4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How To: (update) Power Steering Belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM

How To: (update) Power Steering Belt

Maybe this can be added to the Sticky "How To" re: belts on a 4th gen.

I study up for stuff, then I often hit the snags, which can vary so much they can't be detailed exactly in advance but here goes on the PS belt.

Symptom: PS cutting in and out, looked under hood, had assistant turn wheel (asphalt, not moving = tough on the PS) saw belt slipping.

Solution: tighten it

Follow all the steps in the How To / Youtube videos.

BUT - my adjusting screw was totally frozen. Good to figure out prior to breaking it. The pivot screw behind the pump was hard to find, but not awful to turn. It loos like an adjusting "****", verses the three bolt heads which are holding the pump all together. Just saying, I wasted a fair amount of time just trying to find the head of the pivot bolt.

So I jacked, jack standed, pulled front pass tire, loosened the adjuster set bolt, then started in on the adjusting screw. I could tell it wasn't turning - so I made sure the pivot bolt was loose, then I removed the bolt that tightens the adjuster completely and pulled out the whole adjusting mechanism. Took it to the bench and heated it with a torch a LOT and freed up the adjusting screw. Cleaned up the threads real good, straightened the bolt as best I could (the "turning" was actually bending), and then spent a long time trying to line up the bolt again. Holy S. So the trick to that was (and I should have thought of this...) remembering exactly how it was adjusted when it come out (how much bolt screwed in the little block) and started with that. Finally got it then everything was standard drill.
Point is - if your car is rusty, and you haven't done the belts, watch out for the adjusters - they break pretty easy.