4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i30 LCA and CV Joints problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM

i30 LCA and CV Joints problems

Hello everyone

My i30 is absolutely destroying the new tires that I put on it, the shop where I put the tire and aligned the car told me that the alignment was pointless because of the condition of the lower control arms, they said these needed replacement. Has anyone done the replacement on their own? is it difficult and are any special tools required?

Also, when I turn sharply the cv joints are making the cracking sound of dead, is this another DIY or I need a mechanic?

Where can I get the best price for these parts?

Thanks

Julian
Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by AliasJR
Hello everyone

My i30 is absolutely destroying the new tires that I put on it, the shop where I put the tire and aligned the car told me that the alignment was pointless because of the condition of the lower control arms, they said these needed replacement. Has anyone done the replacement on their own? is it difficult and are any special tools required?

Also, when I turn sharply the cv joints are making the cracking sound of dead, is this another DIY or I need a mechanic?

Where can I get the best price for these parts?

Thanks

Julian
If u have basic skills u can do it...do both the LCA's and both axels at the same time...
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check rockauto.com for decent prices.
You'll need some impact tools for both jobs and a good bit of patience if its your first time
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This thread will tell you everything you need to know about the suspension. It's a 5th gen thread, but 99% of the info also applies to the 4th gen;

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...thread-28.html
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 AM

Where are you located? I usually purchase MOOG LCA's from eBay or where I can find the best price. For CV axles, I purchase from Advance Auto online, then specify pickup at my local store, and use the TRT30 (30% off over $100) or HUGE50 ($50 off on over $175) coupon codes that brings the price down to $97.99 a set. Although the AA CV joints have a lifetime warranty, I'm never had to use it..

If you need a set of large sockets for the CV axles, AA will let you borrow them (with a deposit) then refund the money when you return tools. Be sure to properly torque the axle bolt or you will shorten the life of the wheel bearing.

Also, when I replace the CV axles, I go ahead and replace the transmission axle seals to start with both new axles and seals. I've had good luck with the Federal Mogul (National) sold at AA.

You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. In addition to various sockets, I use a long 1/2 drive breaker bar, a piece of steel pipe for adding leverage to the breaker bar, and jack stands when I do the job.

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-13-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 AM

I got a smokin deal on my LCAs from rock auto a few months back. Cost less than $100 for a pair of moog LCAs. If you have done suspension work in the past, this is no different. I don't remember it being unusually tricky or difficult. Besides a large set of sockets, hammer, and a good breaker bar, pick up or rent a pickle fork, and maybe a pitman arm puller for the tie rod and. I can't remember if I had to take mine off for more play to get the CV out.
As long as the boots are OK on the other CV you don't need to replace it.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM

I installed new duralast CV axles from autozone that have a limited lifetime warranty. They lasted 58,000 miles before I replaced them a few months ago for a free warranty trade in. Just purchased new timken seals for $25. They are very tight and rarely leak.

I purchased moog LCAs from www.rockauto.com 5 years ago and they've held fine. Bushings are in good shape and very little rust.

Removing the axles first will make it easier to loosen the ball joint nut on the LCAs. When I replaced my LCAs they were so badly rusted I had to remove the axles to get to the tightly rusted ball joint nut.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Where are you located? I usually purchase MOOG LCA's from eBay or where I can find the best price. For CV axles, I purchase from Advance Auto online, then specify pickup at my local store, and use the TRT30 (30% off over $100) or HUGE50 ($50 off on over $175) coupon codes that brings the price down to $97.99 a set. Although the AA CV joints have a lifetime warranty, I'm never had to use it..

If you need a set of large sockets for the CV axles, AA will let you borrow them (with a deposit) then refund the money when you return tools. Be sure to properly torque the axle bolt or you will shorten the life of the wheel bearing.

Also, when I replace the CV axles, I go ahead and replace the transmission axle seals to start with both new axles and seals. I've had good luck with the Federal Mogul (National) sold at AA.

You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. In addition to various sockets, I use a long 1/2 drive breaker bar, a piece of steel pipe for adding leverage to the breaker bar, and jack stands when I do the job.
Miami

I want to do it myself not only to save the money, did the struts recently and it was pretty easy.

I believe I have sockets for the CV axles and will look at the linked thread for suggested torque on all the nuts bolts related to the lca and cv joints.

Does the brand matter for LCA or CV joints, I see some very lowe price lcas

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1...FSMV7AodHCUAww

Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM

New Shoes

Originally Posted by Finkle
I got a smokin deal on my LCAs from rock auto a few months back. Cost less than $100 for a pair of moog LCAs. If you have done suspension work in the past, this is no different. I don't remember it being unusually tricky or difficult. Besides a large set of sockets, hammer, and a good breaker bar, pick up or rent a pickle fork, and maybe a pitman arm puller for the tie rod and. I can't remember if I had to take mine off for more play to get the CV out.

thanks for the info, the boots are destroyed
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Finkle

which one is the 'special' tool needed for CV replacement?
thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AliasJR
Miami

I want to do it myself not only to save the money, did the struts recently and it was pretty easy.

I believe I have sockets for the CV axles and will look at the linked thread for suggested torque on all the nuts bolts related to the lca and cv joints.

Does the brand matter for LCA or CV joints, I see some very lowe price lcas

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1...FSMV7AodHCUAww

Thanks
Click on the link Dave provided in post 4. That thread will provide all the info needed to replace the LCAs and axles.

Download the FSM files from the link CS provided in the bottom of post 5. Match the maxima to the year of the I30 you have. The FA.pdf file will provide the torque for all LCA and axle nuts.

The axle nut requires a deep 36mm socket and 200 ft/lbs of torque. You'll need an impact wrench or a 1/2" breaker bar if you're a weight lifter like myself.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Click on the link Dave provided in post 4. That thread will provide all the info needed to replace the LCAs and axles.

Download the FSM files from the link CS provided in the bottom of post 5. Match the maxima to the year of the I30 you have. The FA.pdf file will provide the torque for all LCA and axle nuts.

The axle nut requires a deep 36mm socket and 200 ft/lbs of torque. You'll need an impact wrench or a 1/2" breaker bar if you're a weight lifter like myself.
Thanks

1RM is 245lbs, does that mean I am covered? lol

We will see how that goes
Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM

buy a bush-link pin.. trust me.

https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-s...a-bushing.html
Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Theres a how to on youtube. I replaced one it took about an hour if you know what your doing just follow the how to guide. impact tools arent required but a breaker bar is depending on your strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIePKbH3hY
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM

There is a way to do it without taking out cv axle!!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by talisman311
Saves time for sure. No complaints with Moog end links.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny9595
There is a way to do it without taking out cv axle!!
Correct. The LCAs can be replaced without removing the axles.

Since he is replacing both the LCAs along with the axles then removing the axles first will make removing the LCAs easier.