4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

has anyone swapped rear windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM
SLOW

has anyone swapped rear windshield

the very very old tint on my car is starting to bubble and get very blurry, i essentially can't see out the rear window. i am considering swapping the rear window with my beater which may be getting parted out here.

anyone ever swapped a rear window on a 4th gen before?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 PM

I recently had a tint guy remove some bad tint with a steamer I bought at Walmart. He put on some new higher quality tint. The steamer made a big difference in removal time.

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima
Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I recently had a tint guy remove some bad tint with a steamer I bought at Walmart. He put on some new higher quality tint. The steamer made a big difference in removal time.

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima

Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. Manual removal of the tint with a razorblade or whatever isn't working, the tint is so old that the adhesive portion has gone completely hard and has basically fused to the window. It basically won't scrape off. It would take literally probably days to scrape it off at this rate, a tiny tiny sliver at a time, think like the size of a fingernail clipping or something, that is how hard it is to scrape off. Tiny shavings.

I might try the steam thing, or maybe a solvent of some sort to dissolve it or loosen it, but at this point my thought is that it would be easier to replace the entire window.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Since you have already used a razor, you most assuredly sliced the defroster lines and now your rear defroster will no longer work. Thats the same boat that I am in. I called around and found that I could get the rear windshield replaced for a little more than $200.

I thought about buying one used (about $50) and installing it myself, but I watched some videos on it and dont have the tools/stuff to do it. So after calculating the purchase of the windshield, tools, seal, other materials, and my time to research it and then do it, then add in the chance that I do it wrong... I think Im going to spend the $200 to have a pro replace it with a new one and a new seal (and a warranty).
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Using window cleaner with ammonia scrub with 0000 wool pads. If they're too fine then try 000 pads.

Note: with my comprehensive insurance I had my worn out rear windshield replaced for free last spring.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Manual removal of the tint with a razorblade or whatever isn't working, the tint is so old that the adhesive portion has gone completely hard and has basically fused to the window. .
You can't use a razor, you'll cut the defroster lines. Peal off what you can by hand, leaving the residue on the window. Then soak it with window cleaner and the glue will soften up. Repeat the process until all the glue is gone.

Originally Posted by jholley
Using window cleaner with ammonia scrub with 0000 wool pads. If they're too fine then try 000 pads.
Not sure if I'd use steel wool, it might be to aggressive for the defroster. Maybe a slightly worn scotch scrubbing pad??
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM

If you go to a good tint guy or tint a place that does a lot of tint they should know all the tricks to removing all the old residue off. I removed the tint on my side windows with ammonia and water mixed. It breaks down the glue.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM
SLOW

my defroster lines are fine. i tried a razor in the very corner and haven't come anywhere near a defroster line yet.

to be more clear, this is not simple adhesive residue. i have dealt with removing tint and the leftover residue before it is nowhere near the level of what i'm dealing with. basically the tint itself has "come apart" and the cellophane-like plastic portion has come off, but the entire surface still has a layer of hardened adhesive, it is not gooey or gummy anymore. every bit of adhesive is still on the window. i will try with ammonia based window cleaner and hope that does some dissolving on this stuff. if that doesn't work i'll take it to a tint shop and see what they say about it. this tint might be close to 20 years old on this car (car is 19 years old and i bought the car 10 years ago and the tint was already completely purple, but now i can't even see out of it.)
Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Not sure if I'd use steel wool, it might be to aggressive for the defroster. Maybe a slightly worn scotch scrubbing pad??
0000 wool pads are very fine and softer than a worn scotch scrubbing pad. It's similar to comparing 2000 sandpaper to 400 sandpaper. I used 0000 pads with windex to remove clear coat paint on my front windshield and it left no scratches.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
my defroster lines are fine. i tried a razor in the very corner and haven't come anywhere near a defroster line yet.

to be more clear, this is not simple adhesive residue. i have dealt with removing tint and the leftover residue before it is nowhere near the level of what i'm dealing with. basically the tint itself has "come apart" and the cellophane-like plastic portion has come off, but the entire surface still has a layer of hardened adhesive, it is not gooey or gummy anymore. every bit of adhesive is still on the window. i will try with ammonia based window cleaner and hope that does some dissolving on this stuff. if that doesn't work i'll take it to a tint shop and see what they say about it. this tint might be close to 20 years old on this car (car is 19 years old and i bought the car 10 years ago and the tint was already completely purple, but now i can't even see out of it.)
I feel your pain as I'm in the same boat as you on one of my project cars. I tried the Ammonia trick 5 times; soak window in ammonia and then seal the window off with a large black trash bag and let it stand in the sun for a day. Only the first layer came off just like you. I'm going to try the steamer method, but I'm not too optimistic about it as I feel the hardened adhesive layer isn't going to budge after being on the car for 16 years. The back window swap may prove to be the best and easiest option.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Glass is best left to a pro. I'm sure you could call around and have some one come out and remove both windows and reinstall the good one for you.