4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Official 00VI thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Official 00VI thread

sup org,

post pictures of your installed VI. and discuss all things VI related.

n00bs welcome
all questions and comments are welcome
please no n00b flamage i would like this to be an informative thread

i would like to see other VI's. im going for a completely stock sleeper look and would like some suggestions.
this swap took me and an experienced VI installer 2 days

this is the best modification you can do to a fourth gen by far

first off this is NOT a direct bolt up. alot of modification and fabrication is needed.

the setup i am using is;
00 lower
00VI
00 valvecover
00 rear coils
00 tb
00 egr tube
00 injectors and rail.
NR-G adjustable FPR
99 IACV with an adapter plate
summit rpm switch to trigger the VI

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 06-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Hopefully this thread is not flamed by the newbs... Im gonna keep an eye out in here and see what kind of problems people ran in to with the various setups. Ive personally been sitting on my VI kit for over a year now because I dont want to take the car down for a couple days to do the swap and trouble shoot so the more I know the sooner Ill throw it in!

Cant wait for some pics/vids and input from completed swappers!

Questions for ya! Who did your IACV adapter plate? What did you do to the VI's stock location of the IACV, and what problems happened in your swap?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM

did you do a tune with the 5th gen injectors otherwise your gonna be runnin rich
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
Hopefully this thread is not flamed by the newbs... Im gonna keep an eye out in here and see what kind of problems people ran in to with the various setups. Ive personally been sitting on my VI kit for over a year now because I dont want to take the car down for a couple days to do the swap and trouble shoot so the more I know the sooner Ill throw it in!

Questions for ya! Who did your IACV adapter plate? What did you do to the VI's stock location of the IACV, and what problems happened in your swap?
a good friend of mine sold me the complete swap and helped me install it. he already has three VI installs under his belt so there was really no problems. he got the adapter plate but i have no clue where. the 5th gen iacv was removed and the location was loaded with JBweld. it started up the first time the key was turned, the only "problem" i had was a clamp on the feed line for the fuel rail was snug and not tight so it dripped a little but thats it.
Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
did you do a tune with the 5th gen injectors otherwise your gonna be runnin rich
yeah it runs rich im saving up for a wideband and VAFC NEO

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 03-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
he got the adapter plate but i have no clue where.

i know where
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM

yeah it runs rich im saving up for a wideband and VAFC NEO
so you get whet 12 mpgs now haha, ya ever get your tans fixed? and couldnt i run the 4th gen fuel rains and injectors?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM

I'm getting my swap done by the end of April.
my set up will be:
5th Gen UIM
4th Gen LIM
4th Gen fuel rail/injectors
5th Gen throttle body
4th Gen iacv with adapter plate
EGR delete (already fully deleted from installing headers)

I had custom block off plates made by my friends dad. He only charged me $20.00. 4 plates were made: IACV adapter plate, EGR plate for bottom of manifold, VIAS block off plate and 5th Gen IACV throttle body block off plate.

All I need to install is new gaskets for everything and time to tap the lower intake manifold. Hopefully won't run into any problems.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Ill post pics tomorrow but im running a 00vi with a fourth gen lower port matched filled and re drilled, fifth gen tb with a block plate i made, egr was welded shut, working vias with summit rpm switch at 5000 rpm. Also using fifth gen coils and rear valve cover and iacv with stephenmax adapter. Took me 8 hrs to install including making adapter and block plates.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM

so you get whet 12 mpgs now haha, ya ever get your tans fixed? and couldnt i run the 4th gen fuel rains and injectors?
No, no, yes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM

-00vi
-no idle control.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM

[quote=max_dreamer;8415003]Hopefully this thread is not flamed by the newbs... Im gonna keep an eye out in here and see what kind of problems people ran in to with the various setups. Ive personally been sitting on my VI kit for over a year now because I dont want to take the car down for a couple days to do the swap and trouble shoot so the more I know the sooner Ill throw it in!

quote]

same here ive has mine for a year but i need some assistance with install. anh hopefully can get it done in a day, so im not car less
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM

wow look at all my spelling errors
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM

sup org,

post pictures of your installed VI. and discuss all things VI related.

n00bs welcome
all questions and comments are welcome
please no n00b flamage i would like this to be an informative thread

mine will be up tomorrow.
i would like to see other VI's. im going for a completely stock sleeper look and would like some suggestions.
this swap took me and an experienced VI installer 2 days
my VI and engine bay is more of a rough draft.

this is the best modification you can do to a fourth gen by far

first off this is NOT a direct bolt up. alot of modification and fabrication is needed.

the setup i am using is 5th gen, lower, VI, valvecover, coils, tb, egr tube, injectors and rail.
im using a 4th gen iacv with an adapter plate
im also using a summit rpm switch to trigger the VI rod and an adjustable FPR
When using all 5th gen components it is a bolt on affair with some wire splicing.

Ive gone through a handful of intake setups with the 00vi
SRI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/6875444552/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/6875444820/
5th gen airbox
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/6875436316/
3" length tuned w/ Z32 MAF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/6875436400/
3.5" length tuned w/ hacked up stock MAF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/6906629643/
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM

This is the perfect thread, ive aactually been holding back from going 00vi due to seeing everyones complications with it, i have access to a complete 5th gen engine but wanted to make sure if i use ALL 5th gen stuff if it was direct bolt on,not to mention i know i need rpm switch or similiar...i already have mevi fully setup which i was going to remove and sell once my 00vi was complete and running...so mainly my question is this...if using ALL 5th gen parts,is this a direct bolt on and will it run rich or no?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Yes it will all bolt on. Only wiring is for injectors, modifying iacv plug, and whatever you're using to control the vias. Then there is using the proper fuel damper and a fuel rail adapter, hooking up fuel lines, evap, brake booster, and vacuum lines.

Yes it will run rich. Many see an AFR of 10-11 at WOT without a tune on de-k injectors.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM

00vi Setup
5th gen UIM
4th gen drilled and filled lower w/ stock injectors
Stephen max iacv adapter
5th gen tb with custom iacv block
Running vias with summit switch @ 5000rpms

Pics:
PR CAI

Short Ram

Hybrid( cut bigger hole in inner fender and removed non existent fogs for cool air source)

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM

does the hybrid feel any different than the PR one?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Yes it will all bolt on. Only wiring is for injectors, modifying iacv plug, and whatever you're using to control the vias. Then there is using the proper fuel damper and a fuel rail adapter, hooking up fuel lines, evap, brake booster, and vacuum lines.

Yes it will run rich. Many see an AFR of 10-11 at WOT without a tune on de-k injectors.
I should be golden...i got a harland switch running the mevi setup.. wiring should be simple cut splice rewrap and whatnot...time to rip apart a dek top end soon i think
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
does the hybrid feel any different than the PR one?
Honestly other than sound...I dont notice to much. I enjoy the comfort of knowing i wont suck up any water (even though i had an AEM bypass filter on it)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM

I put my old set up on maxed out 99's car with him - the JWT ecu and the AFC neo I had on mine. I have done a few swaps and I would go with all 5g parts but all depends how deep you want to go with it or how much you want to spend. If you choose to run the 5g injectors you will have to tune but it's easier to get other top fed injectors latter on if in the future if you need bigger ones. + I know a 00VI, Jim wolf ecu, AFC neo and wide band was awesome and worked well and any other mods I added i was able to tune for. But,if your olny looking for 15 to 20hp's than olny do the upper if you want the most bang for your buck go for the hole swap + tune.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM

I used all 5th gen components pretty much.

5th gen Valve Cover
5th gen Coil Packs
5th gen Fuel Rail and Injectors
5th gen Throttle Body and IACV
5th gen Lower Intake Manifold
Power Rod deleted
Swirl Valves deleted

As for modifications and fabrication I had to break off some pieces from my EGR system vacuum galleries for it to fit flush.

I was running a EGR block off plate, with the EGR tube deleted in the system.

Had it untuned since I ran outta funds, and have now since taken it off and returned to stock setup just cause of gas money that was being poured down the drain.

Last edited by SandyMax96; 03-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Here's a link with tons of info on the swap including multiple ways of doing it for anyone who is interested http://tatanko.boredmder.com/ just click on "00VI Swap" on the left.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Name:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  73.5 KB

1-2 gear run.

Ill be installing one on my newest maxima. This will be my 3rd time doing this. I could probably do this swap with my eyes closed. But this time im going to try to make everything look nice and pretty.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea

1-2 gear run.

Ill be installing one on my newest maxima. This will be my 3rd time doing this. I could probably do this swap with my eyes closed. But this time im going to try to make everything look nice and pretty.
yo korea man, u stick or auto?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM

how much does this usualy cost for the 00vi, and all the other 5th gen parts? jw if it would be worth throwing money into
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM

I have

5th gen UIM, 4th gen LIM, 5th gen throttle body and IACV, EGR block, 5th gen valve cover. I'll get some pics up later but it ain't gonna look pretty. lol
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
yo korea man, u stick or auto?
5speed
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dsquared97maxse
how much does this usualy cost for the 00vi, and all the other 5th gen parts? jw if it would be worth throwing money into
250-400 depends on where you source all the parts. Sometimes you can get a whole de-k for cheap. My first one I bought the whole de-k for 250. If a member is selling though id expect to pay atleast 300. But you can also include a rpm switch into that price or some kind of electronic to switch over the VI
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
250-400 depends on where you source all the parts. Sometimes you can get a whole de-k for cheap. My first one I bought the whole de-k for 250. If a member is selling though id expect to pay atleast 300. But you can also include a rpm switch into that price or some kind of electronic to switch over the VI
Luck is also a factor. I've seriously spent less than $100.00 for my entire set up.
I found 90% of my parts from a 2000 Maxima in a junkyard. Walked out with everything for less than $70.00. Block off plates cost me $20.00. All I need to finish it is new gaskets for TB and the upper manifold which should be less than $15.00.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Kico
I put my old set up on maxed out 99's car with him - the JWT ecu and the AFC neo I had on mine. I have done a few swaps and I would go with all 5g parts but all depends how deep you want to go with it or how much you want to spend. If you choose to run the 5g injectors you will have to tune but it's easier to get other top fed injectors latter on if in the future if you need bigger ones. + I know a 00VI, Jim wolf ecu, AFC neo and wide band was awesome and worked well and any other mods I added i was able to tune for. But,if your olny looking for 15 to 20hp's than olny do the upper if you want the most bang for your buck go for the hole swap + tune.
So you're saying that an OOVI with all 5th gen parts can produce more power than an 00VI with 4th gen injectors? This, of course assuming NA?

Honestly, I can see more power, but alot more? Both engines are still 3.0 and benefit from the same dynamic supercharging to get the air in. The 5th gen injectors run richer so the potential of more power is there, but that's potential power. How that is achieved NA

Of course if sometime in the future if I were to eventually go turbo or SC, then the 5th gen injectors would be required at minimum, instead of optional.

I have an 00VI waiting to install as well.

DW
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

How that is achieved NA

DW
Removing fuel will bump the timing when using a afc. Though it will be a minumal gain it's still there
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
So you're saying that an OOVI with all 5th gen parts can produce more power than an 00VI with 4th gen injectors? This, of course assuming NA?

Honestly, I can see more power, but alot more? Both engines are still 3.0 and benefit from the same dynamic supercharging to get the air in. The 5th gen injectors run richer so the potential of more power is there, but that's potential power. How that is achieved NA

Of course if sometime in the future if I were to eventually go turbo or SC, then the 5th gen injectors would be required at minimum, instead of optional.

I have an 00VI waiting to install as well.

DW
I have done the swap on a 4g 5speed with 4g injectors and tuned it a little and he had the same mods as me a jim wolf ecu, vafc,headers and full exhaust,wide band, 255lph fuel pump and fpr. With the same mods and 5g injectors mine had more power and I had it tuned at wot @ 12.7 13.3. but like I said if your only looking for 15 to 20 hp's than do only put the upper and a rpm switch. Also things like a ecu with and extended rev, and full exhausts, wide band, and a vafc will help tune for the exchange at 5grand and you can lean out the mixture or add and the extended rev will help you use your new power band longer, and whats the point of taking in more air if the car dose not have a more free flowing exhaust and so if you want to spend more money do the swap like I did. I know from experience with the mods listed and 5g injectors it was better for me and easier than filling mocking up and tapping the 4g LIM I'd rather sadder and tune. Whats keeping you from installing your 00VI?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 AM

I had a hard time finding this so I will repost this for the peeps that need bolts for their VI

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365755
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 AM

404 notfound
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Kico
I have done the swap on a 4g 5speed with 4g injectors and tuned it a little and he had the same mods as me a jim wolf ecu, vafc,headers and full exhaust,wide band, 255lph fuel pump and fpr. With the same mods and 5g injectors mine had more power and I had it tuned at wot @ 12.7 13.3. but like I said if your only looking for 15 to 20 hp's than do only put the upper and a rpm switch. Also things like a ecu with and extended rev, and full exhausts, wide band, and a vafc will help tune for the exchange at 5grand and you can lean out the mixture or add and the extended rev will help you use your new power band longer, and whats the point of taking in more air if the car dose not have a more free flowing exhaust and so if you want to spend more money do the swap like I did. I know from experience with the mods listed and 5g injectors it was better for me and easier than filling mocking up and tapping the 4g LIM I'd rather sadder and tune. Whats keeping you from installing your 00VI?
You're talking about all those other mods + 00VI. Strictly speaking, 00VI with 4th gen injectors, vs 00VI with 5th gen injectors. NA with tuning. How much is the difference?

I do agree with you in that if I were to go for all those other mods and perhaps SC or turbo, I'd definitely go with the 5th gen injectors.

DW
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM

so with a full 5g 00vi swap no 4g parts used with intake exhaust ypipe lightweight flywheel and a tune and wideband what kind of gains are expected? im running a MEVI right now and been debating pulling it and doing this instead....
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM

20-25 horse to the wheels and evenly trough the whole powerband All the way to redline
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM

20-25 horse to the wheels and evenly trough the whole powerband All the way to redline
I would think you'd see more gains then 20-25hp with all those mods. With headers, ypipe, test pipe and 3" catback with intake I've probably gained around 20hp.

The stock A33 comes stock with over 220hp which is 30 more than the VQ30DE. I would expect that with all 5th gen 00VI parts it would be pretty damn close to the 25-30hp gain alone.

I will be able to tell everyone for sure this summer. I plan to dyno my car and get some before and after readouts.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Ahh yes I remember my 00VI days. Goodluck everyone and nice to see people still doing these.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Ahh yes I remember my 00VI days. Goodluck everyone and nice to see people still doing these.
I remember your swap thats when I first met yall. AJ link your thread for the noobs.

Quick Reply: Official 00VI thread