4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

transogo shift kit HD vs non HD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

transogo shift kit HD vs non HD?

Hi you guys doing, I was wondering if anybody has experience with transgo shift kit?, I seen the hd2 kit on videos and read plenty reviews, bit I haven't seen anything about the transgo shift kit non HD? Anybody care to share their experience with it?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 PM

TransGo Shift KitŪ branded products are designed to reduce/prevent/correct complaints such as "shift irregularities or durability issues". Shift Kit'sŪ are perfect for normal use or towing. Shift Kit'sŪ do NOT produce performance type shifts. TransGo Reprogramming Kit™ branded products are designed with performance in mind and most but not all models contain additional features like Gear Command that allows you to hold manual low to any speed and shift back to low at any speed. Great for strip cars or 4x4 rock crawlers needing to select low and not have it up-shift. Most Reprogramming Kit™ products can be tuned for HD (Heavy Duty) use by following the recommendations in the kit. If you desire full manual control, we offer Stick Shift versions for most models that provide no automatic up-shifts, in a forward pattern only, available under the Reprogramming Kit™ brand. So if your looking to retain shift comfort but want added durability use the Shift KitŪ branded products. For performance shifts without sacrificing durability use our Reprogramming Kit™ branded products.
NOTE: Shift feel also depends on many factors such as vehicle weight, tire diameter, differential ratio, engine torque, and converter stall speed.
http://www.transgo.com/faq.html

The HD2 are the performance shifting ones I believe

Last edited by george__; 11-03-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM

The HD2 (Heavy Duty) transgo shift kit will improve the acceleration with harder shifts. One member was disappointed with those harsh shifts and wanted to reverse the procedure after installing the HD2

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-question.html

I installed the non HD Transgo Shift Kit three years ago and am pleased with the performance upgrade. It accelerates faster in 1st and 2nd with slight harshness. It is also known to extend the life of the RE4F04A. Transgo gives detailed instructions and it's a simple procedure if you have the tools. Trangso suggested not to use the HD2 kit if "Your wife drives the MAX"

RE4F04A Upgraded (non HD2)

Nissan, Mercury & InfinityQuest & Villager4F20E 93-02Maxima, Altima, i30 93-00

Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: Falls out of gear at stop sign. HOT. Delayed forward engagement. No 3rd after a 3-2 or 4-2 kickdown. 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown runaway, burns up the 3-4 clutches, direct clutch (3rd) inner seal leak, wears flat or opens up, soft 1-2 and 2-3. High-Temp Low-Shrink rings– Quality shifts & more durability.

RE4F04A-HD2

Nissan Maxima-Altima 93-00 Quest 92-02Mercury Villager4F2OE 92-02Infinity i30 95-99

Corrects: Falls out of gear at a stop HOT.No 3rd after a 3-2 or 4-2 kickdown.Direct clutch (3rd) inner seal leaks, wears or opens up, etc. Corrects Soft 1-2. Long 2-3 at heavy throttle. Firmer 4th & lockup.Designed for Nitrous or Turbo Charging. Has "Trick Valve”: Hot Rod - Street Show Off"
Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Pulling transmission for non-HD kit

I just moved to the Hi-Temp Low-Shrink Rings portion of the install and I see no way to install those rings on anything other than the output shaft without pulling the transmission. The other five assemblies appear to be on the other side of the side case cover where the output shaft is.

The TransGo website specifically says you don't have to pull the transmission. I just wanted to check with you guys that have installed the non-HD kit to see if I'm missing something.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM

HD is "harsher" in a DD
Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 AM

ttt

Originally Posted by rbuswell
I just moved to the Hi-Temp Low-Shrink Rings portion of the install and I see no way to install those rings on anything other than the output shaft without pulling the transmission. The other five assemblies appear to be on the other side of the side case cover where the output shaft is.

The TransGo website specifically says you don't have to pull the transmission. I just wanted to check with you guys that have installed the non-HD kit to see if I'm missing something.

Yes or no on the transmission pull. Any help guys?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Got an answer

Yes or no on the transmission pull. Any help guys?
I spoke to Tech Support at TransGo. The fellow was very friendly and helpful. He agreed that the website needed to be reworded and that I definitely need to pull the transmission to put in the rest of the rings/seals. He said most people who buy their Shift Kits or HD Kits are installing them in combination with a transmission rebuild. When I told him that my transmission hasn't given me any trouble and that I was just looking for a small boost in performance, he felt that I was better off just waiting until I need to rebuild the transmission in the future, if ever.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 AM

Very happy with the results

I spoke to Tech Support at TransGo. The fellow was very friendly and helpful. He agreed that the website needed to be reworded and that I definitely need to pull the transmission to put in the rest of the rings/seals. He said most people who buy their Shift Kits or HD Kits are installing them in combination with a transmission rebuild. When I told him that my transmission hasn't given me any trouble and that I was just looking for a small boost in performance, he felt that I was better off just waiting until I need to rebuild the transmission in the future, if ever.
I thought I should give a follow-up on my install. The car took forever to become roadworthy again (probably a function of having other cars to keep our family going) but not because of the TransGo kit. The non-HD kit is REALLY nice for daily driver duty. The shifts are fast and smooth and the car does seem to move through MPH ranges effortlessly.

Reflecting on the install, I would say that in some ways it was easier than I expected and other ways more difficult. Taking apart and reassembling the valve body wasn't as imposing as I expected - just keep everything clean and well labeled and take your time - but putting it back into the transmission was more difficult than I expect. The mechanical aspect of putting all the slides and e-brake mechanics, etc. was trickier especially with only one set of hands. I'm sure DIYers have more trouble than pro mechanics who do them all the time.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. It makes the car a joy to drive for more performance.