4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

looking to buy an inexpensive scan tool. What would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

looking to buy an inexpensive scan tool. What would you recommend?

Saw some on ebay that connect to the consult 2 connector and plug in to a laptop. Also saw some obd2 scanners on amazon for under $100. Is there anything out there that I can program the keys to a 99 maxima?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Administrator

IMO, nothing is going to be able to program keys/deal with NATS at the price point you're looking at.

Interesting that you bring this up. I've been doing a ton of research lately and have found some great diagnostic tools that will work with NATS and reprogram keys, talk to the BCM, ABS, SRS, transmission modules etc, do the idle relearn (great for 5th gens)...and if one was to fork out the big bucks, some diagnostic tools even re-flash the ECU. The price to get in the door is $900 for a base model that will do NATS, and $2800 for a full blown model that can do ECU reflash type stuff. I won't even go into the Snap-on and other diagnostic tools that cost $5,000 and up. I found some bootleg type stuff in the $160 to $200 price range that claims it will work with our NATS, but I'm skeptical. The one I like has wireless Wifi, bluetooth (for printing screenshots to a nearby printer), a camera, talks to all modules, deals with NATS etc. If I get one, I'll start a thread and do a review.

Here's the style that plugs into your laptop
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PYBZJO/...I203IBA2CCQBRK

There are a gazillion scanners/code readers for $100 or less. You have to ask yourself, what features are you looking for?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM

+1. I've spent (well thrown away) close to $300 on products that do not work on 99 models. Some work on 5th gens no problem. Some work on 4th gens -- but none I've found for under $200 will reset NATS on a 4th gen.

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima

Last edited by CS_AR; 10-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 PM

O'rielly (Innova), also Pep Boys has Actron Pocket Scanner OB2 for $39 and Innova OB1 & 2 for $179 on sale now online!

Last edited by CMax03; 10-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Here's the style that plugs into your laptop
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PYBZJO/...I203IBA2CCQBRK
Back in the fall of 2011 and early 2012, I was trying to find software to run on my laptop. I tried several and ScanTool was one of them. It didn't work on either my 97 or 00 Maxima. I hope they figured it out since then.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:59 PM

I purchased NDSII with the VAG cable in hopes that it would work on the 99 model. The 99 model has unique connect string that I've not been able to make work with NDSII. However, I have been able to use NDSII on my neighbor's 5th gen. It was a "by the book setup" on a 5th gen that worked without issue. NDSII does not show support for 4th gens that I've seen so there is nothing misleading as far as I'm concerned. Though I have a nice piece of diagnostic software for neighborhood use now.

I bought a Consult 3 clone from China (comes with software and PC interface cable). It did not work. Beware of ODBII tool selling web sites in China with the smiling call center girls. There is nobody there to help or answer your email when the product fails to work. Money down the drain.

I purchased an ELM327 wireless module to use with NDS for Android. ELM327 appears to work with a product named Torque Lite -- but it was difficult to make a connection. It really has no diagnostics that I need. Money down the drain.

I bought software from the UK that was advertised to work and provide a NATS PIN code generator and older Consult 3 version. It was advertized to work with the cable that came with the Consult 3 package from China. Money down the drain.

Maybe this will help The Wizard narrow down the list..

NOTE: None of these products will reset NATS.

Products I own that WORK on a 4th gen:

1) ECUTalk with Cable. This product was developed to work with the ODB1 Consult port pin diagram in the picture below. I have tested the Cable and the free ECUTalk software on my 1991 ODB1 Nissan in addition to a 1995, 1997 and 1999 Maxima and I30. While 4th gens are ODBII cars, they the came equipped with a Consult OBD1 style port.

2) Nissan Data Scan I (The Original) with the ECUTalk Cable. After I learned how to use the ECUTalk product above, I wanted to conduct a power balance test. I purchased NDS1 realized it works with great with the ECUTalk cable. There is a help document to describe how to connect NDS1 for a 99 model and 4th gen. To use NDS1, you'll need to find the Ecu ID (Find ECU button) to get the code to insert in the EcuID (Hex Code) data element. Also, I had to check the 96 z32 box and use the connection string for a 1996 300ZX. IIRC the 4th gen uses the same connect string as the 1996 300ZX.

3) El cheapo ($49) OBD2 code reader from Harbor Freight. I've reset more codes with that orange handheld unit than I can remember on cars from Chevy to Toyota. With a good working ODB2 code reset and reader device you can definitely win friends and influence people.

Last edited by CS_AR; 10-24-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Wal-Mart has a Roadi scanner like this, easy to use and i paid like 70 bucks for it. just plug it in and it gives you the codes and you can clear them. i use it when i do sidework and its always been good

http://en1.data.coolicool.com/images...3d08ed4741.jpg

whether NATS will work with it i dont know
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What do the locksmiths use?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by PSMUNNS
The only locksmith I know has a product that he paid over $2,000 to purchase. He indicates it will reprogram 2000 models and up but not a 99 model.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Check Pepboys online now!!!! Actron and Innova on sale now!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by PSMUNNS
Originally Posted by CS_AR
The only locksmith I know has a product that he paid over $2,000 to purchase. He indicates it will reprogram 2000 models and up but not a 99 model.
That's because he needs a different cable for the 99.

The cable he has connects to the OBD connector. In the 2000 model, Nissan eliminated the old Consult connector and used the OBD connector for Consult. All 4th gens had both connectors and so the OBD connector on the 4th gens only had wires for OBD. So your locksmith friend needs to get a cable that connects to the Consult connector in the 99.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

That's because he needs a different cable for the 99.

The cable he has connects to the OBD connector. In the 2000 model, Nissan eliminated the old Consult connector and used the OBD connector for Consult. All 4th gens had both connectors and so the OBD connector on the 4th gens only had wires for OBD. So your locksmith friend needs to get a cable that connects to the Consult connector in the 99.
Which I guess is the reason NDS2 will not work on a 4th gen. It needs to connect to a consult port that is not separate from the OBD plug. I read where the ODB2 plugs are slightly different between the 4th and 5th gens. I think I tried connecting to NDS2 with the ECUTalk cable into the consult port but I doubt that would work since the interface must be using different COM message structures.

Last edited by CS_AR; 10-24-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Administrator

I currently have an Autel MD802. It's supposed to be able to talk to all the modules (SRS, ABS, BCM, transmission, engine etc) but it doesn't, only the engine at the moment. On my 2006 Xrunner, it does talk to all the modules.

I've learned that I need an additional cable and adapter to communicate fully. When I originally asked Autel, the manufacturer, if the MD802 can communicate fully with our Maximas, they said yes. They conveniently left out the part of needing the extra cable and adapter.
http://www.jbtoolsales.com/autel-md8...for-the-md802/

This is what I ordered. This part now comes standard with their higher end diagnostic tools, and many other adapters for all makes and models.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-DS708-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

I ordered an Autel male to male cable too for $20. Let's hope this works, or I'm out $39.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 AM

I currently have an Autel MD802. It's supposed to be able to talk to all the modules (SRS, ABS, BCM, transmission, engine etc) but it doesn't, only the engine at the moment. On my 2006 Xrunner, it does talk to all the modules.

I've learned that I need an additional cable and adapter to communicate fully. When I originally asked Autel, the manufacturer, if the MD802 can communicate fully with our Maximas, they said yes. They conveniently left out the part of needing the extra cable and adapter.
http://www.jbtoolsales.com/autel-md8...for-the-md802/

This is what I ordered. This part now comes standard with their higher end diagnostic tools, and many other adapters for all makes and models.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-DS708-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

I ordered an Autel male to male cable too for $20. Let's hope this works, or I'm out $39.
Ahh -- so you've had the MD802 for a while that you use on other cars? I see it sells from $249 to $299. So the total spend would be $249+$39 for 4th gen adapters?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Got Retrofit?

Autel MaxiScan MS300. Used it countless times.

Works great.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:04 AM

I think I'll invest in the lastest Innova scantool that includes OB2 engine, Trans, ABS, and SRS even though, I don't ever really need a scan tool to fix most ABS problems...it will but nice to have the extra capability
Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMax03
I think I'll invest in the lastest Innova scantool that includes OB2 engine, Trans, ABS, and SRS even though, I don't ever really need a scan tool to fix most ABS problems...it will but nice to have the extra capability
From my research, and from emailing Innova, Innova's scanner won't talk with our ABS, SRS etc. This was about 6 months ago. You should call and verify before purchasing.

Last edited by The Wizard; 10-26-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Ahh -- so you've had the MD802 for a while that you use on other cars? I see it sells from $249 to $299. So the total spend would be $249+$39 for 4th gen adapters?
Yes, exactly. But you have to be careful, there are two versions of the MD802. The version that comes direct from China have limited capabilities (only communicates with engine, ABS, SRS, and transmission), hence the lower cost you're probably finding on Ebay and Amazon. I bought mine from an authorized dealer (Autozone) after learning this. The better version will say "All systems DS" on the box and talk to the BCM and even more modules. It also can reset oil maintenance lights and deal with electronic parking brakes on some vehicles.

Some vendors/sellers will claim they're an authorized dealer, but they're really an authorized dealer for the global market, not the US market. Again, I received this information direct from Autel US.

Hopefully with the cable and adapter I bought, I'll be able to reap the benefits on my full blown "all systems DS" version. Otherwise, it'll work great on 2000+ vehicles that I own and work on, but not our beloved Maximas.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Administrator

I figured I'd update this thread with some new info.

With the new cable and connector I bought, I can now connect through the Consult port and communicate with the engine, transmission, ABS and SRS modules, but not the BCM unfortunately.

So, for anyone reading this and planning on using the MD802 only on a 95-99 Maxima, an option to save some money is to go for the Autel 619 instead. It can communicate with the engine; and the ABS and SRS (no transmission) assuming you spend the extra $39 for the consult adapter connector and the male to male cable. The Autel AL619 is quit a bit cheaper than the MD802

http://www.autel.us/Products/al619.htm
Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Got Retrofit?

Anyone know of a Windows version of Consult 2 or anything similar?

I've got a Consult cable coming with my Nistuned ECU so I figured a program like that would be nice to have in addition to the MS300 scanner.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Anyone know of a Windows version of Consult 2 or anything similar?

I've got a Consult cable coming with my Nistuned ECU so I figured a program like that would be nice to have in addition to the MS300 scanner.
Do you have a picture of the cable?

Will the cable you have coming plug into a USB port on your computer?

If the Consult cable uses the same FTDI drivers as ECUTalk, then you can look in the Software Available section at the following page.

http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx

ECUTalk will be the easiest and most likely software to get running once the drivers have been installed.

Also, once ECUTalk is running you can install and check out NDS1 if you want to try running some advanced diagnostics like a power balance test.

I already had the ECUTalk Consult cable for 91 Q45 before I got into 4th gens. So one day I connected that cable to the Consult port on the 4th gen to see if it would work. I had installed the FTDI and ECUTalk software on an old windows desktop that I keep in the garage just for running diagnostics. Once I synced up ECUTalk with the COM port reserved by FTDI, it all worked. For NDS1, depending on 4th gen year, there are some setting changes required to get it to connect to the ECU registers.. If anyone is interested I can walk us through it -- maybe in a thread specific to that topic.

Here's some ancient pictures in a slide show of me using the ECUTalk (Consult style cable) on my 91 Q45. It is fun to watch all the gauges moving around while you are running the car. It plugs in and works the same way on a 4th gen..

Side Note: I have a little OBD2 scanner like the MS300 that I keep handy for a quick code read and reset, usually to help out a neighbor. Then if I need to do some deeper diagnostics on a Nissan 4th gen or OBD1 car that requires a power balance test or to log a few minutes of running into a CSV file that I can open with MS Excel, I'll roll out the PC and use ECUTalk or NDS1.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid...Testing?sort=9

I see references in the Nistune forum to people using ECUTalk software. Also, I noticed there is a FTDI cleaner download on the Nistune site. I bet FTDI drivers comes pre-packaged with Nistune software.

This is all starting to look familiar. Somehow I think I think may be a bit of cross-talk between the Nistune and ECUTalk organisations.

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Got Retrofit?

Do you have a picture of the cable? Will the cable you have coming plug into a USB port on your computer?
It comes with this cable from PLMS Developments I believe:
http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/imag...sult_cable.jpg
Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
It comes with this cable from PLMS Developments I believe:
http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/imag...sult_cable.jpg
Yep!

Now let's compare the PLMS cable to ECUTalk. See the similarities?

PLMS

ECUTalk

You'll be able to do some cool testing with the PLMS cable. Many years ago, I had some bad injectors that I confirmed with a power balance test using Nissan Scan Tech. Here's a slide show below.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid...0_07_30?sort=9

:

You're going to like Nistune..

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Hi Gang,

Time to revisit this thread/subject again!

SES light on and TCS, Slip lights too.

I'm looking for a reasonable scanner that does the gamut and has decent user ratings. I don't have a laptop.

I don't really want to spend $200 or more. Has anything else come out or was price reduced that works well with these 4th Gens (Mine is a 99)?

I have a list of other must do's that command the disposable cash first, so reasonable is paramount:

Power Steering Rack (Hoses and whatever impact on the exhaust)
Front Crank Seal (might as well do a Dorman pulley and new belts)
Lower Radiator Support
Boot on one of the axles, so new Axle

Any guidance to a good scanner that does a decent job on all the car code needs on this car and up to the present, at a palatable price, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Did I mention it's Winter and I have to do all this in the driveway? OUCH!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 PM

If all you want to do is pull the trouble codes, get something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...rds=obd+reader It won't tell you exactly what to fix or how to fix it, but that's what the org and google are for...
Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Hey DBear,

Thanks!

I'm at the point of wanting the gamut. Meaning something that gives me as much information as I can afford. Including the current ABS or whatever problem that has appeared with a million places to look for the problem(s).

When I was young, cars had carburetors, auto transmissions without any electronics, no sensors, no ABS. So many less possibilities when something goes wrong to check. Now, its mind boggling!

So now, a well rounded scanner is a must and it will be more of a must as time goes on!

I want meat and potatoes! I'm tired of crumbs! LOL
Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 PM

One thing I've found on our 99 models use two ports for diagnostics. There is a somewhat limited OBD2 port and a fully functional consult port. The consult port is behind the door where the fuses are located on the dash. The OBD2 port is below the dash. It seems the 4th gen transition models provided enough OBD2 capabilities to meet the legal requirement and nothing more.

Although I have tried, I haven't been able to do much with the OBD2 port other than read/reset basic ECU codes. I actually have the updated version of the Autel reader that DBear posted as sold by Harbor Freight for $49. The Amazon deal is better.

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL301-OB..._ob_image_auto

As it turns out, I've reset more codes using the OBD2 tool for friends and neighbors than I've used it on my own cars. When I need to run serious diagnostics, I use Nissan Data Scan 1 that I have installed on a workstation that I keep in the garage strictly for Nissan diagnostics. I bought a OBD2 cable and a copy of Nissan Data Scan 2 that works great on a 5th gen. The problem is I don't have a 5th gen. I cannot make NDS2 work on a 4th gen. NDS clearly states the tool is for 2000 models and up.

As for the difference between OBD1 and OBD2 functionality on our cars, Dennis explained it earlier in the thread.

I would check out the tool The Wizard bought or recommends. It appears to connect through the consult port and provides more functionality than a basic OBD2 reader/reset tool.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-15-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM

I bought this code reader from Advance Auto for $40 that lets you remove the codes as well: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...9125/9020005-P
Helped me a lot when I had MAF issues
Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Thanks Gentlemen!

This is what I'm getting out of this and additional research. Please correct me if I go astray!

I think there are two different conversations going on here. One at an entry level and one at a much more in depth level that uses all the features connecting to the ecu offers.

So at the entry level, the inexpensive scanners with OBD!! connectors that have been mentioned and get connected to the white port under the right of the steering wheel..... Yes it can give some readings and lets the operator clear some codes. However, the only reason this port is there is for State Inspection diagnostics (required by law in the US) and although does offer some functionality, was never meant to be the port to diagnose and manage 4th Gen Maximas. There are no advanced diagnostics or functionality using this method.

At the advanced level, the CONSULT port is where all the functionality resides. Some that have responded are very much aware of the difference and also have been through this undefined learning process to get to something fully functional, easy to use and reasonable. So far it seems to be an ambiguously defined map and journey to get something that works fully and is affordable. Most of us don't want to spend what a dealer has to pay for one or two cars. And the learning curve that goes with it.

Where is the "EASY" button? LOL OUCH!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Thanks Gentlemen!

Where is the "EASY" button? LOL OUCH!
Its here.. I would look into the Autel unit The Wizard suggested with the Nissan Consult cable. That unit can be used with later OBD2 cars also. I see that as a good long term investment.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-16-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 PM

Thank you Kindly CS_AR and The Wizard as well, for bringing clarity to this diagnostic equipment and software void!

You both share so much of all the diligence and knowledge you have spent so long to acquire. And share it for nothing more than to help all of us!

I have a couple choices here. But I think the best one would be buying the house next to CS_AR. LOL

Leading by Example
is so rare these days and yet, by far, the best way ever to show how it's (or should be) DONE!

Thanks AGAIN fellas!
Old 01-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Thank you Kindly CS_AR and The Wizard as well, for bringing clarity to this diagnostic equipment and software void!

You both share so much of all the diligence and knowledge you have spent so long to acquire. And share it for nothing more than to help all of us!

I have a couple choices here. But I think the best one would be buying the house next to CS_AR. LOL

Leading by Example
is so rare these days and yet, by far, the best way ever to show how it's (or should be) DONE!

Thanks AGAIN fellas!
Well c'mon down. The price is right. The weather today was sunny and 63 degrees. Perfect for working on a car in the driveway.

Actually one of my neighbors and fellow Maxima.org member stopped by this morning with a new alternator. I fired up ECUTalk and NDS1 to determine the old alternator was putting out 12v. The needle was bouncing at that. He already purchased a new alternator that we installed in a couple of hours. The new (rebuilt) alternator was showing a healthy 14v afterward. Everything else diagnostic wise looked good.

Then another neighbor pulled his 5th gen into the driveway and we plugged up NDS2 and ran a test. I think we will put some new NGK V-powers in his 2000 model very soon. Now I need to work one own of my own vehicles. Ha!

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-17-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Administrator

No problem KP11520. If you want your "meat and potatoes" and to be able to communicate with the ABS and SRS, the Autel 619 plus the consult connector and cable may be your best bet. If you don't care about that stuff, then you have a ton a affordable choices that are $50 or less.

This thread reminds me that I need to start another thread. Santa Claus brought me a professional grade scan tool that can communicate with all modules, run tests, turn things on and off, and the ability to reprogram keys (NATS), idle relearn (great for 5th gens) etc etc.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:40 PM

What u get Wizard
Old 01-17-2015, 08:31 PM

DAMN!!!!

Why do you guys have to live so far away? LOL

Good Peeps here in this 4th Gen area!

When we left to go get some dinner, it was a sweaty 19 F degrees out.

I hope The Wiz can put up a video demo on YT. I'm definitely interested!

The Autel 619 with the extra cable sounds like the best value entry point with the least guessing. No Transmission codes/data though?

What's the halfway point between Arkansas and SoCal?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:38 AM

I'm looking at buying the AL619 that The Wizard mentions in post #13 above. The 619 and adapter are easy enough to find on Amazon/eBay.

But I'm not sure about the $20 "Autel male to male cable". Since I don't want to screw up and get the wrong cable, can you recommend a part number or link, Wizard?

This forum has helped so much already, it's been very encouraging and helped spark my love of the 4th gen. I want to take my abilities to the next level with this scanner.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JEB Davis
I'm looking at buying the AL619 that The Wizard mentions in post #13 above. The 619 and adapter are easy enough to find on Amazon/eBay.

But I'm not sure about the $20 "Autel male to male cable". Since I don't want to screw up and get the wrong cable, can you recommend a part number or link, Wizard?

This forum has helped so much already, it's been very encouraging and helped spark my love of the 4th gen. I want to take my abilities to the next level with this scanner.
This is the cable I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-Autel-MD802-JP701-OBDI-15pin-com-port-adapter-Male-to-Male-plug-cable-/161224697850?hash=item2589bda7fa&item=161224697850&vxp=mtr
Before you go and order the same thing, make sure your terminals are the same as the 802 that I have. Meaning, they'll both be 15 pin and the same shape, but your 619 could have a male fitting where 802 had a female. Please double check, I'd hate for you to order the wrong combo of male/female connections...
Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM

This is the cable I bought.

Original Autel MD802 JP701 Obdi 15pin com Port Adapter Male to Male Plug Cable | eBay

Before you go and order the same thing, make sure your terminals are the same as the 802 that I have. Meaning, they'll both be 15 pin and the same shape, but your 619 could have a male fitting where 802 had a female. Please double check, I'd hate for you to order the wrong combo of male/female connections...
Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Administrator

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That 15-pin cable seems unlikely to be anything too special on the inside, since there's a lot of profit to be had in taking a ridiculously cheap 15-pin cable and using orange ends on it.

If you have a PC/electronics 2nd hand shop/recycler in your area, you could potentially get one of these cables for a buck or two. It might not work if for some reason there are custom pin-to-pin relationships on each end of the cable that are different from what PCs use but it can't hurt to try.