4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing Chain Clatter (Tensioner) or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Timing Chain Clatter (Tensioner) or Something Else?

Within the last week or so (maybe a little longer) I've noticed what I'm calling a vibration (ish) type of noise emanating from the passenger side/front of my motor ('99 Maxima, completely stock VQ30).

I searched here and read threads related to a failing/worn chain tensioner. I also searched on the web and YouTube and listened to videos related to this failure (chain tensioner).

I'm not sure if it's the YouTube vids sound quality or what but all of the videos which are apparently examples of a failing chain tensioner sound very similar to lifter noise ... my noise is not that.

But ... If I were to post up or link a video of my motor would anyone here be able to tell if they feel my issue is actually a chain tensioner failure or a pulley bearing or something else?

Last edited by Turbobink; 12-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM

The chain tensioners have plastic parts that can wear out and cause clattering. I have an issue with one of mine clattering a little bit right now. They aren't cheap to have replaced either which is why mine haven't been done.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jfactor
The chain tensioners have plastic parts that can wear out and cause clattering. I have an issue with one of mine clattering a little bit right now. They aren't cheap to have replaced either which is why mine haven't been done.
Fully understood. Just not certain that that's what it is.

I was hoping that someone with some familiarity/experience with this issue could definitively say yes timing chain tensioner or not timing chain tensioner.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM

It's not the tensioner. Replacing it usually won't do anything. It's the plastic guides that wear out and cause a of noise. Mine is noisy but it runs good. Im pretty sure you have to remove the timing cover(s) to change it.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 AM

But what exactly do worn plastic chain tensioner guides sound like as opposed to a failing crank pulley or belt tensioner or AC compressor pulley bearing?

Other than removing the serpinitine belt and checking for wobble in all the pulleys I'm not certain how I firmly determine that it's the chain tensioner guides.

Can this be determined through simple inspection ... i.e. removal of the rear inspection plate?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
But what exactly do worn plastic chain tensioner guides sound like as opposed to a failing crank pulley or belt tensioner or AC compressor pulley bearing? Other than removing the serpinitine belt and checking for wobble in all the pulleys I'm not certain how I firmly determine that it's the chain tensioner guides. Can this be determined through simple inspection ... i.e. removal of the rear inspection plate?
Automotive stethoscope with help with the pulleys. I'm not exactly sure how to diagnose the guides.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LTXMitch
It's not the tensioner. Replacing it usually won't do anything. It's the plastic guides that wear out and cause a of noise. Mine is noisy but it runs good. Im pretty sure you have to remove the timing cover(s) to change it.
I know you can get to one without removing the timing cover. I found out when I had my water pump replaced that there is a small removable panel on the upper left of the timing cover that gives you access to one of the tensioners. That one can for sure be removed without removing the timing cover.

While we're on the topic of timing in this thread, Rockauto currently has 2 timing kits for the 4th gen for about 200 bucks. One only comes with the chains and tensioners, the other comes with chains, tensioners and sprockets. I figured since the timing cover has to come off to replace the tensioners I might as well have it all done. How much does the labor typically cost on average?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned

I know you can get to one without removing the timing cover. I found out when I had my water pump replaced that there is a small removable panel on the upper left of the timing cover that gives you access to one of the tensioners. That one can for sure be removed without removing the timing cover.

While we're on the topic of timing in this thread, Rockauto currently has 2 timing kits for the 4th gen for about 200 bucks. One only comes with the chains and tensioners, the other comes with chains, tensioners and sprockets. I figured since the timing cover has to come off to replace the tensioners I might as well have it all done. How much does the labor typically cost on average?
Ive seen up to and even more than 800.....but if you know some one??????

Most will take the motor out to do it..

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 12-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Chain, tensioner and guide may be change with Motor in vehicle. Sprockets most like not
Old 12-19-2013, 05:02 AM

How much does the labor typically cost on average?
Through my searches on this topic I've read that a shop repair will likely cost somewhere between $1300.00 and $2,000.00. That includes parts and labor.

Based on this I've asked my Nissan guru what he charges for a 3.5 swap ... just in case.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 AM

$2000 is usually the labor to replace the motor. So If I were to pay someone that much it would be for a motor not a timing chain. I usually do all my own work.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by LTXMitch
$2000 is usually the labor to replace the motor. So If I were to pay someone that much it would be for a motor not a timing chain. I usually do all my own work.
Just sayin ... that's a number range I found.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Just sayin ... that's a number range I found.
I'm not sure. But I think I read somewhere that a Nissan guy charges $3,000 for 3.5 swap
Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM

lookie here op basically the same set up as a 3.0
Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Yeah I hear ya ...

But if this turns out to be a timing set issue and an expensive fix and if a 3.5 swap becomes a real and plausible possibility, upgrading to a 59K mile 3.5 or a rebuilt 3.5 will nicely address the issue.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:08 AM

That video is interesting and good to know. That guide issue is not on the 4th gens though but the problem I have studied is oil pressure. Since replacing my tensioner and guide to the updated version, I do not hear a single thing during the summer with no oil leaks at all. During the winter, I can hear it for less than a second when starting up. I did not use the tensioner gasket but will try it on my other 4th gen this upcoming summer.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
That video is interesting and good to know. That guide issue is not on the 4th gens though but the problem I have studied is oil pressure. Since replacing my tensioner and guide to the updated version, I do not hear a single thing during the summer with no oil leaks at all. During the winter, I can hear it for less than a second when starting up. I did not use the tensioner gasket but will try it on my other 4th gen this upcoming summer.
2 o-rings on inner timing cover fail and cause weak tensioner pressure. What usually makes the. Noise I hear is usually the worn out guides. Most of the time replacing the tensioner doesn't do anything.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had to replace all my timing chain tensioners at 70K as they were all trashed.

I demanded that only Nissan parts were used and it came out to $1,600 - Thanks previous owner!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 PM
100% chingon

Mine was making a sort of droning sound and my water pump had just begun to leak, so I had this done and I was around for some of the time watching. Basically you take the weight of the motor on a trolley jack, disconnect the mounts, jack the timing chain side into the air and then you can just about access all the bolts that hold the TC cover on. My mechanic told me it was a ***** of a job in terms of the time required.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM

I'm actually not certain it's not an AC compressor or PS pump coming apart.

I've listened incessantly, intently and obsessively.

It just doesn't sound like the typical TC tensioner I hear on the videos and sound clips I've found ... it more grumbly.

I got with my Nissan magician. He's gonna give a listen this week.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM

remove all your drive belts and run it and listen!