4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Photo of your auto transmission dipstick w oem o-ring needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Photo of your auto transmission dipstick w oem o-ring needed

My Maxima is missing the transmission dipstick o-ring, so it doesn't stay in place. I bought the thinnest o-ring O'Reilly had and stretched it over the upper section of the plastic plug, but it doesn't want to stay in like it should. Could someone please post a photo of their auto dipstick and o-ring? Thanks.

Last edited by marianm; 08-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM

OK BRB

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima
Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Hey I went to make a picture and found that I also do not have an o-ring.

What I did find is the metal dipstick has a slight bend just before the red plastic handle that keeps tension on the handle against the tube. I guess the car's previous owner must have experienced the problem and decided to put a small bend in the metal dipstick so it would press against the tube and stay in place.

I don't have a problem keeping it in place at this time. I never noticed the o-ring was missing. Do you have a nearby salvage yard where you can pickup or check out another 4th gen Maxima or I30? My other 4th gen is a 5-speed.

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-29-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:06 PM

o-ring

Thanks for checking! You will have to consider that the reading on the bent dipstick is slightly off when checking ATF level. I've never been to a salvage yard; I heard that around here you have to pay to get in.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by marianm
Thanks for checking! You will have to consider that the reading on the bent dipstick is slightly off when checking ATF level. I've never been to a salvage yard; I heard that around here you have to pay to get in.
Around here they charge $1 to get in.. Now that I know mine is missing, I think the o-ring may have disintegrated and fell into the transmission.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 PM

I live in Anaheim. Pick UR Part costs $2 to get in for the day. They might let you have the dipstick for free. It depends on the cashier. They have let me have free parts before.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:32 AM

level. I've never been to a salvage yard; I heard that around here you have to pay to get in.

In central Mass they don't charge as a rule. But one opened up which did and didn't last long. So why DO they charge the nominal admission fee? Who cares if you just walk around and check out cars? I love checking out cars at the boneyard.

Got a trunk lid for my 99 with my son helping, it's gonna be his ride, and in the process, having to remove the rear seat and crawl on to release it, we found a silver dollar - I polished it up and it's his "lucky coin." I'm just doing whatever I can to maintain a bond with my teenagers! His sister is a whole different ball game.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by maximusrising
So why DO they charge the nominal admission fee? Who cares if you just walk around and check out cars? I love checking out cars at the boneyard.

Got a trunk lid for my 99 with my son helping, it's gonna be his ride, and in the process, having to remove the rear seat and crawl on to release it, we found a silver dollar - I polished it up and it's his "lucky coin." I'm just doing whatever I can to maintain a bond with my teenagers! His sister is a whole different ball game.
Somehow I think they use the "cash in" to determine the number of visitors in a day. I've overheard them make remarks like "we made $315" in visitor money yesterday. Also I think the injury legal waver I sign on entering may reference a fee for the privilege of entering.

4th Gens make great family projects. My sons started driving on their SE 5-speeds. My daughter has an I30.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by maximusrising
level. I've never been to a salvage yard; I heard that around here you have to pay to get in.

In central Mass they don't charge as a rule. But one opened up which did and didn't last long. So why DO they charge the nominal admission fee? Who cares if you just walk around and check out cars? I love checking out cars at the boneyard.

Pick-n-Pull charges $2 in NorCal to get in. I was told it was to offset all the goodies that we walk out with in our pockets.