4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crooked steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Crooked steering wheel

So my issue is that even though I have the steering wheel in-line with the wheels to make the vehicle go straight, for some reason the steering wheel turns to the right (1-2PM position) by itself along with the wheels.

I thought two things. One being memory steer due to faulty components whatever they may be or perhaps the natural center for steering is off so I need to readjust the steering wheel and wheels to the natural center. Whether I start with the steering wheel or wheels something doesn't work. If I start with the steering wheel to make it straight (12PM) and then proceed to the wheels the previously stated scenario happens. If I start with the wheels and make them straight ignoring the steering wheel and turning them to the left via tie rod adjustment the vehicle still pulls right and even worse the steering wheel is further turned right to like 2:30PM position.

I'm starting to think there's some sort of suspension issue like ball joints, but those seem good. Perhaps the steering rack is worn?

No matter what I do the vehicle and steering wheel will want to go right unless I adjust toe to make the wheels completely left and in that case the steering wheel will be completely right.

Last edited by blehbleh; 10-24-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Just a guess, but if your tie rods are good you should check your steering rack bushings.
I had a similar problem and mine were toast.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Just a guess, but if your tie rods are good you should check your steering rack bushings.
I had a similar problem and mine were toast.
Toast as in falling apart? I looked at one of them and I dunno, looked ok...I'll check the other.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Yeah, almost nothing left on the passenger side.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM

dang...pass side is good too.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check for worn out suspension and steering components, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends. If everything's tight, have the front end aligned, make sure camber and caster are in spec. If camber and or caster is off, you've most likely got something bent.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Check for worn out suspension and steering components, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends. If everything's tight, have the front end aligned, make sure camber and caster are in spec. If camber and or caster is off, you've most likely got something bent.
Ya, getting an alignment is my last resort...but it looks like that's where it's headed as everything looks good...wonder what I'll find..
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If all the front end components are in good shape try cross rotating the front tires. If no change stop wasting time and get a wheel alignment.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by blehbleh
Ya, getting an alignment is my last resort..
Why? Alignment should be yearly maintenance.

Make sure everything is tight and get an alignment. If you have big pot holes or have recently done front end work then the toe angles will have changed causing a new center.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Why? Alignment should be yearly maintenance.

Make sure everything is tight and get an alignment. If you have big pot holes or have recently done front end work then the toe angles will have changed causing a new center.
Haven't done any work. I assume if I set toe totally aiming left and it still turns right then there's something more than alignment issues.

I realized it's harder to turn left than right...and when it's on the lift the steering is equal left and right, so I now am aiming toward a rack sealing issue.

Last edited by blehbleh; 10-25-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by blehbleh
Haven't done any work. I assume if I set toe totally aiming left and it still turns right then there's something more than alignment issues.
You need to set the steering wheel in the middle and adjust each wheel accordingly. If it still pulls, your camber or caster is farked.

I realized it's harder to turn left than right...
Sounds like caster or camber on one side is out, unfortunately this is not adjustable, and could only result from an impact.

so I now am aiming toward a rack sealing issue.
Not very likely. If the spool valve in the rack was farked it would pull, but also turn to full lock with zero input from you.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
You need to set the steering wheel in the middle and adjust each wheel accordingly. If it still pulls, your camber or caster is farked.

Sounds like caster or camber on one side is out, unfortunately this is not adjustable, and could only result from an impact.

Not very likely. If the spool valve in the rack was farked it would pull, but also turn to full lock with zero input from you.
I might have read this wrong, but off aa1car it says,
"This can be checked by raising the wheels with the engine running to see if the wheels turn to one side by themselves. No change would indicate another cause, but if the pull suddenly vanishes an imbalance in the power steering system is to blame. The control valve assembly or steering gear needs to be replaced."

I raised the vehicle and the pull disappeared like it said.

What you say makes sense, but is this diagnostic information backwards or something?

Last edited by blehbleh; 10-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.