4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel indicator and the FM radio is not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel indicator and the FM radio is not working properly

Hi,
I would like to know what can I do to fix these two issues and approximately how much can it cost to repair it. I think my FM antenna is broken.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM

You need to give us some more information on these problems.

The fuel gauge problem could be the dash gauge or the sending unit inside the gas tank. Does the needle in the gauge move or is it "stuck" at one spot? If it moves, how is it not working correctly.

And the radio. Is it a Bose radio or not? Since your car is a 1997, do you even have a Nissan radio in it or was it replaced with an aftermarket radio, such as Sony or Pioneer or whatever? What is wrong with it? Do you get any FM stations or just a few?

More info please.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Regarding the Fuel indicator, it works. When I do a full tank, the needle points above maximum and stays approximately close to maximum level indicator for upto 80-100 miles. Then it starts falling. Last time when I filled the fuel, the indicator was on a level marking just above the minimum indicator. I filled 12 gallons of gas. So I just want to know if this behavior is normal or does it suggest that some part of the fuel indicator needs to be replaced.

Regarding the radio, its a pioneer radio, not a nissan radio. I can listen few channels without disturbance, but on some I hear disturbance. On the right rear end of the car I notice there is a slot for a monopole antenna. But that antenna rod is missing/broken. So I am not sure what is wrong since few FM channels are picked up properly without any disturbance.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 PM

If u have a aftermarket radio with USB port, I just plug it into my phone and play Pandora on my favorite station, easier and acts just like a radio. I do remember trying to get a station on the radio, sometime it works... sometimes it doesn't, Just gotta play around with the stations. but I prefer Pandora.

and for your fuel, it may be some sensor behind the needle that is sending false information and not reading correctly.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by nissan_maxima_1997
Regarding the Fuel indicator, it works. When I do a full tank, the needle points above maximum and stays approximately close to maximum level indicator for upto 80-100 miles. Then it starts falling. Last time when I filled the fuel, the indicator was on a level marking just above the minimum indicator. I filled 12 gallons of gas. So I just want to know if this behavior is normal or does it suggest that some part of the fuel indicator needs to be replaced.

Regarding the radio, its a pioneer radio, not a nissan radio. I can listen few channels without disturbance, but on some I hear disturbance. On the right rear end of the car I notice there is a slot for a monopole antenna. But that antenna rod is missing/broken. So I am not sure what is wrong since few FM channels are picked up properly without any disturbance.
You may have a problem with the sending unit in the gas tank. It has become uncalibrated. Maybe it can be re-calibrated, maybe it will have to be replaced. You will not know until you try to calibrate it.

Click on this link (http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1997/EL.pdf) and see the top of page 86.

The radio problem sounds like an antenna problem. The FM antenna is in the rear window glass. If something hit the window on the inside, it could have broken one of the wires.

See pages 134 through 136 in the link above.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the link. It has a lot of good information regarding the electrical connections within the car.