4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High Pitched Squeaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

High Pitched Squeaking Noise

Hey guys, I've noticed a very high pitched squeaking noise coming from my car and I can't seem to find out what is causing it. I tried searching, but the first 5 pages showed nothing so I decided to create a new thread. The squeaking noise usually only occurs once the car has been driven for at least a few minutes (does not happen at start-up.) Once the car has been on for a few mins, the squeaking usually starts. It only happens when the car is idling in either drive or reverse. As soon as you give it any gas, it will stop and only start back once the cars goes back to idle. We put the car in drive and just let it run for around 10 mins. We noticed that the squeaking noise will stop about a minute or so before the fan stops and then it will start squealing a few mins before the fan kicks back on. It sounds similar to a vacuum leak, but we aren't certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Squeaks but it sounds like a vacuum leak? Hmm....what's the condition of the power steering belt?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM

To rule out your belts being the culprit, grab some water in a bottle and while the squeaking is happening, pour the water directly on the belts. If the squeaking goes away, time to replace your belts.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM

take the main belt off and start the car.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 AM

while its squeeking- turn your wheel.- does it stop? =power steering belt
...im thinking its one of your belts-
they are cheap to buy, even right from the nissan dealer
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. The power steering belt hasn't been changed since I've owned the car, which has been almost 3 years. Before that, I don't know if he'd ever changed it or not. We were planning on taking the belt off (just like Snypa said) but we ran out of time because I had to be at work that afternoon. I think the water bottle trick might be a good way to test it though. I'll try that and billmus86's idea to run out the power steering belt ASAP. If it still doesn't stop, I'll probably take the belt off and see what happens then. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM

if youre going to take it off, just buy a new one haha dont do the same work twice..
i think it is like 20 bucks from the dealer for a new belt.. it was about 45 i think for both. ..ya know- might as well just change em and then you will be sure. -esp since youre thinking of just taking it off
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

High Pitched squeal

Originally Posted by 78Formula
Hey guys, I've noticed a very high pitched squeaking noise coming from my car and I can't seem to find out what is causing it. I tried searching, but the first 5 pages showed nothing so I decided to create a new thread. The squeaking noise usually only occurs once the car has been driven for at least a few minutes (does not happen at start-up.) Once the car has been on for a few mins, the squeaking usually starts. It only happens when the car is idling in either drive or reverse. As soon as you give it any gas, it will stop and only start back once the cars goes back to idle. We put the car in drive and just let it run for around 10 mins. We noticed that the squeaking noise will stop about a minute or so before the fan stops and then it will start squealing a few mins before the fan kicks back on. It sounds similar to a vacuum leak, but we aren't certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I have the exact same symptoms on my 1996 Maxima. I changed the belts and idler and still get the sound. It starts only after the Maxima warms up and sounds like it is coming from the power steering pump. The sound goes away once the rpm goes above idle. In the previous responses in the forum, no one seemed to identify the cause. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SteveSample
I have the exact same symptoms on my 1996 Maxima. I changed the belts and idler and still get the sound. It starts only after the Maxima warms up and sounds like it is coming from the power steering pump. The sound goes away once the rpm goes above idle. In the previous responses in the forum, no one seemed to identify the cause. Can anyone help? Thanks
Could be a few things actually. I'll list them in order of likelehood IMO.

Tensioner pulley
Alternator pulley
AC compressor bearing
PS pulley and/or PS pump is beginning to fail

Also, check your crank pulley to see if the rubber is deteriorating. Look at the crank pulley as your car is idling to see if it 'wobbles' or if it spins true. If it's wobbling, it's throwing off the alignment of the belt.

Other things you can do...
Remove belt and spin pulleys. Listen and feel, you may be able to determine the culprit this way.
With belt on and car running, take a very long skinny tube and put it to your ear and touch a pulley or get really close to it (but be careful!). Whoever whines or makes the most high pitched noise is your culprit.