4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What lights am I missing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

What lights am I missing???

I just picked up the '99 Maxi and I think I have some dash warning lights out. I don't see a low fuel light or a CEL. Here is the pic of my pre-start dash lights.

If someone would be kind enough to let me know what lights are out and maybe post a link as to how I can fix/change them I would appreciate it. What I have now is the following:

TOP: ? - O/D OFF - ? - ? - ?
MID: AIRBAG (inside odo / speedo gauge).
LOWER: ? - Door Open - ? - ? - Brake .................. Batt - Oil - ? - Seat Belt - Service Engine Soon

Last edited by RSpi; 06-29-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM

check engine light is ON in that pic. Its the furthest most right light on the bottom. Its yellow.

And thats all of the lights my car lights up at mid startup...im 99 too
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Low Fuel only comes on when you have very low fuel, it does not come on when the key is turned on.

CEL = Service Engine Soon

Everything is normal on your dash. Good luck with the car.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks a lot. I have had the fuel very low and still did not get a light. I learned today that I have an 18.5 gallon tank so I might let it get a little worse. I have a P0325 and I think a P0400 so I'm going to get a knock sensor and move forward from there. I think I'll purchase a set of plugs while I'm at it.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by RSpi
I think I'll purchase a set of plugs while I'm at it.
In case you don't know, NGKs only.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the tip on the plugs.

I checked the ECU and found 2 codes. If there are codes in the computer, why isn't this "Service Enging Soon" light on?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the tip on the plugs.

I checked the ECU and found 2 codes. If there are codes in the computer, why isn't this "Service Enging Soon" light on?
The knock sensor code is a ghost code, it doesn't trigger the CEL/SES light.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Gram Lights addict

you got your question answered but you still went to the volvo forums and complained about us?

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 10-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
you got your question answered but you still went to the volvo forums and complained about us?
exactly. I read the OP over on the volvo forums, I guess he wanted us to come to his house and spoon feed him...........LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Gram Lights addict

OP must be 90 years old

he wants his low fuel gauge to be on with a 3/4 full tank
his CEL is bright and yellow yet he claims he doesnt see it
he complains that spark plugs are hard to remove on 99. LOL

so who will be the first to sign up on volvo forum and embarass him with these details?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 AM

OP must be 90 years old

so who will be the first to sign up on volvo forum and embarass him with these details?
I will...................
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Gram Lights addict

epic...............

it wont be official till you stamp the volvo forum thread by hotlinkin the official pwnage smiley

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 10-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Well while everyones on it...i got a 99 also... i didnt know were suppose to have a low fuel light??
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Well while everyones on it...i got a 99 also... i didnt know were suppose to have a low fuel light??
the only time it comes on is when you're at 1/8 tank or lower, on stock suspension of course
Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 AM

the only time it comes on is when you're at 1/8 tank or lower, on stock suspension of course
Interesting, would it come on earlier or later if you're lowered? My fuel gauge is all over the place as it will change as much as 1/4 by just going around an exit ramp and I don't think my gas light works because it's never come on before.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by Waxima
Interesting, would it come on earlier or later if you're lowered? My fuel gauge is all over the place as it will change as much as 1/4 by just going around an exit ramp and I don't think my gas light works because it's never come on before.

it all depends on the type of drop. when i was on my coilovers, my car was pretty level all around and my gas gauage didnt come on till the needle was actually on E or lower while on stock suspension it came on at 1/8
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Im on progress springs and ive run my tank right to E and its never came on....
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Just read that thread on the VULVA forum... What a d1ck move that was on his part.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Just read that thread on the VULVA forum... What a d1ck move that was on his part.
Crusher called him out of there.....LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Got Retrofit?

Fawking newbs.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
LoL yeah that was awesome. Good job Crusher!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Link to said Vulva forum thread??
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 AM

go to off topic, there is a thread in there
Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
retired moderator

OP must be 90 years old

I will...................
epic...............

it wont be official till you stamp the volvo forum thread by hotlinkin the official pwnage smiley
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Fawking newbs.
LoL yeah that was awesome. Good job Crusher!
Originally Posted by Cebby
Link to said Vulva forum thread??

you guys were doing so well in the beginning of this thread. Answered his questions well, played nice with a newbie.

10/10 for the first group of posts in this thread.

then you go and post all these, which pretty much validate (post facto) his complaints about childish behavior on the org.

1/10 for the follow-up

Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by irish44j
you guys were doing so well in the beginning of this thread. Answered his questions well, played nice with a newbie.

10/10 for the first group of posts in this thread.

then you go and post all these, which pretty much validate (post facto) his complaints about childish behavior on the org.

1/10 for the follow-up

says the guy who keeps going back and forth with MrGone about random crap
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
retired moderator

says the guy who keeps going back and forth with MrGone about random crap
ah, but I only do that in O/T, which is all about random crap
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Well, 1st off, I'm not a NEWBIE. I've been participating in auto forms for years. Just my first post here. And as you seen in my reply to you guys answering my question about the '99 Maxi, I did appreciate it and said thanks.

However, this post was made on 6.29.11. Way after I posted the "Maxi.org Kinda Sucks" comment over on the Volvo form on 5.6.11. I posted a couple of questions about a '91 Maxi that I picked up and got a bunch of crap. New or not, still should not have been treated like crap.

This thread was great, what I expected in the first place when visiting a forum. As for the light on the dash being on, I had the ignition on without the car running. I am use to all of the lights being on before the car is started and was wondering why I did not see a few, ie the low fuel light, etc. Also, Volvo's show a cel when the knock sensor is bad, wasn't sure why it wasn't making the light come on here. However, within minutes TigerSharkDude answered that question to my satisfaction. Great, I was/am thrilled. A much different experience that I had 58 days prior on the 3rd gen section.

When I first logged on, in the 3rd gen section, I flat out told the guys that I looked and looked, searched and searched and could not find the simple answer to my question. I also DID DO A GOOGLE search and could NOT find a manual for that car (I did find the one for the '99). So, as my question may have been answered several years ago, I could not find the answer so I asked. I would have been nice if THEY would have given me the common courtesy of answering the questions since I was an visitor from another site. Something that most of the VolvoForums guys would have been glad to do in a minute.

As for my auto experience, I have been tinkering with cars since I was 14. I worked in an auto body shop. From there I was trained how to replace tires on the rims, and has worked/serviced my own cars since. However, I do suffer from OCD and would rather ask what oil weight goes in a car than to put in the WRONG stuff. When in doubt - ask. Most auto makers put a label under the hood with the data on it, heck the '95 Saturn that I work on in July had it stamped right on the motor or oil cap. No need to ask that question. I'd rather service my car myself than to deal with the hacks at most professional shops. Beyond that, I have several years as an aircraft mechanic where I service airplanes all over the world so no, I really don't need anyone to hold my hands while I change oil. Just reading through the 3rd gen section that were about 90 different post about what filter to use and what oil goes where, yada yada yada, just sick!

So, when I logged back in here to figure out why Crusher and that other T-Behr904 is going nuts instead of reading my post and finding out why I said that, OR simply asked me why I posted that instead of going nuts, I quickly learned that you can not find my stats. So, back to my initial experience... Maxima.org kinda sucks!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Gram Lights addict

Well, 1st off, I'm not a NEWBIE. I've been participating in auto forms for years. Just my first post here. And as you seen in my reply to you guys answering my question about the '99 Maxi, I did appreciate it and said thanks.

However, this post was made on 6.29.11. Way after I posted the "Maxi.org Kinda Sucks" comment over on the Volvo form on 5.6.11. I posted a couple of questions about a '91 Maxi that I picked up and got a bunch of crap. New or not, still should not have been treated like crap.

This thread was great, what I expected in the first place when visiting a forum. As for the light on the dash being on, I had the ignition on without the car running. I am use to all of the lights being on before the car is started and was wondering why I did not see a few, ie the low fuel light, etc. Also, Volvo's show a cel when the knock sensor is bad, wasn't sure why it wasn't making the light come on here. However, within minutes TigerSharkDude answered that question to my satisfaction. Great, I was/am thrilled. A much different experience that I had 58 days prior on the 3rd gen section.

When I first logged on, in the 3rd gen section, I flat out told the guys that I looked and looked, searched and searched and could not find the simple answer to my question. I also DID DO A GOOGLE search and could NOT find a manual for that car (I did find the one for the '99). So, as my question may have been answered several years ago, I could not find the answer so I asked. I would have been nice if THEY would have given me the common courtesy of answering the questions since I was an visitor from another site. Something that most of the VolvoForums guys would have been glad to do in a minute.

As for my auto experience, I have been tinkering with cars since I was 14. I worked in an auto body shop. From there I was trained how to replace tires on the rims, and has worked/serviced my own cars since. However, I do suffer from OCD and would rather ask what oil weight goes in a car than to put in the WRONG stuff. When in doubt - ask. Most auto makers put a label under the hood with the data on it, heck the '95 Saturn that I work on in July had it stamped right on the motor or oil cap. No need to ask that question. I'd rather service my car myself than to deal with the hacks at most professional shops. Beyond that, I have several years as an aircraft mechanic where I service airplanes all over the world so no, I really don't need anyone to hold my hands while I change oil. Just reading through the 3rd gen section that were about 90 different post about what filter to use and what oil goes where, yada yada yada, just sick!

So, when I logged back in here to figure out why Crusher and that other T-Behr904 is going nuts instead of reading my post and finding out why I said that, OR simply asked me why I posted that instead of going nuts, I quickly learned that you can not find my stats. So, back to my initial experience... Maxima.org kinda sucks!

so you've been working on cars since you were 14 but you cant even find basic info like what kind of oil/amount your car takes? its in the owners manual. dont have one? get one on ebay....... dont have the money? 10 second google search answers that question. if you know your ways around cars the way you say you do, all you had to do was log on a oil manufacturer website like mobil 1 or penzoil and see what kind of oil is recommended for your motor. or you could have stopped by autozone/pepboys and browsed through a chilton/haynes manual. there are 50 other ways to find answers to these easy questions. did you visit fluids/lubricants forum? bet you didn't. sounds like you're used to being spoon fed. sadly most of us on this board are not fathers yet so we have yet to develope that technique.

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 10-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=2151347

I found your posts just fine, unless there were some older posts that got deleted somehow.

It doesn't really matter what happened to you because you came off like a whiny noob anyway. You may have been around cars and auto forums for quite some time...but you still don't know how to find information for yourself. You aren't in the minority though, there seems to be a general lack of understanding for searching for information on a forum. People don't know what terms to look for or to try alternative phrasing. It's just a skill some people have and others whine about.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM

http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendatio...=&vehicle=6424
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM

So, back to my initial experience... Maxima.org kinda sucks!
Oh well. You win a few, you lose a few...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/1997-Nissan-Maxima.pdf
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM

You can obtain an education far greater than any college can provide by just reading what is available.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 AM

bah!!! we have 150,000+ members and according to irish only 10% give correct info/responses. i think thats waaayyy off irish and you own a subie so your biased anywho....
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
bah!!! we have 150,000+ members and according to irish only 10% give correct info/responses. i think thats waaayyy off irish and you own a subie so your biased anywho....
He must be getting his bias off nasioc.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM

there may be 150k members BUT how many are active and have made 25+ posts this year?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 PM

:metalmax:
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
You can obtain an education far greater than any college can provide by just reading what is available.
I dont think so, some things no matter how much you read if no one shows you it you'll never learn it.

Says the guy whose 99% of his posts are useless.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 PM

why cant i post a thread?

Quick Reply: What lights am I missing???