4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

While riding or idling car just shuts off? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM

While riding or idling car just shuts off? WTF

My car has had this issue since i got it a few months back. I'll be riding or idling and the car will just cut off?? What the heck is that all about? After a few cranks she'll start back up, but before long it will cut off again? Additionally, i have no damn codes to at least give me an idea of what might be wrong. What do u guys think could be the problem? PLEEEEEEASE help me figure this one out before i lose it. Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM

my max did that occasionally when i first got it. it doesn't sound like it did it as much as yours as it only did it once a month or so. sometimes it would act up more than others. i changed my fuel filter and it hasn't happened in over a year.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Team Ramrod

Might as well replace your fuel filter, they're cheap enough anyway and it sounds like that may be your problem.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM

mine did this too, it would be idling fine and just turn off. I never figured it out, but when i went to fix a crank seal leak i saw that the CPS was caked in dirt...not sure if that could be related in anyway but its worth a shizotttttt. word.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Check the CPS
Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 PM

i replaced my fuel filter and problem is gone.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 PM

I retract what I said. Not only am I unsure if it was the cps since it was mounted on the oil pan under the crank pulley, but it didn't even fix the stalling. My car did it again. And when it does it is it really hard to get it to start again for anyone else?
I think it might be my piece of **** ebay fpr not holding pressure or something.
Ill sit there and crank and crank and crank and when it starts it idles really rough until revved a couple times.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
I retract what I said. Not only am I unsure if it was the cps since it was mounted on the oil pan under the crank pulley, but it didn't even fix the stalling. My car did it again. And when it does it is it really hard to get it to start again for anyone else?
I think it might be my piece of **** ebay fpr not holding pressure or something.
Ill sit there and crank and crank and crank and when it starts it idles really rough until revved a couple times.

That's precisely what my car is doing!! Well at least i know i'm not the only one with this problem. When it shuts off, it take about 5 to 6 cranks on average to get it to start back, and that's with the help of a lil gas while cranking. I notices that it happens after about 20 minutes or so of driving. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and see how that affects anything. Also, does this happen frequently with autos as well or does it maybe affect manuals more often? BTW, i have a manual.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:30 PM

My car is manual as well, I don't think that's the problem. I'm thinking in my case its something fuel related. Mine is a lot harder to start than what your describing, sometimes I give up and come back to it later because its just cranking and cranking. I do press the gas pedal as well sometimes.. And like when it finally decides to start the rpms are really low and bouncing like its gonna stall unless I rev it. I wonder if its an injector thing.
Ill replace the fuel filter reguardless because its just time...but I don't think that's going to solve my problem.
There's no real pattern with mine that I can think of except that it usually happens at night when the car has been sitting for awhile. Like I will go to a meet and be trying to leave and the car will start, stall and I have to sit there and crank it on and off for like 10 minutes.
My fpr reads down near 40 sometimes when the car is off but stays at 51 when running.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 PM
<3's the all motor section

dont mean to be repetitive...but check your CPS...i also believe it is at fault.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM

im gonna check the fsm and report back in a minute. word.
okay by cps do yall mean CRANK or CAM position sensor?
the one i cleaned was the crank sensor...not that it made a difference or anything.
and yes, after reading the FSM thats all i came back with. lol
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 AM

wow, my car is doing the same thing...it starts up, but the moment i go up to 2500 rpm it starts to stutter, I cant even go past 40km/hr. And if i turn the car off it takes a while to start up again...anyone with similar problems?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by big h
wow, my car is doing the same thing...it starts up, but the moment i go up to 2500 rpm it starts to stutter, I cant even go past 40km/hr. And if i turn the car off it takes a while to start up again...anyone with similar problems?
Refusal to rev above 2500 RPM is a MAF problem...no one's posted yet if they have any codes, which is obviously the first thing to check.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 AM

check the camshaft position sensor

the crankshaft would cause starting issues not stalling issues
Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by heynow
check the camshaft position sensor

the crankshaft would cause starting issues not stalling issues
yeah well i'm having both. lol. i'm gonna go pick up a CPS from the dealership today (assuming its in stock). and let yall know how it goes.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Wants a real car

Check Your Knock Sensor and water temperature sensor. either of those can cause the car to stall irratically. and the computer cant read if its malfunctioning. because the sensors will give out a signal still. it will just be the wrong signals
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

see..this is what irritates me. its almost as if, ALL sensors could stall your car if they are giving the wrong signals. i dont see why it would take SOOO much cranking though...and finally start
Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM

just got back from mech..my car is in limp mode....code is to replace MAF
Old 07-13-2007, 02:08 PM

chillin014, have you replaced the ECTS yet?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by heynow
chillin014, have you replaced the ECTS yet?
engine coolant temp sensor? no i havent. is it expensive?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Team Ramrod

engine coolant temp sensor? no i havent. is it expensive?
Nah, I think I payed $27 for it a few years ago when I first bought my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM

See I don't have a problem with replacing a few sensors for that price...I mean..its an old car, ill feel better once its done. So I guess ill call them in at nissan and see if they do anything lol.
Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
Nah, I think I payed $27 for it a few years ago when I first bought my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM

i took my max to 2 dealers and about five shops and no one can find the problem with my car my car runs fine but when you shift in drive it turns off but when it finally stays on it runs good for about 3 days and dies for 2 days is your problem roughly the same
Old 07-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by papo99
i took my max to 2 dealers and about five shops and no one can find the problem with my car my car runs fine but when you shift in drive it turns off but when it finally stays on it runs good for about 3 days and dies for 2 days is your problem roughly the same
well you werent real specific in explaining your situation. The distinct characteristic about my car's problem are..(And sorry to the OP if im hijacking)
1. MOST of the time, the car starts and drives completely fine.
2. it will usually stall after the first start up when the car has been sitting and cooled off completely, within the first couple minutes of start up and idling, it stalls.
3. it is extremely hard to get started once it stalls...takes multiple cranking sessions.
4. once it starts (it always does eventually), it stumbles for a second until revved or i guess warmed up a little.
it doesnt USUALLY stall again once its started, although it has on an occasion or two.
my starter is practically brand new, my battery is practically brand new.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Alright I've got news. My car is doing it very bad now. I got a video of it just in case. I cleaned off the cps for ****s and giggles and the car started up, ran fine, and then died again as I was in reverse. Now it won't start again. I'm thinking it may be the cps...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had these same issues and it was my water temp sensor, CPS can cause these same issues as well. Go to autozone and have them run your ECU for codes. Its free and let them know even though it is a 1995 it does have an OBDII connector, on the passengers side.<= In reference only if you didnt already know that.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM

I couldnt even get my car started again. So i gave up... I'm going to hit up the dealership tomorrow for both of those sensors and possibly a fuel filter.
wait, do both those sensors throw codes?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

While riding or idling car just shuts off ?

Similar issues too - Thanks to all the posts related to you question. I will replace the fuel filter and see what happens. My codes are clear. Meaning it is not emmission system related. If anyone needs instructions on pulling codes on 1995 pre-OBD II maxima - Holla !. Peace . K'bateq
Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 AM

alright i called the dealership. The CPS was 80 bucks! i said i'll pass and try to find one at a junkyard or somewhere else brand new thats cheaper.

i ordered the coolant temp sensor which is only 20 bucks, and am going to pick up the fuel filter which is in stock. im gonna have to pull codes the manual way because i dont want to drive hte maxima anywhere the way its acting.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM

here's a video of how my car idles when its having the problem. it doesnt actually idle, i have to rev it, but if i give it a steady amount of gas it jumps all over the place. anyway. i bought a fuel filter and while i highly doubt its the reason for this; i'm replacing it today.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:34 PM

well you werent real specific in explaining your situation. The distinct characteristic about my car's problem are..(And sorry to the OP if im hijacking)
1. MOST of the time, the car starts and drives completely fine.
2. it will usually stall after the first start up when the car has been sitting and cooled off completely, within the first couple minutes of start up and idling, it stalls.
3. it is extremely hard to get started once it stalls...takes multiple cranking sessions.
4. once it starts (it always does eventually), it stumbles for a second until revved or i guess warmed up a little.
it doesnt USUALLY stall again once its started, although it has on an occasion or two.
my starter is practically brand new, my battery is practically brand new.
No problem, were in the same boat, your just doing the paddling right now, LoL. Question...... my engine bay be HOT!!! as **** could that be related to an ECTS problem?? Additionally, sometimes when i'm driving the car will just start bucking as if i'm at the rodeo then cuts off.....i though it was a ignition coil problem like i had on my 99' max but i wasn't sure......could this be related to this issues i'm having with the car stalling or if this a whole nother problem in itself?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by $EXY BLAXIMA
No problem, were in the same boat, your just doing the paddling right now, LoL. Question...... my engine bay be HOT!!! as **** could that be related to an ECTS problem?? Additionally, sometimes when i'm driving the car will just start bucking as if i'm at the rodeo then cuts off.....i though it was a ignition coil problem like i had on my 99' max but i wasn't sure......could this be related to this issues i'm having with the car stalling or if this a whole nother problem in itself?
lol "as if your at the rodeo". I'm not sure about the bucking, but if you saw my video with how sporadic it was acting i wouldnt doubt that could cause some bucking...its never done that to me while im driving though so i dont know. Either way, im replacing the ECTS as soon as the shipment comes in to the dealership. (its only like 17 bucks). Hopefully i can catch a ride to the junkyard and pick up a few cam sensors for us soon, ive been there a couple days this week and im tired of driving out there myself.
i dont think mine is a coil problem...i had a coil problem before and it wasnt anything like this. plus ive got the 3.5 motor in the car so the coils are from 02 and only have like 80k on them.
anyway, in teh process of replacing the fuel filter right now. the car seems to be starting okay today although it gave me some trouble earlier...i hate inconsistent* problems.
also- i keep forgetting to check my codes, im about to go do that.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by koibateq
Similar issues too - Thanks to all the posts related to you question. I will replace the fuel filter and see what happens. My codes are clear. Meaning it is not emmission system related. If anyone needs instructions on pulling codes on 1995 pre-OBD II maxima - Holla !. Peace . K'bateq
Pre-OBD-II, eh? Please, tell me more, I'm interested. I've got a '95, I would love to know how to pull codes since it isn't OBD-II...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 AM

okay guys. I replaced the engine coolant temp sensor after i replaced my coolant hose (it cracked) and refilled the coolant. I started the car up and it did not stall upon warm up...drove it around...let it cool off for about 4 hours it started fine. I took it out tonight to some meets, turned it off for about 3 hours and it started fine again.
I THINK my problem may be solved. Thank god for the org because i would have NEVER guessed it would be the ECTS...it doesnt even suggest that in the Chiltons manual.
The sensor was like 38 bucks from the dealership (w/o the discount they give me)...but still well worth it either way. Check it out guys, its worth a shot. I'll let you know if my problem comes up again.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 PM

I just bought a 97 gle from a friend about a month ago. The same exact problem would occur in episodes ranging from severe, to not so bad. But eventually after a maximum of four tries the engine would start back up. I switched gas stations, filled up with exxon premium, and the problem went away. I realized that the cheap Citgo station next to me could be blamed for the problem. The episodes seemed to coincide the times that I filled gas over there. There IS such a thing as bad gas.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM

97 Maxima SE Engine Cuts Off While Driving!

Please help!!!

I have a '97 Nissan Maxima that just started this very dangerous game of the engine cutting off while driving. There have been no perfomance issues to speak of, but yesterday while making a left turn the engine just cut off.

When the engine cut off there was a flicker of the dome light, the radio went dead, and wham, the engine shut off (it was instantaneous). I didn't have any power steering or brakes and I had to coast the car to the side of the road. I noticed that while coasting all of the dash lights came on and stayed on. It definitely seems like somthing electrical just shut the car off and then on! I immediately shifted back into park and restarted the car without any issues. I just don't know when this is going to happen again and that's what makes this scary.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Does anyone have any solutions? Are there any recalls or TSBs regarding this?

Please help as this is my wife's car and the primary vehicle that my child drives in!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM

have you read this thread?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by koibateq
Originally Posted by pmohr
Pre-OBD-II, eh? Please, tell me more, I'm interested. I've got a '95, I would love to know how to pull codes since it isn't OBD-II...
Sorry for reviving a long-dead thread, but I would also be interested in this info since my neighbor has a '95 Max with ODB-I. Her car is stalling after it gets warm, e.g., she's been driving around and stops @ a light, the car will stall on her.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi chillin014 you was right on the ects...i was having the same problem so i came to the site and read your statement so i quickly went and bought the sensor and my car is fix...so thank you for the imput...
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

is the ects i just change mine and my car is fix...i had the same exact problem

Quick Reply: While riding or idling car just shuts off? WTF