4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Overheating Hissing

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Overheating Hissing

I searched the forums for my problem and I could not find anything...

Here is my problem. Yesterday I was driving and saw my temp gauge go up close to the danger zone so I pulled over. When I pulled over I heard a hissing sound coming from under the hood. I popped the hood (with car still on) and there was a loud hissing sound coming from just right of the engine block and down a bit. I didn't want to get my face too close in case something exploded.

I turned the car off and the same hissing sound. I also got on my knees and fluid was dripping from the middle Not from the radiator. I let her cool, took off the radiator cap, and filled with water (I keep extra in my trunk.) I was able to get to work. The hissing sound subsided as the car cooled down.

I refilled before I left work to go home. I got almost home and had to add more water. It's an 8 mile drive in stop and go.

I added more water to get to work today.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? I replaced the radiator a year ago and the radiator seems fine.

The AC and heat work. It just seems like when the fluid gets low the temp gauge goes up, I pull over, let cool, add more water, drive until it happens again.

It sounds like there is a hole in a hose somewhere but I can't tell where it's coming from.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM

The right side of the car is the passenger side. Is this the side you are talking about?

On the right side you have the water pump and the lower radiator hose. On the left side back along the firewall you have hoses for the IACV.

Then you have the heater hoses. One is on the driver's side and one is on the passenger side.

You are going to have to look. Just make sure that the coolant is not spraying out so you don't get burned.

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-13-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 AM

http://www.cardomain.com/member/captchaos145/#

OK then I mean the left side (driver's side.) The hissing/smoke is coming from the left & back/middle just behind the engine block (towards the windshield.) My 2 fingers are pointing at the spots.

It appears to be coming from down a bit too but I can't see where.

Here is a pic - sorry it's sideways!

If I had to guess it seems like a hose busted but I can't tell...

Last edited by captchaos; 08-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 AM

The right side of the car is the passenger side. Is this the side you are talking about?

On the right side you have the water pump and the lower radiator hose. On the left side back along the firewall you have hoses for the IACV.

Then you have the heater hoses. One is on the driver's side and one is on the passenger side.

You are going to have to look. Just make sure that the coolant is not spraying out so you don't get burned.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 AM

I don't know if you posted twice by mistake. I included a pic for you. My fingers are pointing at it.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Obviously a coolant line. I couldn't see the pics. Could either be the line to the thermostat or line to the heater core. If it's not just a loose clamp or t fitting find the leak and replace the hose.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

The thermostat is on the passenger side, so that is not it. It could be one of the small hoses that go to the IACV (Intake Air Control Valve). the hose starts behind the intake manifold next to the firewall. You can feel it but it is very difficult to get to.

When the engine is cold see if you can feel it and if it is wet.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Gotcha. From what I see that sounds right. And yes it does seem hard to get to. It's cramped in that area.

I will follow up. Thanks buddy!!!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
JvG

I replaced all my hoses last year, including the ones that attach to the TB.
I found it is actually easier to unbolt the TB from its mount, then work on the hoses.

If you have some time and the right chemicals, this might be a good opportunity to clean the TB and the IACV.

Might as well do the EGR procedure while you are in there anyway
Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM

I took the car to a guy today and we put Bars None in there. It still looks like the leak is there but it looks like a pin hole leak.

Disregard the location of the problem I mentioned earlier. I was looking at the steam but it was coming from way down...

The area is in the middle, by the firewall by the windshield, and down a foot, behind the engine.

He said it might be the Freezer Plug (if there is 1 down there.)

It's hard to get to though.

It doesn't look like a hose.

We see it dripping but it's so cramped in that area it's hard to see exactly where it's coming from.

Last edited by captchaos; 08-13-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Get a telescopic mirror at an auto parts store. They are only about $5. You might be able to find the leak with a mirror. That leak crap never works. Fix the problem the right way or you will pay more in the long run. Some things are hard to get to on this engine but it can be done.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 AM

I agree. When he suggested that I wasn't too pleased.

Thanks I will do that.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM

I pulled over at agas station today to fill my water jug up.

They had a shop. The mechanic came out and looked at it.

He seemed to know his stuff.

he said it's probably the Orifice Manifold or O Ring leaking but it's hard to know for sure cause it's so hard to see without getting in there.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

When the car is cold, raise up the front end and crawl under with a good flashlight. You may be able to see discoloration on the underside of a hose that will give you a clue. I was losing water, and finally figured out I had a leak where the heater hoses went into the T on the firewall. There was no indication of the location until I crawled under and looked.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Loud hissing? Sounds like what was happening to my brothers Grand Prix. We were looking at the radiator and hoses, turned out to be the water pump.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik

There are 2 heater hoses, the one I need to replace in on the driver's side. I am having trouble figuring out which one it is - DAYCO 88402 or DAYCO 88401 - one says Heater Outlet (88402) and the other says Heater Inlet (88401) - can anyone help me figure out the correct one I need to get?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Curt Schmdt
There are 2 heater hoses, the one I need to replace in on the driver's side. I am having trouble figuring out which one it is - DAYCO 88402 or DAYCO 88401 - one says Heater Outlet (88402) and the other says Heater Inlet (88401) - can anyone help me figure out the correct one I need to get?
Replace both. It's maintenance at this point.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks, I will do just that!