4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Picture tutorial on blower motor removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Picture tutorial on blower motor removal?

99 Max. I have searched and searched (maxima blower motor fan replacement, ) no luck in finding/looking for a pictures tutorial I saw on this forum within the last 3 years - it involved cutting the cross bar under the edge of the glove box to allow blower fan removal .
anyone know where that link is?
thanks
Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

No cutting of the cross bar required. I don't think there's a write-up (could be wrong) because the job is so easy. It looks like it won't come out due to clearance restrictions, but it just makes it. You may have to loosen a screw or two for the dash near the passenger footwell to allow the dash some 'flex' to move a 1/2", but that's about it. I've done this before, it's really straightforward, just go for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM

^^^ exactly what he said.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:50 PM

blower motor removal takes about 10-15 min to do.
what you will need:
8mm socket
10mm socket
phillips screw driver
flat head screw driver
panel popper

You will need to take apart your glove compartment. Use your phillips screw driver to remove the 4 top screws, 2 of them hold the latch in place, and the 2 bottom screws under the glove box. Pay mind cause you will also have to remove 1 plug, the glove box light.

Ok now that the glove box is out of the way we can now take apart the kick panel which consist of 1 plastic nut towards the back,can be taken out by hand. Once that nut is out you can now pull on the kick panel towards the center console or use your panel popper.

Once thats done we can now see the 10mm nut that is exposed that holds the bottom corner of the dash down. we will need to remove it. Now that its removed we can use the panel popper or the flat head screw driver to pry the bottom outwards.

Now onto the blower... The blower has 3 screws holding it in place... but, before removing them we will need to remove the plastic hose that connects to it, then we can remove the screws with a phillips or an 8mm socket. Once all is removed you will need to tug on the blower for it to come loose. Now since the dash is pryed out a bit you shouldn't have a problem pulling the blower out and disconnecting the harness to it. and to reinstall just go in reverse.

Hope this helps
Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 PM

so where to buy parts? say a glover motor and fan wheel?

do you try to sort out the alleged manufacturers ? like Delco, vdo. 4 seasons, gdo or tyc? all of which might be the same part?

or do you try to choose by who is selling it like parts geek or auto parts warehouse?
how to buy?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 PM

I chose the one on Amazon.com. I have no idea what brand it was and it worked just fine. I can't remember if it came with the squirrel cage or not. I think it did.

What ever you decide, do not get a universal blower motor. You will need to do modifications to the the electrical wiring called cutting and splicing and hope you get it right so that the motor doesn't spin backwards. You also might have to modify the mounting. It's easier to spend the couple of extra dollars and get a plug and play unit.