4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maintenance costs getting out of hand

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Maintenance costs getting out of hand

I got my i30 with 122k miles about 1 1/2 year ago. It had a rusty radiator support and the front tires had some wear on the inside but were practically new. I know have 155k miles and seems like the repairs never seem to stop.

It started with clogged EGR tube so I did a 00vi swap (if knew how much I was going to spend I would not have done it though the gain were worth the $)
Then it was

Antenna
O2 sensors
Battery
alternator
Cartman ypipe (flexpipe rusted out)
Struts and hardware
End links
Coil
Control arms
Tie Rods
New tires ( worn out a set in 10k due to suspension problems)
AC line
Knock sensor
Muffler ( did a 2.5" catback exhaust)
Rear rotors
Rear wheel bearings/hub

I am having The front radiator support done this weekend and still need to do front axles because the boots recently ripped (they arent clicking yet around corners) I also bought set spare rims snow tires. With the snow tires and performance parts I over $5k. If don't count snows and performance parts I am right around 3500 and would have to replace muffler/flex joint so I would be inching closer to $4k. from what I read on value I would be lucky to get $2k for it.

The car runs good, interior is near mint and the exterior is in good shape except for fender rust I just wish I could rack up some miles with out problems. Have I address the major issues or is this just nature of having a 90's car?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM

how much are you paying to get the rad support done? mine broke a week ago and i dont know if i want to do it or jus sell the car
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM

I would say its its a matter of conditions the car has been living in. I have my original exhaust with no leaks, and no body rust. Maintenance is a fact of life with any car.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Most of the things you mentioned are guaranteed to fail on every brand of car. Battery, struts, brakes & rotors, exhaust system will never last the life of the car. The milage you have on your car is putting you right at the replacement point for suspension and things like that. If you have work done at a shop, it is going to be very expensive. But in the end, the car is set for another 10 plus years.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

Yah I think maintenance has been excessive with my '97 SE. I've owned it since '00 when it had 37K miles on it, now it's at about 148K. There are various repairs I've had to make that could be considered normal I guess, and right now it needs some front end parts to firm up the steering to get it to drive straight. Also, burned out lamps in the HU buttons and a few oxygen/knock sensors along the way, also replaced the CV axles and timing chain tensioner more out of anticipation than actually needing them yet. Probably have to deal with cleaning the EGR tube next.

But what really burned me was that it needed a rebuilt 5-spd trans and clutch at about 136K....I nursed it along until 146K when there was no more clutch. I mean, I understand the clutch and flywheel, but I don't understand the transmission input shaft bearing and differential bearing problems these have at what I would consider an early stage of life. I don't abuse the tranny or the clutch, I mean, I'm an old guy. I have had Datsuns before with manual trannys that did not need any maintenance even up until I traded them in at 235K (on my King Cab truck for instance). Very disappointing to have to shell out $1,800 for a rebuild so early.

Forgot to mention, also have a little '94 Integra...at 190K miles, never any transmission problems. Just a clutch and CV axles.

Last edited by larso1; 01-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by larso1
Yah I think maintenance has been excessive with my '97 SE. I've owned it since '00 when it had 37K miles on it, now it's at about 148K. There are various repairs I've had to make that could be considered normal I guess, and right now it needs some front end parts to firm up the steering to get it to drive straight. Also, burned out lamps in the HU buttons and a few oxygen/knock sensors along the way, also replaced the CV axles and timing chain tensioner more out of anticipation than actually needing them yet. Probably have to deal with cleaning the EGR tube next.

But what really burned me was that it needed a rebuilt 5-spd trans and clutch at about 136K....I nursed it along until 146K when there was no more clutch. I mean, I understand the clutch and flywheel, but I don't understand the transmission input shaft bearing and differential bearing problems these have at what I would consider an early stage of life. I don't abuse the tranny or the clutch, I mean, I'm an old guy. I have had Datsuns before with manual trannys that did not need any maintenance even up until I traded them in at 235K (on my King Cab truck for instance). Very disappointing to have to shell out $1,800 for a rebuild so early.

Forgot to mention, also have a little '94 Integra...at 190K miles, never any transmission problems. Just a clutch and CV axles.
Back in the 70's I used to drive 80-90K miles a year and drove Datsun 510 wagons. Drove those puppies till the bodies rusted out too bad, over 400K + miles. Had manual trans and other than the clutches, never a transmission problem.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Welcome to the world of owning a used vehicle.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Back in the 70's I used to drive 80-90K miles a year and drove Datsun 510 wagons. Drove those puppies till the bodies rusted out too bad, over 400K + miles. Had manual trans and other than the clutches, never a transmission problem.
cars were much simpler in their operation back then.

off topic but i want a datsun 510 so bad lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 99whitemax
how much are you paying to get the rad support done? mine broke a week ago and i dont know if i want to do it or jus sell the car
KRRZ350 is doing mine for $500, I had local body shop who wanted close to 2000
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you have work done at a shop, it is going to be very expensive. But in the end, the car is set for another 10 plus years.
I did all the work myself except for the exhaust and soon to be radiator support. I can't imagine what the shop bill would be for all that work.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM

sounds like someone didnt do maintenance before you had it.

looks like the common issues have been fixed, and general maintenance (brakes, struts, etc) have been replaced.

Hopefully you will have a good run after your current issues are fixed
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Maintenance on these cars is almost nothing if taken care of...i bought a 5th gen and beat it to holy hell and back and it still ran new at 217k when i sold it...my current 99 however needs an abundance.of emissions parts and front end work....nothing looks to ever have been upkept to prevent early failure... so the used car world sucks sometimes...however once you get the car where it needs to be itll run for a while
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM

lol it gets to a point where you just have to keep going. Imagine having a new car and not being able to do any of the work without have a degree in software engineering? I love my max and dont mind putting money into it but it gets to a point where you have to decide if your next parts/shop bill should go towards a car payment I suppose.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
lol it gets to a point where you just have to keep going. Imagine having a new car and not being able to do any of the work without have a degree in software engineering? I love my max and dont mind putting money into it but it gets to a point where you have to decide if your next parts/shop bill should go towards a car payment I suppose.
Getting Cars Fixed>>>>> Car Payments... Granted The Car Will Always Run With A Note (Except A True P.O.S.) But Not Having To Fork Up 440 A Month For A Car You Don't Own Yet SUCKS
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wish I could do more of the maintenance myself and I feel a little like the OP, in terms of maintenance costs, except I'm paying for most of the stuff to be done by my mechanic (who is also my neighbor and gives me some discounts, luckily). I had to spend probably $2,000 in the last year but much of it was routine stuff that I put off as long as I could, including the rusting lower radiator support, shocks/struts all around (to correct bump/sway), front brakes, front O2 sensors (chickened out of doing myself, with all that rust), knock sensor (did myself), and lower control arms to correct sloppy steering.

Soon, I'll have to do my exhaust (flex pipe rusted to hell), clutch, alternator, and rear brakes. I'm the second owner of my '95 SE and I've kept the body in very good shape (paint is still mint except a rust spot under the spoiler). My interior I've neglected somewhat and recently two rips in my front leather seat happened (probably due to my 6-year-old constantly walking over the front seat to get to the back). All-in-all though, I think the costs have been pretty good compared to making car payments, which I haven't had since 2003.

With cash tight though, I hope the next $1,000 or more I'll spend this year on my remaining big-ticket maintenance items will be it for a couple more years.

I'm also seriously considering taking an adult's auto shop class just so I don't feel like I'll wreck things beyond my ability to deal with them, if I do more than simple stuff. I didn't even want to do my O2 sensors recently because it was rusted to hell on that part (headers I think).
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thaboywonder6588
Getting Cars Fixed>>>>> Car Payments... Granted The Car Will Always Run With A Note (Except A True P.O.S.) But Not Having To Fork Up 440 A Month For A Car You Don't Own Yet SUCKS
yup, I was on the fence for about a year trying to decide whether to sell mine for next to nothing needing the clutch and trans rebuild....even tried to sell it with no luck. So finally bit the bullet and had it done, deciding to keep it for a while. I mean I do like the car and all, leather interior, no squeaks or rattles, power everything, and a very smooth and refined VQ engine that's received multiple awards from the automotive industry over the years......it's a real jewel. Real nice not to have car payments....real nice! The body and everything on the underside has no hint of rust, due mainly to the fact that here in So. CO we have very little snow or rain, and they use sand and gravel on the snow instead of salt. We're really fortunate that way. But I would like to be driving a G37 sport coupe.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by larso1
yup, I was on the fence for about a year trying to decide whether to sell mine for next to nothing needing the clutch and trans rebuild....even tried to sell it with no luck. So finally bit the bullet and had it done, deciding to keep it for a while. I mean I do like the car and all, leather interior, no squeaks or rattles, power everything, and a very smooth and refined VQ engine that's received multiple awards from the automotive industry over the years......it's a real jewel. Real nice not to have car payments....real nice! The body and everything on the underside has no hint of rust, due mainly to the fact that here in So. CO we have very little snow or rain, and they use sand and gravel on the snow instead of salt. We're really fortunate that way. But I would like to be driving a G37 sport coupe.
That's EXACTLY What I'll Have In The Near Future... Has To Be An S Though With Those Sexy 19's