4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 PM

So tomorrow I'm taking her to Pep Boys and getting an OIL Change.

Also... since I put Bar's Leak in a few months ago (and I saw a bunch of the brown dust sticking to the sides of my funnel when I burped her tonight) I was thinking about getting a coolant flush done as well. I assume this will get rid of most of the Bar's Leak that may be floating around in the system? Thoughts on the flush?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Link still isn't working for me, but I'm also mobile. I'll take a look when I get home.

Is it just on your computer, or is it hosted on the net.

Sent from my XT1060 using Maxima
Old 12-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Last edited by asand1; 12-11-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow. So the impeller blades completely broke off from the pump assembly? Hope you had your cooling system flushed real good. That brown stuff is all up inside your cooling system.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 PM

You can diy the flush. Drain and fill half a dozen times with distilled water ($0.99/gallon). After the last drain, fill the radiator with straight antifreeze for a final solution of 50/50.

I like the prestone all makes all models.

Sent from my XT1060 using Maxima
Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Now I dont want to scare you, but I would be vigilant. Keep your eyes and ears open for head gasket problems after all the overheating and listen for chain tensioner noise because there was a lot of force at work to separate the shaft and impeller like that.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Glad you got her fixed! Good job.

Since you live in a very cold climate, make sure you have at least 50% coolant in the system. Even 75% would be ok this time of year.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:36 AM

Hey thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Letting us know the outcome helps other owners in the future.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Glad you got it solved!

Water alone in a cooling system will no doubt freeze up in low temperatures. That's the purpose of using at least 50% antifreeze.

As all others mentioned flush out that cooling system.

Would like to know what caused that pump to corrode. Were you filling your system with distilled or tap water?

Last edited by jholley; 12-12-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 AM

A few months ago I had a pinhole leak between the engine and windshield. You couldn't even see exactly where it was coming from and my mechanic lives 45 minutes away and he was tied up. I kept adding tap water almost every day for a few weeks. I didn't want to add antifreeze cause it was just going to leak out anyway and I would have spent hundreds of dollars on antifreeze.

While I had the pinhole leak I would get some hot heat, then it would go cool, then hot again, then warm, etc...

I put Bar's Leak in and a couple days later the pinhole leak was fixed. I go to Pep Boys and buy 50/50. I planned on putting it in the next day. THAT night it was the coldest night/morning of the season (this was just a few week ago.) When I went to start car in morning she made a loud grinding noise when I turned the key. She would not start. I tried a few more times and eventually killed the battery. When I jumped her she started right up and no noise when I turned her over. I thought it was very odd but the noise was gone. I think the Water Pump separated when I was turning her over (just a hunch.) Anyway from that point on I had to drive with the Radiator Cap off if I wanted to go anywhere cause she would overheat quickly with Rad Cap ON.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:45 AM

Ok Friday I went to Pep Boys to get my oil changed (I'm going to do the flush myself.) They almost didn't want to do the oil change because they saw oil leaking from the bottom of the car (where oil usually leaks.) They showed me and I saw oil and antifreeze slowly dripping from the bottom. I mean very slowly - maybe 3 drops in 4 minutes.

They didn't want to change the oil fearing the engine would seize right after they changed the oil. They didn't want to be responsible if something happened. I finally convinced them to just do it. They did and documented what they saw just in case. Now it's Pep Boys so I don't know what they they, how much, etc...

Anyway Friday I had to make a long drive 90 miles away and come home Sunday morning (another 90 miles.) I was nervous cause she just got "fixed."

The heat and temp gauge were perfect... needle just below halfway the whole time... No fluctuation, etc... Th heat worked perfect.

I don't know if I did any damage while I was driving her during her issues but she drives great now. She has 182k on her. and she's a 98.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
JvG

Your "pinhole leak" could be from a heater hose. The "bars leak" might have sealed the leak. For a little while.
If you really do have a bad hose it will start to leak again. You have still not fixed the original issue. Replace the hoses. You will have two heater hoses and also a smaller hose that attaches to the upper intake manifold and a small pipe under that somewhere.

Please replace the leaky hose NOW.
I do not want you to have the same issues again.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 PM

Advice noted.

Ok I spoke too soon... This morning I had another 35 mile drive - stayed at my destination for about 3 hours - and then drove home another 35 miles. On the drive back (about 10 miles in to the drive) I was in bumper to bumper traffic. While I was stopping and starting I saw the needle start to get high. I blasted the heat, the needle lowered, but then went back up again shortly after. I pulled over and let her cool down for about 20 minutes. I took rad cap off and put water in. The Radiator took about half a bottle of water I had in an Antifreeze bottle. I put cap back on, started her up, and she was fine. I drove for about another hour (I had to make some stops.). She was fine. I have about 40% antifreeze in right now.

I think the slow leak (coming from the bottom) I was talking about at Pep Boys, leaked enough to have a negative effect.

The pinhole hose leak is fine still.

With that said... Did I do some damage to the engine while all this stuff was going on these past few weeks... Driving with cap off, needles fluctuating a lot during the time, overheating, etc...?

At most I need this car for about 9 months (and 10k worth of miles.). I'm not going to keep it forever.

My next car will be much newer. I just need her patched up. I have a decent size dent on my driver side rear. Aesthetically she's not good on the outside. Plus I have front bearing/axle issues.

I know you guys are against stop leak but instead of fixing the problem and spending more money that I want to, do you think engine block leak stuff could help? I think I may have done some damage to my head gasket...
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Well, you've replaced the radiator cap, thermostat, and water pump. Finish the job off with some new radiator hoses (if that's the source of the leak). Adding half a bottle of water is quit a bit...I think your leak may be bigger than you think.

As long as you never saw smoke, I doubt your engine has occurred damage. I'd still pass on adding more engine block stuff. Fix the leak and you should be good for a very long time.

Where exactly is the the source of the leak? Finding the source of the leak should be easy, and the repair should be easy and cheap too.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Radiator and Rad hoses are in great shape... I meant to say the leak is coming from the bottom of the engine.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by captchaos
Radiator and Rad hoses are in great shape... I meant to say the leak is coming from the bottom of the engine.
Check the small coolant hose at the back of the manifold right above and next to the EGR. Check the hard coolant pipes and one small hose near the front valve cover...My hunch says it's leaking from somewhere high, and then runs down to the bottom of the engine where it collects and falls off.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
JvG

Wizard .... I'm thinking the same thing. A pinhole leak in a cheap hose is the original cause of all these problems. The original poster still needs to identify and replace the cheap hose.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 AM

*****WATER PUMP***** solved this problem

Thank you sir for anyone who may run into this problem later on.

Enjoy your ride, many more to go
Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
*****WATER PUMP***** solved this problem Thank you sir for anyone who may run into this problem later on. Enjoy your ride, many more to go
Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
JvG

Josh....

The root cause is NOT the water pump. It is STILL A HOSE.
The hose is still leaking. The owner is adding water again. He is not fixing the hose. So the coolant will freeze again. This might take out the new water pump. PLEASE FIX THE HOSE.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM

Here's one of the few car clubs I've seen that works to perform a RCA.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_80.htm
Old 12-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Guys the hose that HAD the pinhole leak is not leaking again. If I snapped my fingers and the hose (that HAD the pinhole leak) was fixed now it still would not fix my current issue.

I think all the stress I put on the engine, while all this was going on, caused a new leak.

JOSHG IS correct based on the symptoms I was having... The Water Pump was the part that needed to be replaced because of.... No heat - blows cold air, overheating fast with cap on, can drive longer with cap off, burping system did not work, upper rad hose warm/hot when on, lower hose cool/cold when on, rad fans work, thermostat opens up, etc...

Now did I also suffer another issue along the way? Yes but the point is the water pump fixed the main issue.

If a newbie had the same symptoms I had (above) it's probably going to be the water pump and I think that's the point.

You guys have been awesome.

Last edited by captchaos; 12-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 AM

Pretty simple, find new leak> fix it.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Captain Chaos, any update?