4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeaky engine around pulleys - with video

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Squeaky engine around pulleys - with video

Hello fellow Maximizers. A few days ago I'd noticed a squeak coming from the pulley side of the engine. Sounds like maybe a belt or something rubbing on metal? Here's some audio (and video):

http://tinypic.com/r/23t19o6/8
http://tinypic.com/r/erlz6d/8

(I should mention, that a few weeks before this the Check Engine came on with a Knock Sensor (0304) and Absolute Pressure Sensor (0803) codes. I doubt this is relevant, but who knows?...)

Any ideas? I want to first collect your shared wisdom if I can fix this myself or need to have a mechanic touch this.

Last edited by lurnetsansop; 09-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Power Steering belt looks lose, but I believe you've got another pulley or bearing that's done too. Remove the belts, rotate each pulley by hand. You'll feel the one's making the noise. You can also use a long screwdriver and touch the blade to each component and the handle to your ear. You'll clearly hear which one's are making the noise.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM

thanks njmaxseltd, i'm going to take the belts off tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 PM

The crank pulley might be separating also. Mark the inner and outer parts and check a day later. If the marks have come out of alignment, its time for a Dorman or UDP.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
The crank pulley might be separating also. Mark the inner and outer parts and check a day later. If the marks have come out of alignment, its time for a Dorman or UDP.
+1

When my crank pulley separated it sounded like the PS belt was squealing. The crank pulley separated and started rubbing against the PS belt.

Here's a pic of a separated pulley below.

Name:  Crank_Pulley_Sep_zps4e045faa.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  726.1 KB
Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Yep, it's the crankshaft pulley for sure:

for comparison, here's the new pulley:

The rubber between the outer and inner parts is clearly torn. It also feels wobbly to the touch.

Well, another year, another rotted-out part, I suppose. I got a new one for 90 bucks off of rockauto, so that wasn't too bad.

But getting this pulley off the motor, that's going to be a challenge.

I tried the starter method with a cheater bar, and tore the cheater bar pipe in two. Next I'll try a real breaker bar vs. the starter. I guess if that doesn't work I'll have to Ask A Mechanic to loosen this bolt for me.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Administrator

You'll get it. A good strong cheater bar while blipping the ignition method has worked like a charm for me several times. If you have some MAP or propane gas, blast the pulley area around the bolt for 10 seconds too.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:16 PM

SCeemb

Well, in the battle of Starter vs. the Pulley Bolt, The Bolt won every single round.
Here's one of them, out of at least 4 or 5 more.

http://tinypic.com/r/e6v9xe/8 (video)

I made sure the engine was warm, and sprayed plenty of pb blaster on the bolt, all to no avail.

So like the guy in the https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...lley-bolt.html thread, i'm stuck.
So unless you guys have some more ideas for me to try tomorrow, it looks like i'll be handing this over to a mechanic with over 200ft-lbs of torque.

..something i noticed while working on this that concerned me: puffs of smoke from the engine!...

http://tinypic.com/r/6744tg/8 (video)

It doesn't have a readily identifiable smell, but probably not ignition exhaust, maybe more like oil or rubber...
I suspect and hope this is smoke from pulley grinding the side of the PS belt. It's only there when the engine warms up. I'll see if it persists once this pulley job is finished.

Last edited by lurnetsansop; 09-20-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 PM

I've removed 3 crank pulleys so far without an issue. The only thing that I do that is slightly different from the video is to use a steel gas pipe (from Lowe's) as a cheater bar over my 1/2 drive breaker bar.

I lift up the cheater bar about an inch from the garage floor so the starter can get a small amount of turn momentum going before the bar strikes the floor. When the bar strikes the garage floor, naturally it makes a loud bang when the bolt breaks loose.

I've never been able to get it to work with the bar resting solidly against the garage floor or something like a jack stand in the video.

I would replace the belts along with the pulley.

Last edited by CS_AR; 09-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I lift up the cheater bar about an inch from the garage floor so the starter can get a small amount of turn momentum going before the bar strikes the floor.
Oh, that makes good sense. I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:24 PM

I always remove the fuel pump fuse and spin out any remaining fuel. You don't want it to start up while you're breaking the bolt loose.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Success! the crank pulley is off, the Alternator pulley is loose, but the PS pulley is stuck. I loosened the hard-to-reach PS tensioner lock bolt, and rotated the PS pulley tensioner clockwise, but the pulley stayed firmly in place. I cut the old PS belt, but I can't get the new one on. Worst-case, i'll walk it on, but then i'll have a stuck pulley without a tensioner bolt supporting it (since I don't know what its original position was).

... How do I get this PS pulley to budge?...

---

edit: nevermind, i walked the belt on, and tightened the tensioner lock nut. the new belt looks about the right tension anyways.

thanks to you guys, TASK COMPLETE. pics and video later.

Last edited by lurnetsansop; 09-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM

Thanks for your advice, CS_AR , shutting of the fuel pump and burning off the leftovers made things much safer.

as promised:

Removing the crank pulley:
Name:  nbmCrtS.gif
Views: 5
Size:  1.75 MB
http://tinypic.com/r/dtqbm/8 (video)

[ loosening the pulley video skipped -- there's plenty of these out there ]

Like I said before, Loosening the power steering pulley tensioner lock bolt and the tensioner bolt itself did not budge the pump pulley, so I walked the belt on and was unable to adjust the tension:

http://tinypic.com/r/nflkc0/8 (video) new pulley and belts - -how's the tension on those?

That's all. Thanks all for your help, now i've got another possible problem to diagnose - https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...arm-video.html

Last edited by lurnetsansop; 09-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Follow-up: When I originally did this job, I did not replace the crankshaft seal behind the crank pulley. So it was no surprise when I noticed that oil was leaking from behind said pulley.

I redid the job yesterday with a new crankshaft seal, and now -- so far -- no leaks. So take note -- if the seal looks brittle, or is >5 years old, replace it!

Also, I learned how to walk-on a belt with a zip tie.