4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why is my new belt starting to squeel on startup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:42 PM

why is my new belt starting to squeel on startup?

A month ago i changed the main belt cuz at startup it would squeel...so i went and bought a new one put it on and i thought all was good...but in the last few days the new one is starting to do the same thing (not as bad as the one I replaced ,YET) when i put the new one on, i made sure the tentioner pulley was fine...what rule of thumb do you guys go buy as far as belt tension? i dont have a belt tool to measure the tension...i am allways afraid of overtightening it and ruining the bearings in the alt.
is it possible it has something to do with alt? or could it be that the new one has broke in a bit and stretched?
ive seen some people say if you can take the belt and turn it equal to a "half turn" its about right..how true is that method?
thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 PM

u need to have that belt tighten up a bit
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Administrator

For tightening the belt, just use the 90 degree thumb and index finger test between the crank pulley and AC pulley (longest run). If you can twist the belt with medium/moderate force more than 90 degrees, it's not tight enough.

Maybe the belt wasn't the problem to begin with? Did you diagnose the problem to begin with? Or did you just assume it was the belt? If it's not the belt tension, it could be the alternator pulley, the tensioner pulley..any pulley really. With the belt off spin each pulley and listen to them and watch them. It should spin fairly easily and be quit. If it's somewhat hard to turn, or wobbles, the bearing is most likely shot.

It's also possible that something like oil or PS fluid is dripping onto the belt and causing the squealing. More diagnosis is needed.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
For tightening the belt, just use the 90 degree thumb and index finger test between the crank pulley and AC pulley (longest run). If you can twist the belt with medium/moderate force more than 90 degrees, it's not tight enough.

Maybe the belt wasn't the problem to begin with? Did you diagnose the problem to begin with? Or did you just assume it was the belt? If it's not the belt tension, it could be the alternator pulley, the tensioner pulley..any pulley really. With the belt off spin each pulley and listen to them and watch them. It should spin fairly easily and be quit. If it's somewhat hard to turn, or wobbles, the bearing is most likely shot.

It's also possible that something like oil or PS fluid is dripping onto the belt and causing the squealing. More diagnosis is needed.
well, i did pretty much take it for granted the belt was shot, i did check the tentioner pulley when i changed it, and it was fine...but thinking back i shouldve checked the altinator. .. looks like im gonna be pulling it off instead of just tightening it to check the alt. i figured if it was the alt. bearing id most likely hear the usual rumbling noise
Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by max-nutcase
well, i did pretty much take it for granted the belt was shot, i did check the tentioner pulley when i changed it, and it was fine...but thinking back i shouldve checked the altinator. .. looks like im gonna be pulling it off instead of just tightening it to check the alt. i figured if it was the alt. bearing id most likely hear the usual rumbling noise
If you suspect the alternator, get under the car with the car running and use a long screwdriver or stethoscope and listen to it to see if that sound is resonating through it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM

I want to input my 2 cents. I bet a lots of you will laugh at this.

A couple of years ago I changed my serpentine belt on my 96.
Did it with a mechanic who was supposed to be reliable and knowledgeable.

Got the Gatorgrip belt and a new tension pulley since the one that I had was a bit old.

Everything good so far. Changed everything and went on my way. After a day or so every morning on cold start on a cold Canadian morning the belt will squeak for about 5 to 10 seconds.
Went back to the shop hat the belt tensioned some more still the same stuff. Sprayed belt spray on it a couple of times and no cake. I think I broke 5 belts before my crankshaft pulley broke and finally fixed the issue.

The du..mb a$$ put the tension pulley the other way around, I know everybody will ask how is that possible. Well it is. Apparently there is only one way to put it and there are no marks on it so you cannot mess it up. The mechanic did not catch that and all my issues were from there.

Needless to say I gave that guy the finger and told him to be safe but not before all the issues that I had.

So bottom line is , if you changed the tension pulley check if it catches the entire belt when you tension it. If not that is your issue. Mine is was offset by 2mm I think and caused all the issues.