4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

buying new exhaust opinions please

Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM

buying new exhaust opinions please

wanna know if this exhaust is any good...seems reasonably priced
thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-1-RACING...62f67d&vxp=mtr
Old 09-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Those headers won't give you any noticeable gains, but all the aggravation of the install. And I bet that ypipe also only fits with those headers and not OEM.

I'd skip the aggravation and just get a Warpspeed Ypipe. If you want the most power, you're gonna have to wait until some Cattman headers w/ ypipe pop up in the classifieds.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by max-nutcase
wanna know if this exhaust is any good...seems reasonably priced
thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-1-RACING...62f67d&vxp=mtr
I would be interested too see IF you have any installation issues! I'm eager to do the same I have a Warpspeed Ypipe and MES Catback and I would love to see some of these cheap set ups perform! It might not be Cattman Headers but it's got to be better than OEM!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I would be interested too see IF you have any installation issues! I'm eager to do the same I have a Warpspeed Ypipe and MES Catback and I would love to see some of these cheap set ups perform! It might not be Cattman Headers but it's got to be better than OEM!
not w/o a lot of tweaking from what i've heard. the pipes never line up at the bolt holes from the front y, either too long or bent wrong, someone that installed them made a thread awhile back.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 AM

I dont understand y they wouldnt make a y-pipe that will line up to oem...they would sell a boatload of them ..i mean i would buy a stainless y-pipe for the 160 bucks without the stupid headers... i emailed them hoping maybe they have changed em recently and will line up correctly now...my fingers are crossed...
but im considering buying them anyway even if i have to put the headers on also....i do agree they have to be better than oem...plus bein stainless it would be the last time id have to replace it!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont understand y they wouldnt make a y-pipe that will line up to oem...they would sell a boatload of them ..i mean i would buy a stainless y-pipe for the 160 bucks without the stupid headers... i emailed them hoping maybe they have changed em recently and will line up correctly now...my fingers are crossed...
but im considering buying them anyway even if i have to put the headers on also....i do agree they have to be better than oem...plus bein stainless it would be the last time id have to replace it!
Warpspeed makes a y pipe exactly as you describe, it has zero issues with fitment or quality and is probably the single most effective mod in terms of money vs. performance gains. Its also probably the most popular, they DO sell a boat load of them. They make a fed specc and a cali specc version so it will fit any 4gen without needing headers and whatnot.

Youre not going to get a SS one for 160$ though.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Warpspeed makes a y pipe exactly as you describe, it has zero issues with fitment or quality and is probably the single most effective mod in terms of money vs. performance gains. Its also probably the most popular, they DO sell a boat load of them. They make a fed specc and a cali specc version so it will fit any 4gen without needing headers and whatnot.

Youre not going to get a SS one for 160$ though.
ya , not a WS, but i would buy one of these SS pipes if they bolt up easy...dam for 170 bucks .....it wouldnt cost anymore for this company to make perfect fit ones ..y wouldnt they make them to bolt right up?....im hoping they email me back saying they will...
they would make more profit just sellin bolt up SS y-pipes for 170, they wouldnt have to use more SS for the headers ...everyone here would prob buy them...
Old 09-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ya , not a WS, but i would buy one of these SS pipes if they bolt up easy...dam for 170 bucks .....it wouldnt cost anymore for this company to make perfect fit ones ..y wouldnt they make them to bolt right up?....im hoping they email me back saying they will...
they would make more profit just sellin bolt up SS y-pipes for 170, they wouldnt have to use more SS for the headers ...everyone here would prob buy them...
Yeah but they wont. It costs money for them to design and redesign. Why bother when ignorant people will just buy them as is, as you are considering? Also consider other companies, like warpspeed, already make a better product for a similar price. Kinda pointless for them to waste their time and money refining their design for a product that is less and less in demand and already done better by other businesses.

Theres a reason why its being sold for so cheap, on ebay of all places.

Last edited by Slamrod; 09-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM

There were some $160 headers that fit fine! But if they didn't fit perfectly you're still ahead even if you have to modify the header assy!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:32 PM

There were some $160 headers that fit fine! But if they didn't fit perfectly you're still ahead even if you have to modify the header assy!
ya well im just sick of doing exhaust work..my last WS lasted about 3 yrs here in RI (Even painted)..and as someone said, the welds werent impressive..if u ask me WS's suck...this is the last time i wana touch this y-pipe...i may buy it even if i have to put the headers on.i just found a friend of a friend and he actually put these on..so not a big deal !i havent talked to him yet ,but i will ask if he wanted the headers on or had to have em(if he even used the headers) .no matter what they will be better than oem(or at least equal)...the way i look at it, its either put a tinny POS WS on again in 3 yrs, or if i have to, do a little more work puttin the headers on now and never again...i DONT want another WS!! For the 100.00 less then WS i will do the headers! its worth it to never do a y-pipe again on this 16 y/o max
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM

ya well im just sick of doing exhaust work..my last WS lasted about 3 yrs here in RI (Even painted)..and as someone said, the welds werent impressive..if u ask me WS's suck...this is the last time i wana touch this y-pipe...i may buy it even if i have to put the headers on.i just found a friend of a friend and he actually put these on..so not a big deal !i havent talked to him yet ,but i will ask if he wanted the headers on or had to have em(if he even used the headers) .no matter what they will be better than oem(or at least equal)...the way i look at it, its either put a tinny POS WS on again in 3 yrs, or if i have to, do a little more work puttin the headers on now and never again...i DONT want another WS!! For the 100.00 less then WS i will do the headers! its worth it to never do a y-pipe again on this 16 y/o max
Next time, opt for the stainless steel WS ypipe.....and ceramic coat it for extra protection!