4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My "wood grain" dash kit is peeling off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM

My "wood grain" dash kit is peeling off!!

Has anyone bought those dash kits from ebay? I also found this website:

http://www.carid.com/1999-nissan-max...ain-dash-kits/

Has anyone ever dealt with this product? Any recommendations where I can get official dash kits and not bull**** stickers?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 PM

My wood grain did the same thing. ill be watching to see if you get any good responses on this one.

gl
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You want a Joshua Tree kit, they are the real thing!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Thats nice. Where and hw much? do you have to replace the whole dash plastic peice or is it just the stick on stuf??
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Joshua Tree

I put the same in my Maxima four or five years ago, and it looks great. My wife bought the kit for a birthday gift, I would check them out. You have to get the surface really clean with alcohol first, like their instructions say.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 AM

Like Maxima 21 said, are these just stickers are are they plastic pieces? How do we go about removing the current dash piece? Use a flat head and pry it off?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Dash kits

The Joshua tree kit has wood with a plastic overlay that is very durable. It is attached to the existing dash plastic pieces, which in my case were the factory matte black plastic. You don't remove the factory dash. They are fairly thin, not just a film. The picture of car in question here looks like it had a factory dash with wood, or top layer of the dash kit is peeling. Like I said, I just followed Joshua tree's instruction to the letter, cleaned everything super well, making sure to use the adhesive 'enhancer', and everything is still looking good just like the other guy's dash in the pictures.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM

not to sound like an a$$ but its for the best.

why not get the woodgrain panels from the I30?...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Awesome. Thank you. but one question.... i have been looking on google and anything else i can but cant seem where to find this... can you help?

Last edited by maxima 21; 05-06-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Leave it NJmax to show the noobies how its done.

Sick interior yah!

OP,

I had the cheapo wood trim peel out stickers. It was cool unitl one hot day...that when all the stickies started to shrink and peel into itself. but for 20 bucks i got what i paid for haha.

Joshua Tree FTW
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
not to sound like an a$$ but its for the best.

first of all the don't make the wood panels for the Hazard/clock/defroster/vent panel or around the gauges and side vents.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM

i like my original wood grain but a previous owner has neons on it with the sticky side and glued it to the woodgrain in 3 different spots. how can i remove that sticky ****? i tried goo gone and some other stuff.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone

i second that...nothing beats OEM quality. ebay has them for cheap! a quick search came up with these.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Are Joshua Tree still around? I'd like to order but I can't find them on the web.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Ebony zebra FTW fosho!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Sure, if they were still in business...

Originally Posted by ineedamaxima
Are Joshua Tree still around? I'd like to order but I can't find them on the web.
Joshua Tree has been gone for over a year now. I'm glad I bought my CF overlays years ago when I did. Everything still looks like the day I bought it.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

oh so you guys were just teasing me with the whole "joshua Tree kits" lol. damn... anything else out there that is good quality?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Dammit!!! I need some carbon fiber goodness for my car!!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxima 21
oh so you guys were just teasing me with the whole "joshua Tree kits" lol. damn... anything else out there that is good quality?
I wish I knew where to get some quality overlays....but I don't unfortunately.
Dammit!!! I need some carbon fiber goodness for my car!!
No you don't.....

From 4 years ago....
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Maintenance Monster

I've had OEM and a Joshua Tree kit. Both of them peeled just like the OP after a few years. I suppose parking in a garage would help but I think it's eventually going to happen to everyone. Having a hot interior and cranking on the A/C caused it to start around the A/C vent and around the clock.

Right now about 1/2 of my wood trim is bare because I break off the resin when it peels. Bare wood doesn't look half bad.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Wow.. you guys want yours to stay on and I can't STAND MINE!! I'm just looking for ways to get rid of it to the point where I'm looking for a whole new center console set.

And Wizard, how do you do 4+ years without a short throw.. like driving trucks? lol.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hein
Wow.. you guys want yours to stay on and I can't STAND MINE!! I'm just looking for ways to get rid of it to the point where I'm looking for a whole new center console set.

And Wizard, how do you do 4+ years without a short throw.. like driving trucks? lol.
I have a B&M STS. I believe it's installed in the pic too (I think), as it was one of the first mods I did.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
I've had OEM and a Joshua Tree kit. Both of them peeled just like the OP after a few years. I suppose parking in a garage would help but I think it's eventually going to happen to everyone. Having a hot interior and cranking on the A/C caused it to start around the A/C vent and around the clock.

Right now about 1/2 of my wood trim is bare because I break off the resin when it peels. Bare wood doesn't look half bad.
The OEM will not peel it just doesn't have all of the pieces the OP would want. Like the center vent/clock pieces and the trim around the gauges and outside vents. If your "OEM" kit peeled then it was not the "OEM" kit. It might have been installed by the dealer but it is not the "Nissan" wood trim kit. The "nissan" wood trim comes with the shifter trim, radio trim, Auto climate control, the (drawer below the radio) and four window switch trims. If there is anything else I havn't seen it but I dont think there is.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I wish I knew where to get some quality overlays....but I don't unfortunately.

No you don't.....

From 4 years ago....

YO Wiz, you car man....

how u get get all those guages to look so clean...brilliant!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Any overlay will peel, it's what the sun does to them.

Best is not to get overlays and get the molded pieces from the I30.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Go to the group deal section, they have carbon fiber vinyl it looks pretty nice too
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM

I have a B&M STS. I believe it's installed in the pic too (I think), as it was one of the first mods I did.

Oh, phew lol. Your car is gorgeous all the way around. I'm doing a carbon fiber interior as well.. this local guy on NYCMax is offering custom carbon fiber work.. eyelids, interior, ANYTHING. I'll top your carbon fiber addiction because I'm itching right now!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hein
Oh, phew lol. Your car is gorgeous all the way around. I'm doing a carbon fiber interior as well.. this local guy on NYCMax is offering custom carbon fiber work.. eyelids, interior, ANYTHING. I'll top your carbon fiber addiction because I'm itching right now!
Can you PM me his info? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:03 PM

wood grain peeling

All 4th gen max suffer from wood grain peeling due to the angle of dashboard and its exposure to the sun..Plus I had a few paint jobs done on my car and the heat lamps they use also kills your wood trim..keep that in mind if anyone is considering getting a paint job...mine was just recently replaced and it gave my interior a complete refresh..Cost me $250 which is more than if I had done it myself but the job came out really nice..The guy I used was referred to me by the service guy at my local Nissan dealer..Its the guy they use when they need any work done on their cars..He ordered the kit for me, came to my house, removed the old one, and placed the new one. I didnt want to risk doing the job myself just in case i would of placed any of the pieces at a wrong angle. Even the slightest misplacement would of any piece would of killed the look, therefore I left it up to the pro with the skilled hand..Now its up to me to ALWAYS put my windshield visor and protect my trim..I'll try and post a pic soon
Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Grumpy old guy

Originally Posted by felorojas14
All 4th gen max suffer from wood grain peeling due to the angle of dashboard and its exposure to the sun.

Lets state that correctly "All 4th gen max suffer from aftermarket wood grain peeling due to the angle of dashboard and its exposure to the sun."

And even that's a bit strong of a statement as it really depends on the aftermarket manufacturer.

I've never seen a stock piece that had peeled.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Pics

Here are those pics...I'm now in the process of replacing my steering wheel...If anyone knows where I can find an oem one(used in good condition), please forward me a message..thnkx

http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Wood%20Trim/
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I am not sure if this is valid anymore but what people did a loooonnng time ago, and I'm talking when my parents were my age (More or less) when having the little cotton/denim type fuzzy things as a dash overlay was cool, was to clean the area of all protection/wax then sand down the area and then apply adhesive promoter, and stick on the over lay with firm pressure for like a minute in every area.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Can you PM me his info? Thanks!
it's cf vinyl overlay, lasts 4+ years before anything happens to it with out the 3m clearcoat.. it's all in the thread. i also believe he mentioned somewhere in there that it's an exclusive deal to nycm.org members but i might be mixin that up with another person who does the same thing, cept at a shop that you gotta go to.

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthr...2008&highlight

here's the other.. their shop did lambos and even a helicopter lol

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthr...8260&highlight
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM

has any one ever had the dash done out of fiberglass? a freind of mine has a custom shop and is going to try and build a custom 1 peice dash kit out of fiber glass... wonder if its ever been done befor?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxima 21
has any one ever had the dash done out of fiberglass? a freind of mine has a custom shop and is going to try and build a custom 1 peice dash kit out of fiber glass... wonder if its ever been done befor?
No, because it would make everything behind it (ie stereo etc) inaccessible. Ptatohed and I were going to do this in aluminum and CF, but decided against it in the long run. If you did it, it would have to be fully detachable, because think of how the stereo/AC vents come out..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM

i got mine on ebay just make shure they show that its the actual acrilyc coverd ones not the ones that are just a sticker i got mine in carbon for like 220 i live in puerto rico so shipping was steep

ps. real carbon not that boxy grey black patern sh!@t
Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 PM

No, because it would make everything behind it (ie stereo etc) inaccessible. Ptatohed and I were going to do this in aluminum and CF, but decided against it in the long run. If you did it, it would have to be fully detachable, because think of how the stereo/AC vents come out..

I thought about that..... But I was going to have it made to where it pops out similar to that the stock stuff does. There wld be a few screws on the bottom and just clips at the top. Its not for sure yet. Even being a good freind its gunna run me 4-5 hundred bucks.