4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Maxima pulling to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM

97 Maxima pulling to the right.

Hi,I got new tires and alignment. I rotated the tires 6000k later now the car is pulling to the right. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your alignment got out of whack. Could be worn components, or you hit something.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM

There did you check your tire pressure? Sometimes low pressure causes a pull. Also, a worn out wheel bearing could be the problem.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Also check ur control arms
Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 PM

How much of a pull is it? A slight drift? Does it immediately dart in that direction the instant you take your hand off the wheel?

Most cars will do a slight pull to the right due to how roads are constructed. There is a crown in the middle which slopes down, and your car will follow that.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 PM

if it started pulling immediately AFTER rotating the tires, that's your clue as to what's up.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

as stated above it could be the tire pressure since it wasnt pulling before you rotated the tires. If the pressure is fine I would switch them back to see if it still pulls before replacing anything or the allignment.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bassmann
Hi,I got new tires and alignment. I rotated the tires 6000k later now the car is pulling to the right. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks for your help.
get used to it, I got totally ****ED because of this. ****ing TownFair tire sucks, they legit told me my front end was too worn or bent and they couldn't Align it more? lol total bs. I know how an alignment works, If you can get it in Spec like say Toe, you could probably slightly put it out of spec to compensate for pulling, but they told me to go kick rocks and my BRAND NEW Michelin pilots are down to 50% in less than a year and a half... ouch right? The rears are still at 80%+

so yeah in short, my Toe said it was in spec on the sheet but clearly I had something bent or bad and it was still pulling and the guy was a ****head and wouldn't fix it. I can't stand the pulling it drives me insane.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
get used to it, I got totally ****ED because of this. ****ing TownFair tire sucks, they legit told me my front end was too worn or bent and they couldn't Align it more? lol total bs. I know how an alignment works, If you can get it in Spec like say Toe, you could probably slightly put it out of spec to compensate for pulling, but they told me to go kick rocks and my BRAND NEW Michelin pilots are down to 50% in less than a year and a half... ouch right? The rears are still at 80%+

so yeah in short, my Toe said it was in spec on the sheet but clearly I had something bent or bad and it was still pulling and the guy was a ****head and wouldn't fix it. I can't stand the pulling it drives me insane.
Struts, control arms, and other components can be bent, causing the car not to go into spec. So, yes having bent parts can cause you car to not be aligned.

Toe usually will not cause a pull. When toe is out, your steering wheel is off center most often. When shops perform an alignment, they should print out a sheet showing how it turned out. Ask for the sheet.

As for the OP. I would take it on the highway and see what happens. Highways usually have less of a crown, so it should pull less if that is the issue.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 AM

For the last couple of weeks, ive been dealing with this problem on my max. Ive had many alignments, rotated tires and doesnt fix the problem. My max pulls excessively to the left and sometimes even the right. I need to get this fixed asap cause i have new tires. It seems like if i turn right it pulls right, turn left it pulls left. Steering wheel is off center when driving straight. There is a small amount of play the in the steering wheel when driving, I can go on and on. Ive had my rack checked by a few shops and said it looked good. Ive already changed the bushing and boots on it. Im guessing maybe it could be the tie rods, balljoints, wheel bearings, etc. What you guys think? As of now, my max is a nightmare to drive.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by N3SQV
Struts, control arms, and other components can be bent, causing the car not to go into spec. So, yes having bent parts can cause you car to not be aligned.

Toe usually will not cause a pull. When toe is out, your steering wheel is off center most often. When shops perform an alignment, they should print out a sheet showing how it turned out. Ask for the sheet.

As for the OP. I would take it on the highway and see what happens. Highways usually have less of a crown, so it should pull less if that is the issue.
yes, I know this. lol I went to school for it, but you can always slightly put something out of spec to compensate if need be. I've seen it done. That is what I was getting at. Everything was at green in their sheets and my car was still pulling to the left and I have to say when a car pulls, 90% of the time it is Toe.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaRated
Also check ur control arms
I had the same symptom a few months ago along with quickly wearing tires, and a bushing was out. Replaced the entire control arm myself. Part was $135 from O'reilly and you can rent a ball joint fork from them (its basically free to rent stuff since you get your money back when you take the tool back). If you plan on doing it yourself, and have never done it before, I recommend having someone help you. Very tedious work, but not hard work.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
yes, I know this. lol I went to school for it, but you can always slightly put something out of spec to compensate if need be. and I have to say when a car pulls, 90% of the time it is Toe.
Sure, you went to school for it, but did you study and get good grades or smoke reefer and party. You can set your alignment specs to whatever you want, but with a loose front end it wont hold those settings. With toe both tires are going to be at equal and opposite angles, so it WILL NOT pull. Camber will.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Wow i see a lot of u guys have the same issue looking foward of the out come of your problem
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

Fatboy you hit the nail on the head. I have this same exact issue with my 99 Maxima GLE. I just replaced the front lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods on both sides, as well as struts all the way around the car, and it pulls significantly to the right. Steering wheel is also off center. When I took it to the Nissan dealership for an alignment, they kept it for 3 days and still couldn't get it within spec. They even tried a camber kit on the front, ad that got it closer, but right side is still in yellow according to their printout. Swapping tires does not make any difference.
This is ridiculous, I've read the same thing from about 5 other posters on here who have started similar threads on this issue, and no one has an answer. I gave up on the dealership figuring it out, and took it to Midas today. Guy there said it was being caused by a bad right front wheel bearing (which I DO agree I have a bad bearing.) But I never thought a bad wheel bearing would cause a pull or steering to be off center.

Last edited by sb001; 04-25-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 PM

you do realize that this thread is almost 4 years old, right?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by max ride 41
you do realize that this thread is almost 4 years old, right?
So? What does that have to do with anything?

If it's the same problem what does it matter when a thread was started about it? Thread gets bumped right? You obviously saw it.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 AM

i saw that this is almost 4 years old, bumping old threads is great but sometimes it's better to get a fresh perspective on things and start a new one. and also some of the op might not be members anymore. gl
Old 04-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Sorry I thought there was a policy that you can't start a new thread if you are a new member with only a few posts (which I am.)

At any rate all I'm looking for is someone with this issue to come back and post what the solution was. I haven't seen anything like that, it would sure be nice info.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense because you can start a new thread about an issue & they'll say "Did you use the search button?" or some sh*t like that. Then, if you bump an old thread with some fresh info, you get "You realize this thread is (Insert years here) old, right?"

I'm not trying to complain, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense most of the time but that's most forums imo. But I still love the .org. Plenty of info, just make sure to know the rules lol.....
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM
JvG

Personally, I see nothing wrong with referencing older threads if they have pertinent information which might apply to a current situation. Most of the mechanical and electrical issues have been dealt with, by someone, perhaps years ago.
I use the search function a lot.

What bothers me are the same questions being asked again, over and over, while the information is already out there.

What most people really need is a reasonable diagnosis of an issue, then being told where to look.