4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Non Crazy Headlight Options?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 AM

Non Crazy Headlight Options?????

Hi Gang,

My 99 Maxima (185K) is losing her sight. LOL

Or is that me?

So the headlight assemblies arre clouding up quickly after polishing and the light coverage on dark roads is really lacking.

In the past, I've used the Ultravisions and they last less than a year and one burns out at the worst times.

So who has a recipe that isn't too radical but with great results? Headlights that pan wider up close for turning into very dark areas would really be great.

Please Advise!!!!

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM

u sd u already polished/cleaned the headlights? If not, u can buy some restorative headlight cleaner stuff from Autozone. i used it with great results.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Add a ground kit
Get an upgraded light harness.
Get better 9004 bulbs like 1 or 2 steps below the ultra visions. Like you said, ultravisions don't last, and it's always one of them dying at the worst time. Once one of my ultra visions blew so badly that I thought it destroyed the entire headlight circuit. Once I replaced the bulbs with regular 9004s, all was good.

All the suggestions above will make your regular bulbs stronger, and they will still last a decent length of time.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys!

Yeah the assemblies are 15 years old and I use Nexus plastic polish and foam polishing pads and it doesn't last long anymore.

Time for new Headlight assemblies. Hopefully, something newer will have a wider spread pattern and diffuse light more in the desired areas. If anyone has found better than original, please share which ones with me!

The Halogen bulbs last forever but don't light the road as well as the ultravisions did. Maybe with better units I can get closer using a step or two below the ultravisions.

I read about changing the socket and using 9007 bulbs. Anybody do that and get what I'm hoping to find and reliability?

The car is turning into a money drain and I want to keep it reasonable but a decent margin better. I'm getting old too! LOL
Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did the 9004 to 9007 bulb conversion listed in the Sticky and it worked wonders for me! The Mod wasn't too tough and all it cost was $15 for the new bulbs and half an hour of my time.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

After you polish the headlights use gel wax on the headlights to seal them so they do not get yellow so fast.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxorgy
I did the 9004 to 9007 bulb conversion listed in the Sticky and it worked wonders for me! The Mod wasn't too tough and all it cost was $15 for the new bulbs and half an hour of my time.
Now that sounds attractive! Did you get a wider light spread for turning into black holes? LOL

Maybe that and new Assemblies will get me some extra vision! Helps with pedestrians wearing black and not paying attention crossing the street I am turning on to in DARK areas. Here on Long Island, most areas are decently lit. Some not so good and some states are saving a bundle on electricity costs! IOW... Black Holes!

Gel Wax? I'll have to check that out!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Halogens do last forever but they get much weaker with age. Just replacing a 5 year old halogen bulb with a new one will improve your lighting.

Also keep in mind that converting 9004 to 9007 is like permanent high beams.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Permanent, as in blinding oncoming drivers? The conversion sticky didn't indicate that. It left me thinking there would still be both high and low choices similar in coverage, just better like the ultravisions (and more reliable)

This is why I'm asking. I need the skinny. The real skinny! LOL

I've got to do something. I need more light. My eyes have been through hell and many internal surgeries.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also keep in mind that converting 9004 to 9007 is like permanent high beams.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, the 9004 are 45/65 Watts low/high where as the 9007 are 55/65 Watts low/high which still in the legal limit of the DOT.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxorgy
Not necessarily, the 9004 are 45/65 Watts low/high where as the 9007 are 55/65 Watts low/high which still in the legal limit of the DOT.
Hey MaxO, does the light pattern go higher now as to blind oncoming drivers? How about the sides, are they more lit? Almost like cornering lights?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

True, but the bulbs beam output isn't correct which doesn't allow the reflector to put the light down on the road where it's needed.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The light is brighter overall and does project a little further up ahead but not so much to the sides. If you're worried about blinding on coming cars, you can always adjust the headlights to point a little lower and closer to your car.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 PM

I've done my oem headlights that are 16 years old.
I polished my head lights with a 3M headlight restoration kit about 4 months ago and they still look new. I did not seal them because a hit them with a polish about once a week or more when i detail my car.

At first i was gonna upgrade the bulbs. But after reading i knew i was't going to be happy with just brighter bulbs. So i decide to give the retro thing a try.

I was quoted about $800 to do the job. Noway was i gonna pay that when i only paid $600 for the car.

So for about $300 this is what i have.

Once you go HID you will want nothing less

Last edited by maximaham; 10-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Hi Ham,

Did you use the existing assemblies? Also, do these bulbs move in and out for High/Low beam? If not, how does that work?

What kit did you use? I'm guessing you had to remove them to do the retrofit?

Please do tell!

Thanks!

Oh yeah... Do they blind oncoming drivers. I CURSE people who do that so I can't be a hypocrite! LOL

Last edited by KP11520; 10-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:08 PM

yes,yes and yes. search the forums that's how i learned. All the info you need is there.
theretrofitsource.com
Old 10-21-2014, 04:04 PM

dam ur ride does not look $600 lol u must of done alot of work to it, mine was 3,500 2 years ago for white pearl maxima gle all options 124k miles. problem free for 2 years

dealing with (just got CEL light couple days ago)
code 0400-EGR
code 0325- knock sensor

just waiting for knock sensor to come in so i can finish the 2 jobs to hopefully get rid of the CEL.

very nice lookin headlights. yellow/foggy headlights can make the car look junky at times.

Last edited by JoshG; 10-21-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Yea i bought it from a police auction in Philadelphia almost a year ago. I purchased it with the intent to sell it. But onec i found out how good the car ran i decided to keep it as a dd since my other car is a BMW.

Now since finding this forum i decided to keep it until the wheels fall off.

To date here is a list off things that i have done
Hood struts
front bumper
front fenders
New Belts
Hid projector retrofit
Clear bumper lights
Rewire bumper lights
Yellow fog overlays and yellow nokya bulbs
Blue Gauge Leds
Knock sensor and harness
Spark plugs
oil brakes all around
Cleaned the egr tube,throttle body,and IACV
New muffler welded on(working on a complete exhaust)
steering knuckle (passenger side)
Axle(drivers side)
Used kenwood radio(will put my Alpine in soon)
MAF
BIG 3
Regressed starter
new antenna
Led interior lights
Fuel filter and hoses
And fresh paint on the front end
Door and rear deck speakers
Homemade spare tire cover

Soon to come
4 channel amp (need to run speaker,power, and remote wire)
Complete exhaust
Lower Rad support(minimal rust)

Next summer 3.5 swap

Last edited by maximaham; 10-22-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Damn well done, I plan on doing some of the stuff you did, already gonna do EGR tube/knock sensor this week. gonna tell em to clean MAF/thorttle body while they are at it.

then see how the results come out after the problem and decide if I need to do things such as spark plugs , IACV etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Hey Ham, Thanks for the Link! I will call them tomorrow!

You did quite well at that auction! I wish my car looked as good as your $600 Max!

I've dumped a LOT of money the past several years!

The later 99's need the top removed to get to the KS. Tranny had to be removed to remove the corrosion between the tranny and the crank sensor. Car wouldn't start, Rebuilt tranny, Gaskets everywhere. Throttle and EGR carbon all cleaned out, Harmonic Balancer, Alternator, P/S pump and hose, Water Pump, Timing Gears, Chain and Tensioner, Radiator, Rear Calipers and hoses and all the rest. Rear Strut assemblies this past weekend, Hood struts 2 weeks ago, Pirelli P7 tires 2 months ago. (SUPERB!) And I'm just getting started. LOL

Front Strut assemblies next week. Quiet exhaust leak that stinks up the cabin??? I think the Timing Chain Cover Seal is leaking again after less than a year. That's going back! And so on!

Keep up the good work! But don't let it eat you alive.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
...The later 99's need the top removed to get to the KS.
That's true. But remember that the KS is not a critical component for the car's functionality. Less power? Yes. But if you run 87 octane, you weren't worried about that anyway. Fuel economy is still good, too with a bad KS. I averaged 22-24 MPGs with a bad KS for a year or so.

I would advise anyone with a 99 california spec maxima, if they are not too concerned with power, leave the bad KS alone until you have to do other stuff around the intake plenum, like valve cover gaskets and EGR tube cleaning. That way, you take the intake manifold off and do all 3 jobs in one fell swoop.

Tranny had to be removed to remove the corrosion between the tranny and the crank sensor. Car wouldn't start, Rebuilt tranny, Gaskets everywhere. Throttle and EGR carbon all cleaned out, Harmonic Balancer, Alternator, P/S pump and hose, Water Pump, Timing Gears, Chain and Tensioner, Radiator, Rear Calipers and hoses and all the rest. Rear Strut assemblies this past weekend, Hood struts 2 weeks ago, Pirelli P7 tires 2 months ago. (SUPERB!) And I'm just getting started. LOL
When I hear this I have to wonder if your mechanic is taking you for a ride. The no-start condition was most likely due to a crank sensor. Either clean it or replace it. DONE. Tranny removal is not involved at all.

Front Strut assemblies next week. Quiet exhaust leak that stinks up the cabin??? I think the Timing Chain Cover Seal is leaking again after less than a year. That's going back! And so on!
.....with another mechanic I hope.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
.....with another mechanic I hope.
You Betcha!!!!!

ME!

I can't afford to pay for shoddy work! I can't afford to pay for excellent work either, when I can do it just as well!

It's too risky these days to pay anyone. The odds are against people to get it properly diagnosed, done right and at a fair price.

Homey Don't Play Dat! (anymore)

Thanks for the insight!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM

thats why i do 98% of my own work. But i do have a mechanic that i'v known for over 15 years and my uncle(but hes getting up there in age)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Restore the headlights back to clear as can be, then clear coat it. Protects the plastic from being weathered. Throw some HIDs in it and you're good. Doesn't matter if you don't have projectors. As long as you aim them right, and aren't glaring in any windows you're fine.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Every time i see HIDS in a halogen head light i say to my self that looks so stupid. So RICE...oh wait and to top it off there blue.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Throw some HIDs in it and you're good. Doesn't matter if you don't have projectors.
False
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I HATE Blue. I prefer a bit more yellow to white, maybe around 4K or so. The yellow to white is easier for me to see in the rain. The higher white numbers and up, seem to get eaten up when everything is wet!

Reliability and Visibility is as cool as I need.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 AM

Ever notice how cars with HIDs in the rain drive a little bit slower than regular halogen cars? I think HIDs were initially made blueish for marketing reasons only. It was the only way they could stand out. Ahhh THIS guy has HIDs. Sometimes I really hate marketing. Yellowish white light is much better suited to bad weather. Blue is miserable.

That being said, whitish projector HIDs are FTW in spades, like Maximahams.

Notice how the new LED headlights are no longer blue? No need to make them stand out because their small size and shape is already distinctive. HIDs are still the brightest there is, but LED is the future. More efficient, less complicated, and almost as bright as HID.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM

I have 8k, a tad blue. I like them along with my 3k fogs. I don't blind anyone with my halogen housings. Why do you guys think it does? Only time it can really bother someone is if you have a lifted truck with it. Therefore the beam heads straight into the driver's back window because you're up that high. Of course it would be nice to drop cash for a retrofit project.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM

I have 8k, a tad blue. I like them along with my 3k fogs. I don't blind anyone with my halogen housings. Why do you guys think it does? ....
It's not a question of "think." When it comes to upgrading a 9004 bulb to 9007, you're going from a bulb with a horizontal filament to a bulb with a vertical filament. When you put a 9007 bulb in the gen4 maxima's 9004 housing, it fits, but the light from the 9007 bulb is being directed all the wrong ways inside the 9004 reflector. Net result is a main beam that's high,and a high beam that's useless.

Check this out:

http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf
Old 10-23-2014, 08:35 AM

At first I was gonna go the 9007 route,but once I read all the negative reviews(plus I hate to draw any type of negative attention from the law) I decided to do it the correct way.. Bi-xenon projector retrofit. Hids in holagen housings suck big time
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by maximaham
At first I was gonna go the 9007 route,but once I read all the negative reviews(plus I hate to draw any type of negative attention from the law) I decided to do it the correct way.. Bi-xenon projector retrofit. Hids in holagen housings suck big time
So.... Does the Bi-Xenon also give a wider light wash to the sides or just put it all out front like the normal 9004's?

This is very important to me! (Blind) well not really, but my eyes are compromised quite a bit.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Well that all depends on the projectors lens(the glass) and the bowl of the projector it self. The are tons of right ups and forums about projectors. Plus YouTube videos.
Hit up Chrisman287

Last edited by maximaham; 10-23-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Good thing I don't use 9007's. I never bothered to. I didn't think it was that worthy of an upgrade.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Got Retrofit?

So.... Does the Bi-Xenon also give a wider light wash to the sides or just put it all out front like the normal 9004's?
Here's a video of my headlights. You tell me if the light is wider:
http://instagram.com/p/sqy4mOyopR/

Good thing I don't use 9007's. I never bothered to. I didn't think it was that worthy of an upgrade.
Yet you think PnP HIDs are worthy. Compare yours to the video I linked above.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM

PM sent!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Here's a video of my headlights. You tell me if the light is wider:
http://instagram.com/p/sqy4mOyopR/

Yet you think PnP HIDs are worthy. Compare yours to the video I linked above.

Can't compare fully. As far as brightness goes that is way brighter than mine, but that's around what.. 5 or 6k? I have 8. That won't be a fair comparison.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Here's a video of my headlights.....
The Maxima headlights and the I30 are the exact same, right? So everything you do for Maximas would fit my I30? I gotta say your quad kits are rather sick
Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Got Retrofit?

Can't compare fully. As far as brightness goes that is way brighter than mine, but that's around what.. 5 or 6k? I have 8. That won't be a fair comparison.
6000K.

I probably have 8000K bulbs laying around that I can throw in but it still isn't a fair comparison not because of the temperature differences but because HIDs in halogen housings just don't compare to HIDs in HID projectors.

Maybe HIDs in halogen projectors would be a better comparison but halogen reflectors would still lose.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The Maxima headlights and the I30 are the exact same, right? So everything you do for Maximas would fit my I30? I gotta say your quad kits are rather sick
Maxima and I30 headlights are shaped slightly differently but are close enough which makes them interchangeable. I think when my friend put R34s on his I30 there were gaps. I'd have to ask him.

Quads in Cefiros might be a possibility with smaller projectors but will still be a squeeze.

Quick Reply: Non Crazy Headlight Options?????