4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inner Tie Rod Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Inner Tie Rod Replacement?

Just came back from the alignment shop... I was advised that there's some play in my left inner tie rod. They aligned it as is but I can go back and get a redo for free when I replace the tie rod. Since the shop doesn't do mechanical work other than alignment, I figure they're telling the truth about the tie rod.

How large a job is this... will there be stuff rusted shut that will make it a long job? (It's 25 degrees outside and windy these days, I gots to plan ahead :-) Should i really be doing inner and outer on both sides with 200K miles on the car? Are there other issues to deal with when you do this? FWIW, they were able to adjust toe, so at least the rods are moving.

On the parts side... Any difference between the left and right parts? Also, I see Moog, Delphi, Raybestos, etc, with prices from varying quite a bit... Moog even has two versions, with one 2x to 3x the cost of the other Moog - any recommendatons for a daily driver that needs to last a couple more years? I want safe, but I don't need "world's best" on a car this old.

Thanks for any input... I need to try to get this done and re-aligned in by Monday, so fire away with any info.

Thanks,

Last edited by BobMax; 01-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM

its a fairly simple job. If you live in an area where rust is a problem, then not so much. An impact drill might be your best friend although its a small area to work in. If you have good tools then do it yourself. Get some Moog products from your local o'reily's and youll be set.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
the alignment shop advised that there's some play in my left inner tie rod... I figure they're telling the truth about the tie rod.
How large a job is this... will there be stuff rusted shut that will make it a long job?
Go here a dl the FSM (Factory Service Manual)
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
It should not be hard to do. If the other side is not loose, and they would have told you, then don't worry about it. Check Rockauto for your part. Get Delphi or Moog if you can. Don't forget a new bellow while it's apart.
Remove the bellows. There is a washer with tabs sandwiched between the inner tie-rod and rack shaft. First separate the inner and outer tie rods, counting the turns so that you can ball park the install. turn the steering wheel to the side you are working on to expose the shaft. Bend the washer tabs out. Place a wrench on the rack shaft and another on the tie rod body, otherwise damage could be done to the rack. Remove the tie rod and replace.

Last edited by asand1; 01-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I did the inner and outer tie rods at the same time. I do believe the parts are the same on either side. I would not want to do the job again, inside a shop or outside in the driveway. There just is not a whole lot of room to work with. You need an inner tie rod tool. I used a Napa branded tool with a longer bolt. I bought all the parts at Rockauto as well, all Moog parts.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ul-batman.html
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM

yea i gotta do my inner tie rods soon ugh
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM

You dont need an inner tie rod tool.....

... If the motor isn't in your car

I got raybestos brand Inners from rockauto for a decent price, check em out. Anywhere else it's 2x as much, unless you go ebay then you get some random chinese made brand which doesn't have that good of reviews from other vehicles.

Also you have some time before you neeed to replace em. Mine have been wiggling around for ages now and I've finally gotten around to fixing them. So save the money and spend it wisely on quality tie rods. You don't do tie rods often.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-16-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's an interesting article: Replacement of steering draft or translation Googl

it is a lot of photos

Last edited by minus; 08-27-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:22 AM

If you want to save time and frustration, I used this tool:

It works great and I did use a breaker bar on the socket wrench to break it loose. You will need to remove the outer tie rod and dust boot.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Inner toe rods

As everyone else has suggested its not that bad if u live somewhere where rust isnt a problem. I live in California so no problems here bought new boots moog new inner and outer tie rods from rocksuto for about $90. I got the tool from autozone because i was just not going to hassle through that. I also did sway bar end links and bushings because i was going to install coilover and wanted to do all suspension but doing the tie rods will be noticeable because i have no play at all now and my suspension is much firmer.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
If you want to save time and frustration, I used this tool:

It works great and I did use a breaker bar on the socket wrench to break it loose. You will need to remove the outer tie rod and dust boot.
You can rent this tool for free from Advance Auto Parts. When you buy inner tie rod, make sure it comes with a lock washer. When I did mine, it did not come with a lock washer, I have to bend the old one and re-use it. It is a not difficult job, just be patient, the difficult part is to get the boot back on and tie down because there isn't much room there.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM

this thread is more than 3 yr old.