-pipe, i think would add more engine noise rather than exhaust noise.

but u still have the stock muffler? So i dont see how u gettin that much exhaust noise. Maybe exhaust buzzing from the front of the car?

I ONLY swapped my stock muffler for a bullet racing muffler and i got exhaust noise. I wd expecrt that my exhaust with only get louder with headers and y-pipe. But not that much louder. DO u still have the resonator?? Installing the stock shd quiet her down a bit.

I dont kno about the 02 sensor, but the cali emissions are a pain. If u use the fed specs for a cali u WILL need modification
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 AM
The Golden One

It definitely sounds like its loud in the front. That's why I'm thinking flex pipe. It looks okay...but if one of the layers broke it would get louder no?

I got the Budget B-Pipe with resonator. And I'm already running fed pipes. Just need to know if I can plug in the Fed O2 front sensor and be okay.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM

YEah...if its gettin louder, prolly a hole in the flex pipe somewhere.

I cant remember what the cali spec stock system looked like. Was there a 02 after the cat?....

Ok I jus looked at the FSM...yo man how the hell u did u fit the fed spec y-pipe on a Cali spec in the first place lol. That must have sucked.

Looks like to me u def need to run longer wire for the 02 sensor after the 3 way cat on the Fed spec.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM
The Golden One

I changed out the headers and all. That's how I made it fit lol. I'm running a full Fed. Spec. setup.

That's why I'm saying if I get a fed. spec. front O2, it would already be long enough. I wanna know if my ECU will be okay with that sensor.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM

hmmm... only one way to find out lol.

Im thinkin on this....Ok so if u removed the Cali spec stock y-pipe, that means u eliminated the front cat (cuz the cali spec has two cats) and are running fed spec emissions now.

To make the 02 sensors fit with the aftermarket...u had to extend one of the 02 senors to the rear of the car behind the cat AND had to buy the test pipe for the B-pipe that has the mounting for the rear 02 sensor.

So then my question is, and maybe im not fully understanding...if u removed the cali spec first cat, then yur ecu is aleady seeing fed spec emissions, and if it working now..then it shouldnt matter about the rear 02???

So what exaclty are u tryin to do??

I dont think it will matter about the ECU BUT, the cali spec ECU may be programmed for lower emissions, and hence the reason for the extra cat.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM

OHHHHHHH!!!! i get it now. u were running stock fed spec for 2 yrs!!

Yea man, buy the fed 02 sensor..u shd be fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 AM

An o2 sensor is an o2 sensor. It does not make a difference if it is for a Cali Spec car or for Fed Spec. Just buy an 02 sensor made for the Fed Spec.
Secondly replace the stock y-pipe with a cattman unit.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
The Golden One

Yes cashoit. I have two O2 sensors running (the other 2 are controlled by a simulator). One goes into the front part of the factory Fed. Y-Pipe, the other goes in the back section of the Y-Pipe. Both are just below the flange where the Y connects to the header.

Why Cattman? It's crazy expensive. If I can keep an almost OEM sound and get a Warpspeed for half the cost, why wouldn't I?

That's what I want to know. Is my car going to be loud? If it is, then I'm just going to get my stock exhaust fixed. I don't see anything wrong with it, but something definitely is. I have a lot of noise in the front part of the exhaust.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Yes cashoit. I have two O2 sensors running (the other 2 are controlled by a simulator). One goes into the front part of the factory Fed. Y-Pipe, the other goes in the back section of the Y-Pipe. Both are just below the flange where the Y connects to the header.

Why Cattman? It's crazy expensive. If I can keep an almost OEM sound and get a Warpspeed for half the cost, why wouldn't I?

That's what I want to know. Is my car going to be loud? If it is, then I'm just going to get my stock exhaust fixed. I don't see anything wrong with it, but something definitely is. I have a lot of noise in the front part of the exhaust.
Yeah u def got a hole somethere in the front. Or one of the gaskets for the header is leaking.

what do u mean by simulator? Is your 02 blocked off like when u block it off for a straight pipe setup. Are any of your 02 sensors actually being used lol?? I still dont think u would screw up the ECU...but u prolly will get CEL for no CAT. THe front side 02 sensors should be good to use without any issue.

But this is only experimentation and heresay. Only one real way to find out bro. Like i sd, u prolly jus get CEL as worst case. BEst case would be the ECU adjust air/fuel mix and no CEL.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM

His primary o2 are working and the secondary 02 are being simulated.
Cattman because of the quality. You get what you pay for basically. And people have reported a bees in a can noise from using warpspeed y-pipes.
And people don't replace the y-pipe for sound. They replace them to get rid of the cats in them.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
The Golden One

I know why people do it lol. I've been on this forum/in this game a LONG TIME. It's the performance benefit, but I honestly couldn't care about performance. I just want SS (so it doesn't rust and go bad AGAIN) and a stock sounding exhaust with just a tad more angry tone.

I don't want to sound like I have a full exhaust or hear a lot of exhaust when driving around unless I absolutely got on it.

You think with a Cattman, high-flow cat, and budget b-pipe (with resonator) that I'd be able to achieve what I'm looking for? I don't want to spend $350 or whatever and get a Y from Brian and then regret it due to the noise.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM

I know why people do it lol. I've been on this forum/in this game a LONG TIME. It's the performance benefit, but I honestly couldn't care about performance. I just want SS (so it doesn't rust and go bad AGAIN) and a stock sounding exhaust with just a tad more angry tone.

I don't want to sound like I have a full exhaust or hear a lot of exhaust when driving around unless I absolutely got on it.

You think with a Cattman, high-flow cat, and budget b-pipe (with resonator) that I'd be able to achieve what I'm looking for? I don't want to spend $350 or whatever and get a Y from Brian and then regret it due to the noise.

yo man....ebay got 304 SS y-pipe with headers and all gaskets for 140 bucks delivered.

Stock pipe material is aluminized steel. SS is a much better material.

U prolly get more noise tho. But with a stock muffler tho cant imagine it being loud
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Stock Muffler = Stock sound. I have Warspeed Y-Pipe Stillen Non Resonated B-pipe and a stock muffler. I have a stock sounding car with a little deeper tone.

A comment about SS vs aluminized Warspeed. I bought an aluminized warpspeed y about the same time a friend bought a SS warpspeed. They both sounded the same new now mine after many years is getting a bees in the can sound. Just like my stock muffler did years ago when it rusted out. I think the rust contributes to the bees in the can sound on the Y-pipe get the SS and have less of a bees in the can sound. Stick with Warpspeed they are easy to buy these days and they will make sure to get you the right pipe for your car.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
The Golden One

Thank you Jesse. I'll keep what you said in consideration.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 PM
The Golden One

Well I found out why my car is loud.

My muffler has a hole in it. Damn EBay. Thing only lasted like 2 years.

Anyone have any recommendations for a stock sounding muffler that will last longer and that has the hangers/flanges already welded on?