4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by desktop
Brave man. I have to do this same thing to my Infiniti, but I'm going to have a local body shop do the work for me. They quoted me $300 which includes a new cross-member and the labor to install it.
This may be an absurdly silly question, but are you 100% sure you are getting quoted for a lower rad support replacement and not the lower crossmember that is bolted to it?

Im just asking because the support itself is about 150$, and the labor involved is WAY more than 150$, perhaps even if you had a buddy do it. Ive also never heard someone refer to the lower rad support as a crossmember.

As other members said, just buy the crossmember yourself so you know its OEM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Can you guys recommend where I can find a OEM cross-member? I have zero experience with this sort of thing so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
This may be an absurdly silly question, but are you 100% sure you are getting quoted for a lower rad support replacement and not the lower crossmember that is bolted to it?
I just called O'Reilly's and inquired about this cross member and he explained that the part I'm talking about that's all rusted out is the radiator support. Does anyone have a link to a Infiniti schematic anywhere so I could see these two different parts? At least then I would know what everyone is referring to.

Last edited by desktop; 09-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM

I just called O'Reilly's and inquired about this cross member and he explained that the part I'm talking about that's all rusted out is the radiator support. Does anyone have a link to a Infiniti schematic anywhere so I could see these two different parts? At least then I would know what everyone is referring to.
http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanpar...artcode=62530M

its the support that runs across under the radiator
im not saying buy it here, its just to know what your looking at....on this site its pretty expensive...usually the price is about 130 bux

heres a link to show how aftermarkets crap out before they even rot!
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...r-support.html

Last edited by max-nutcase; 09-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the link and the info. I'm going to the body shop tomorrow and make sure that I'm getting the right part.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM

Well this morning I went out and took some photos....
Attached Thumbnails Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics-support1.jpg   Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics-support2.jpg   Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics-support3.jpg   Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics-support4.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM

I did some more research on this and even checked out the other threads here on the forums (Houston, We Have A Problem, etc.). It seems there are three different parts here—the cross member, the upper and lower radiator support. Am I correct?

The thing I need to find out is which of these parts need replaced on my car. I can tell just by looking that the radiator support (upper? lower?) is totally rusted out. I'm unsure what the cross member looks like so I'm still not sure on that one.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

I believe this is the main radiator support (see attached pic). I tried visiting some of the online parts places mentioned in the threads here, but when I type in my car's VIN number they all say "model not found".

Most of the threads I have read here mention that it's best to buy the part myself and then have the body shop put it on. So I have been searching around and I found this on Factory Auto Parts Direct: http://factoryautopartsdirect.com/pa...agramCallOut=6

See #5 on that page. Online price is $157.48. Is this a good place to get that part from?
Attached Thumbnails Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics-support.jpg  

Last edited by desktop; 09-23-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 AM

I believe this is the main radiator support (see attached pic). I tried visiting some of the online parts places mentioned in the threads here, but when I type in my car's VIN number they all say "model not found".

Most of the threads I have read here mention that it's best to buy the part myself and then have the body shop put it on. So I have been searching around and I found this on Factory Auto Parts Direct: http://factoryautopartsdirect.com/pa...agramCallOut=6

See #5 on that page. Online price is $157.48. Is this a good place to get that part from?
im not sure where the cheapest place to get an oem support...i do believe the supports for I30s and maximas are the same...so try nissan...i think infinity would add a few bucks on for the heck of it...but yes that last pic u posted is the correct part
Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Nissanpartsasap.com is usually the best place to buy IMO.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by max-nutcase
im not sure where the cheapest place to get an oem support...i do believe the supports for I30s and maximas are the same...so try nissan...i think infinity would add a few bucks on for the heck of it...but yes that last pic u posted is the correct part
I called Pfifer Nissan in Grand Rapids and the guy said I can get the lower OEM radiator support (minus the side headlamp brackets) for $200. However, on that site I linked to in my last post they only want $157.84
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I called Pfifer Nissan in Grand Rapids and the guy said I can get the lower OEM radiator support (minus the side headlamp brackets) for $200. However, on that site I linked to in my last post they only want $157.84
Nissanpartzone.com, it has the part for ~150$ shipped. OEM of course. 4th gen maxima and i30 are interchangable here.

Your crossmember is rusty but its a solid hunk of steel so i wouldnt worry about that at all. Youre going to need the lower rad support (the one you pictured), and two new bushings + bolts to go into the crossmember - bolts/bushings can be found on the same website you order from. Dont bother with the upper/complete rad support you dont need it 99 times out of 100.

If you plan on doing this yourself, you dont need to drain the coolant/disconnect any rad hoses or mess with anything of that nature. If you are paying a shop make sure they arnt going to charge you for that because otherwise your spending a good chunk of change on something 100% pointless.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I visited that Nissan site you mentioned, but again they don't have any Infinitis. Do you have an actual link to the OEM part on that site?

I'm not even considering doing this myself. I'll have the body shop do it, but I want to make sure I get the correct part myself. The body shop wanted to charge me $400 for the lower OEM rad support.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I visited that Nissan site you mentioned, but again they don't have any Infinitis. Do you have an actual link to the OEM part on that site?

I'm not even considering doing this myself. I'll have the body shop do it, but I want to make sure I get the correct part myself. The body shop wanted to charge me $400 for the lower OEM rad support.
just go to nissan and get one for the same gen maxima...they are the same!!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=112

Part codes 11248 (bushings x2), 11530A (bolts x2)

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=625

Partcode 62530M (lower rad supportx1)

400 labor is a decent price for this job. Your work is cut out for you parts-wise, good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Nissanpartzone.com, it has the part for ~150$ shipped. OEM of course. 4th gen maxima and i30 are interchangable here.

Your crossmember is rusty but its a solid hunk of steel so i wouldnt worry about that at all. Youre going to need the lower rad support (the one you pictured), and two new bushings + bolts to go into the crossmember - bolts/bushings can be found on the same website you order from. Dont bother with the upper/complete rad support you dont need it 99 times out of 100.
Slamrod, thank you for the links and the info. I appreciate it. I stopped in at the body shop and talked to the guy about all of this. He climbed under my car and examined the damage and said I would also need the side pieces that go around the headlamps.

Now I know you'll all probably glare disdainfully at me when I say this (lol), but he can order the lower radiator support and the side pieces for a lot less than I'd be paying for the ones online. I know you've all said to go with the OEM parts, but unfortunately I have to go with what I can afford and right now I'm going to go with the parts the body shop guy will order for me.

I grilled him about the likelihood of aftermarket parts going out after a while, but he has assured me that what he is getting for me will last five to ten years. Probably the life of the car. I asked him to put this in writing, and he said he would. He also said that he would put some rust coating on everything and that if those parts do start to show signs of wear the body shop will honor the guarantee of replacing and/or fixing them.

I have to go with this option because after labor and everything it will be $300 (the original estimate). Right now that's really all I can afford and I want to get this fixed before winter gets here.

I appreciate all your help. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Slamrod, thank you for the links and the info. I appreciate it. I stopped in at the body shop and talked to the guy about all of this. He climbed under my car and examined the damage and said I would also need the side pieces that go around the headlamps.

Now I know you'll all probably glare disdainfully at me when I say this (lol), but he can order the lower radiator support and the side pieces for a lot less than I'd be paying for the ones online. I know you've all said to go with the OEM parts, but unfortunately I have to go with what I can afford and right now I'm going to go with the parts the body shop guy will order for me.

I grilled him about the likelihood of aftermarket parts going out after a while, but he has assured me that what he is getting for me will last five to ten years. Probably the life of the car. I asked him to put this in writing, and he said he would. He also said that he would put some rust coating on everything and that if those parts do start to show signs of wear the body shop will honor the guarantee of replacing and/or fixing them.

I have to go with this option because after labor and everything it will be $300 (the original estimate). Right now that's really all I can afford and I want to get this fixed before winter gets here.

I appreciate all your help. Thank you.
I cant say that all aftermarket supports are no good, but I would at the very least wanna see it before install, and make sure its heavier than the one in this link.........(im sure this one is very light its so thin)

Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 PM

I cant say that all aftermarket supports are no good, but I would at the very least wanna see it before install, and make sure its heavier than the one in this link.........(im sure this one is very light its so thin)

Heh, good point. Thanks. I saw that photo when I was searching the forums. I think I'll send that to the body shop guy...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Heh, good point. Thanks. I saw that photo when I was searching the forums. I think I'll send that to the body shop guy...
I dont care what kind of guarantee hes writing, do you wanna go thru this BS again in 6 months? cuz if hes using the same support as in that pic, it will fail!
I cant understand why a company would think something so thin could support that weight...its like tin

Last edited by max-nutcase; 09-24-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 PM

I dont care what kind of guarantee hes writing, do you wanna go thru this BS again in 6 months? cuz if hes using the same support as in that pic, it will fail!
I cant understand why a company would think something so thin could support that weight...its like tin
Well the body guy just returned my email and said "yep, the metal will be that thin...that's why it's so cheap."

So....I am back to the original plan: order the parts I need from the Nissan site. However, this time I have to include the side parts and each of those is around $100. So it's gonna cost me $350 for everything, and then there's the labor. Grrr.....
Old 09-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well the body guy just returned my email and said "yep, the metal will be that thin...that's why it's so cheap."

So....I am back to the original plan: order the parts I need from the Nissan site. However, this time I have to include the side parts and each of those is around $100. So it's gonna cost me $350 for everything, and then there's the labor. Grrr.....
Do it right, do it once. Again id recomend forgoing the side pices but if youre dealing with a trustworthy mechanic youre better off taking his word than mine.

Pretty much everyone on this site has gone through this bs or will eventually, so we understand your frustration. Its 100% a design flaw on nissan's behalf and its crap that we, the consumer, have to dig into our pockets or bust azz to fix it.

But once its done, youll never have to worry about it again. Just think of this as a rite of passage lol.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Being a body shop why ,if he knew it was that thin and cheap he would even bother! especially since he said he would guarantee it, not only did u do yourself a favor but you really did him a favor cuz you wouldve been a thorn in his side asking him to re-do it in a few months under the guarantee!
Once you showed him that pic he shouldve known better than to use that cheap support..those supports break long before rust even sets in!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 PM

Pretty much everyone on this site has gone through this bs or will eventually, so we understand your frustration. Its 100% a design flaw on nissan's behalf and its crap that we, the consumer, have to dig into our pockets or bust azz to fix it.

But once its done, youll never have to worry about it again. Just think of this as a rite of passage lol.
Yeah, I hate spending that kind of money, but once it's done it will be done. Also, it's cheaper than a new car

Being a body shop why ,if he knew it was that thin and cheap he would even bother! especially since he said he would guarantee it, not only did u do yourself a favor but you really did him a favor cuz you wouldve been a thorn in his side asking him to re-do it in a few months under the guarantee!
Yeah, he should have known better. Thanks for the heads up (and the link to that pic).
Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM

Well I emailed customer support at Nissan Parts Zone four times and no one could intelligently answer my inquiries about the rad supports I need. So this morning I called them. I got hung up on twice while waiting for someone to help me and then finally this guy tells me "Sir, you should call a local Nissan dealer to get the help with the parts you need." o_O

So then I call Pfeiffer Infiniti in Grand Rapids and he tells me that the lower rad support would be $240 and the side pieces would be $134 each. o_O

I called my local junkyard and asked him if he had a 2000 Infiniti I30 lying around and he said, "Got one coming in Thursday. Call me then." I don't know how much he'd soak me for those rad supports, but I bet it won't be $500.

Does anyone have any other advice on getting these parts, other than Nissan Parts Zone, because those guys are idiots.

Last edited by desktop; 10-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Well I emailed customer support at Nissan Parts Zone four times and no one could intelligently answer my inquiries about the rad supports I need. So this morning I called them. I got hung up on twice while waiting for someone to help me and then finally this guy tells me "Sir, you should call a local Nissan dealer to get the help with the parts you need." o_O

So then I call Pfeiffer Infiniti in Grand Rapids and he tells me that the lower rad support would be $240 and the side pieces would be $134 each. o_O

I called my local junkyard and asked him if he had a 2000 Infiniti I30 lying around and he said, "Got one coming in Thursday. Call me then." I don't know how much he'd soak me for those rad supports, but I bet it won't be $500.

Does anyone have any other advice on getting these parts, other than Nissan Parts Zone, because those guys are idiots.
I know people have said in the past , there is a guy name Dave B here on the .org....maybe try him?...but why did u try a infinity dealer and not nissan? i think just cuz they are infinity they would charge more for the support
Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 AM

I know people have said in the past , there is a guy name Dave B here on the .org....maybe try him?...but why did u try a infinity dealer and not nissan? i think just cuz they are infinity they would charge more for the support
Because the guy at Parts Zone told me to. After getting hung up on twice and asking about the rad supports he finally told me to just call a Nissan dealer.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Well I just found all the rad parts I need at InfinitiPartsUSA.com I called them to verify these were OEM parts and that they would fit my car. He said 'yep' to both.

Lower Rad Support - $159.44
Headlamp Support RH - $89.42
Headlamp Support LH - $86.66
Cross member Bolts - $3.80 (2)
Bushings - $7.70 (2)

= $372.07 shipped.

Seems pretty good to me.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Check WWW.orderinfinitiparts.com for comparison.

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Check WWW.orderinfinitiparts.com for comparison.
I already ordered the parts from Infiniti Parts USA. I did price those same parts at the place you linked to and I would have saved about $17 bucks. Not a huge deal.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM

I just used thick L profile. It hold 3,5 years after.
Name:  Picture016.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  42.8 KB
Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Well this morning my rad support parts came from InfinitiPartsUSA.com I thought they'd be a little heavier. The side pieces seem pretty flimsy, but the papers say "genuine Nissan OEM".

Name:  MGO6wUQ.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  MUa8PP4.jpg
Views: 186

Name:  PKoQeuW.jpg

Name:  DpIKaPg.jpg

Last edited by desktop; 10-16-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Well this morning my rad support parts came. I thought they'd be a little heavier. The side pieces seem pretty flimsy, but the papers say "genuine Nissan OEM".

Yep thats how the side pieces are, i remember sayin the same thing wen i seen em, but the sides dont have to be as strong as the lower...but glad your good to go with ur support...id take extra rust proofin measures before sowing the front end up....so its the last time you ever have do it~!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Yep thats how the side pieces are, i remember sayin the same thing wen i seen em, but the sides dont have to be as strong as the lower...but glad your good to go with ur support...I'd take extra rust proofin measures before sowing the front end up....so its the last time you ever have do it~!
Amen to that! The body guy said he'd coat everything with some rust proof stuff, but I'm also going to ask him if he will solder some metal over all those holes. That way no free standing water/salt/etc. will be able to sit in there and rust it out again.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 AM

Got the lower rad support in. He didn't need the headlamp pieces so I'm returning those. He showed me some pics of the cross member that bolts to the underside of the rad support and it's rusted out in the top. So that's next.......(sigh) it never ends, lol. I found one on eBay for $68. It's used, but in pretty good shape.

Is that a difficult thing to install yourself? I'm just wondering if I have to brace up the bottom of the engine before I take it off. Does anyone know?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got the lower rad support in. He didn't need the headlamp pieces so I'm returning those. He showed me some pics of the cross member that bolts to the underside of the rad support and it's rusted out in the top. So that's next.......(sigh) it never ends, lol. I found one on eBay for $68. It's used, but in pretty good shape.

Is that a difficult thing to install yourself? I'm just wondering if I have to brace up the bottom of the engine before I take it off. Does anyone know?
The engine is still supported by the tranny mount and the passenger side motor mount. The cross member is heavy, like 25 pounds, so brace yourself, not the car lol. Also, 2 of the main motor mounts are on the cross member. It's a good idea to replace those if yours are tired. That way, rad support and mounts can be done in one job.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The engine is still supported by the tranny mount and the passenger side motor mount. The cross member is heavy, like 25 pounds, so brace yourself, not the car lol. Also, 2 of the main motor mounts are on the cross member. It's a good idea to replace those if yours are tired. That way, rad support and mounts can be done in one job.
Thanks. Sounds like I may need to buy that floor jack after all
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 AM

I use to do it that way before. No i use the SAFE T Cap from auto rust tec.. Works like a charm. It jackets over the rusted support..It is thicker and stronger than the original nissan lower support. It is a 2-3 hour job.
https://www.autorust.com/product/nis...ember-art-126/
Old 08-26-2018, 03:22 PM
wxm

Nice write-up. Sorry to bring the old thread up. I might have to do this soon and I noticed the write up that the car was jacked up. I am wondering whether that is necessary.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM

It makes it easier to get the bumper fogs etc. off but no. You will need to support the cross member.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 AM
Father of the 00 VI

The user name desktop . his rad support is the worse i have ever seen. That car should have been scrapped.

And his lack of reading skills,were driving me nuts. Thanks for the bump I needed some late night frustration.

Quick Reply: Lower Radiator Support Replacement Pics