4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DANM DEERS... FIX FIRST OR SELL AS IS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

DANM DEERS... FIX FIRST OR SELL AS IS?

Friday night on my way home a good looking 6 point buck came and said hi to me off of my drivers side headlight... (not sure how he didnt come through the windshield) It got the fender, Creased, the drivers door, creased, the hood, creased, and did a few numbers on the bumper, R34 1 peice headlight, black diamond cut bumber light. All needing to be replaced. I have freinds who will paint the car for cheap. So now my question is, i can have the car fixed and the entire body redone and reshot for about $1,200. If i repaint, Im stickin with black and doing blue reflective crystal in the clear. (black with blue theme throughout the car). and going to have MAXIMA airbrushed in ghost paint on the trunk lid. With that, and everything else ive done to the car, i should be able to get a decent bit out of her. Is it worth the time and money to fix it or just sell it as is???

I found the car i have been searching high and low for for the price i wanted to spend. 2002 SE 6spd. Highway driven, government maintained with 162K. UGLY wheels though but she is only asking $4700. So if it runs good. I AM buying it. I really dont want to pay for insurance on both. (liability only on the 97 :'( ) what do yall think???

befor

after

after bending panels back as much as i could with bare hands
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM

I'd fix it, but would go with straight black. I don't think you would get as much out of it unless you find the right buyer who shares your tastes.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM

another questions is,,, fix it and keep it as a toy??? Then again, once i got the 02. I wont want to drive it :/
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

How many miles on the 97? If it's up there, just fix the damage. It's not worth putting more $$$ into a 14 year old car.

The 02 with 162K on it isn't worth it either. To many miles and wtf does government maintained mean?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The plural form of deer is deer, not deers.

I have hit a few myself. Stupid deer...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 PM

That brought back memories for me hitting a deer many moons ago. Fix it if you can. That gov't deal isn't so good, I've seen cars going off to state surplus with puffs of blue smoke as the hauler loads them on the truck. At least you know the trouble you have too, wait for something better to come along.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Remember, when most people are looking to buy a car, they look for fewer modifications, not more. If, in the process of fixing it, you take it farther from stock (e.g. unusual colors, fancy paint, wacky body kit), you're not going to get a correspondingly higher price. Probably the opposite.

I'd start taking it back towards stock if I were looking to sell it. Get a factory grille in there, get some OE headlights to replace your R34s. The wheels probably won't hurt much, especially because the car is already low and would look awkward with factory wheels. Hitting it with blue flake is going to be expensive and probably won't help you sell the car for any more than will getting a good shop to spray it black.

Even people who want to modify their cars want to do it their way. A factory-stock old car is a blank canvas. A heavily modified car is someone else's work. Which one would you choose?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 AM

wanna sell me your r34 headlight mounting brackets?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM

The government maintained,,,, The lady who has it works for the Gov't. Thats all she would tell me. She used this car when she traveled for work so it was on thier maintanace program. Every 3000 miles she got an oil change, paid for by the feds, car was always in allignment, all fluids checked everytime, etc.... they actually have this card that says at certain miles certain things have to be done. even if it isnt needed.

I can get the car painted with the blue flake at no extra cost. a freind of mine works at a shop and has a dupont rep who cuts him deals... then is chargin me $200 to shoot the whole car plus paint at cost. So thats not a big deal. I have been thinkin about demoding it.... The motor storm S5 grill is already spoken for if i do. Im going to need the corner lights if anyone has them, Im still not completely set on selling the 97 anyway... I dont know what i want at this point.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

damn deer is correct, i hit one sunday night traveling from NYC to Rochester NY, and i was 4 miles from my exit. Thankfully it only wrecked my headlight, but you know damn HIDs for 5.5 gens cost and arm and a leg
Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Right, but the point wasn't that it was expensive. I'm saying, if I had to buy a Maxima and I looked at one with blue flake in the black paint, I'd stay away. Most people don't want it. Most people don't want anything that didn't come from the factory. Granted, the particular coat of black may not have been on it from the factory, but if I see custom paint on a car, I'm stepping back and looking for one that hasn't been modified.

It's an unfortunate truth that modifying cars isn't a good investment, and I'd look at black with blue flake as a modification. You'll probably get a higher price if you spray it plain black.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
Right, but the point wasn't that it was expensive. I'm saying, if I had to buy a Maxima and I looked at one with blue flake in the black paint, I'd stay away. Most people don't want it. Most people don't want anything that didn't come from the factory. Granted, the particular coat of black may not have been on it from the factory, but if I see custom paint on a car, I'm stepping back and looking for one that hasn't been modified.

It's an unfortunate truth that modifying cars isn't a good investment, and I'd look at black with blue flake as a modification. You'll probably get a higher price if you spray it plain black.
So i have been thinkin alot about this... And i know you are right, I just dont want to admit it. haha I put way to much money inot this car. So at this point, I am demodding. I have a lot of extra parts out of the interior that are up for sale. So this is moving to the FS section.... Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

P.S. THE MOTORSTORM S5 GRILL HAS ALREADY BEEN RESERVED.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 AM

Get it fixed like said above. and keep a shotgun in the back so that way, if the deer is still alive. blow it's head off, swear up and down, get back in car and leave.. LOL. j.k. about the last thought
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM

If you have any u pick u pull junk yards around hit them up. You might find everything you need there. Check out our rebuild thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-v-2010-a.html

This is the finished product.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...e/DSC00268.jpg
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM

oogh, remember when I hit deer on memorial day a few years back...

get the car fixed if insurance pays for it or if you can work out a payment plan, a 35 mph collision with a deer almost totaled my 96 max. Your looking at a new hood, finder, grill, headlight, and probably A/C condenser if it's antlers got in their like on mine, plus a blend paint job... Insurance doesn't payout much anymore before they total a 4th gen, it'd be a tough sale moving a car with damage aprox 50% of what it can be insured for... it's doable but at a huge loss good luck
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM

I would fix it my friend. Keep it as a toy. IMO
Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM

I would say do whatever is going to take less energy...if you've already done a ton of mods to the wrecked car, fix it bro don't waste your time. It's less money that way too...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Buck96
oogh, remember when I hit deer on memorial day a few years back...

get the car fixed if insurance pays for it or if you can work out a payment plan, a 35 mph collision with a deer almost totaled my 96 max. Your looking at a new hood, finder, grill, headlight, and probably A/C condenser if it's antlers got in their like on mine, plus a blend paint job... Insurance doesn't payout much anymore before they total a 4th gen, it'd be a tough sale moving a car with damage aprox 50% of what it can be insured for... it's doable but at a huge loss good luck
for me it was about 20-35... now entirely sure becuase of how i braked with the pedal and ebrake.. i didnt look at my speed. but i need fender hood bumper driver door headlight and bumper light. Luckily i still have my stock headlights and bumper lights.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by pdpaiste
I would fix it my friend. Keep it as a toy. IMO
Ive decided that once i get all the mods and the car sold im buying a freinds 92 300z as my toy. :-D