4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upper Spring Seat Rubber

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Schnell kaputt

Upper Spring Seat Rubber

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used different (wider) rear upper spring seats from another vehicle? I ended up using Moog ones and coupled with the fact that it looks like the top of the spring is a little wider in diameter than the OEM springs and I'm using extended travel rear mounts part of the top coil looks to be rubbing against the mount because the Moog rubber doesn't quite cover the entire diameter of the coil and I'm getting some noise.

I am planning to take it apart again but before I do so I'd like to have something ready to replace it. Would lining the underside of the mount with gasket material be enough? I'm worried it might chew through the material so ideally a wider spring seat rubber might do the trick.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bonka
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used different (wider) rear upper spring seats from another vehicle? I ended up using Moog ones and coupled with the fact that it looks like the top of the spring is a little wider in diameter than the OEM springs and I'm using extended travel rear mounts part of the top coil looks to be rubbing against the mount because the Moog rubber doesn't quite cover the entire diameter of the coil and I'm getting some noise.

I am planning to take it apart again but before I do so I'd like to have something ready to replace it. Would lining the underside of the mount with gasket material be enough? I'm worried it might chew through the material so ideally a wider spring seat rubber might do the trick.

Im dont understand what u are trying to do or why u are doing it. I think u bought Moog rear upper perches and bought Aftermarket springs for another vehicle and trying to install on the max???

Either way,, i think a rubber gasket is good enough. The OEM ones arent super strong or anything exotic.

If u referring to spring isolators and u on a budget u can buy 3/8" spiral wound from Radioshack and wrap the upper part of the springs.

EDIT:

When i replaced my spring/struts, the only thing i replaced on the rear were the bushings. The perches and gasket was fine.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1) Why are you using extended travel mounts with stock springs?
2) If it doesn't fix correctly, bring it back and try another brand (OEM).
Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Schnell kaputt

I'm running a CMS spring/Koni Yellow setup with shortened front Konis and extended travel mounts in the rear. The top of the rear springs are wider on the CMS so the upper rubber seat doesn't cover the entire diameter of the top coil.

I've looked at the OEM rubber and in terms of size are the same.

I've used spiral wrap already and I actually think it might be contributing to some other noises. I'll see if I can grab a picture..
Old 05-10-2011, 12:56 PM

im running the spiral wound and no issues here.

Damn Konis and their installation.

Off topic:

Can u go back to stock struts if u ran Konis? Or do u have to run Konis from now on?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Schnell kaputt

Rears you can they are their own dampers. The fronts are inserts so unless you had a spare pair of OEM struts to chop (which I had) you'd have to keep the Konis in there.

Installation was a breeze actually. I happen to be difficult