4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UIM off - may have dropped a scredriver bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM

UIM off - may have dropped a scredriver bit

Hi,

I had an issue a few months back - my injectors were flooding the engine, and car was not running. In the meanwhile, I bought myself a Prius Plug-in, so maxima was lying neglected under a tree in a parking lot.

My daughter needs a car, so I thought I would try to get the maxima working again. Ordered 6 rebuilt injectors, and got to the stage where upper UIM was off.

It was getting dark, and I was trying to get the injector screws off. Something slipped, and I am not sure where the screwdriver bit fell - in the intake port, or somewhere else. I will look for it when there is sunlight.

If it fell into the intake port, can it be fished out (thinking of buying the harbor freight camera), or do I have to remove the lower manifold to get to it ?

I have not cranked the engine, so it would not have damaged anything yet. But this is the first time I have worked on an engine (using Haynes and Maxima org forum as my guide mostly) - so any advise and comments are welcome :-)

I have given myself many dope slaps. I have also fashioned a cardboard cover for the open ports to prevent future mishaps.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 AM

LIM is pretty easy to remove.
I would get a magnet and remove the LIM just to be safe and have a look.

Make sure to use shop towels or something in the holes next time to prevent this.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Got Retrofit?

^
Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you dropped it into the lower intake manifold some of the intake valves will be closed so the bit wont be inside the cylinder. Check those ones first with a magnet and light. The bit could be sitting on a valve. Taking off the lower manifold will give you a straight shot for inspecting and retrieval. On the cylinders with the valves open enough to let the bit into the engine, take the spark plug out and use a magnet, or better yet get that camera and inspect inside.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
If you dropped it into the lower intake manifold some of the intake valves will be closed so the bit wont be inside the cylinder. Check those ones first with a magnet and light. The bit could be sitting on a valve. Taking off the lower manifold will give you a straight shot for inspecting and retrieval. On the cylinders with the valves open enough to let the bit into the engine, take the spark plug out and use a magnet, or better yet get that camera and inspect inside.
Thank you all. I will get the camera and inspect - first the intake ports, then thru spark plugs - before removing Lower intake manifold.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 AM

I would just take off the LIM before spending money and have a look.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I would just take off the LIM before spending money and have a look.
Any excuse to buy an new tool - I bought it.

However, the camera did not help any - after I got the LIM out, it was right there in plain sight - so I was able to fish it out using a magnetic tool.

Thank you very much. I guess, I don't have to junk this maxima yet.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 PM
oem ftw!

Did you replace the LIM gasket when you put it back on? I'm not sure that it's required when removing the manifold, but it may have been a good opportunity to replace that and provide some insurance against vac leaks.

When I did the 00vI swap, I forgot to buy a new one. I just put a (very) thin bead of RTV w/ the gasket and it worked just fine. Even still, the RTV probably wasn't necessary because I think that gasket was thin metal, really not much room for damage. I just put the RTV anyway, OCD and what not.

Last edited by CRiME; 08-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM

^It's metal.
Not needed afaik.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Did you replace the LIM gasket when you put it back on? I'm not sure that it's required when removing the manifold, but it may have been a good opportunity to replace that and provide some insurance against vac leaks.

When I did the 00vI swap, I forgot to buy a new one. I just put a (very) thin bead of RTV w/ the gasket and it worked just fine. Even still, the RTV probably wasn't necessary because I think that gasket was thin metal, really not much room for damage. I just put the RTV anyway, OCD and what not.
Yes, I did get the gasket set.