4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FX-R Projectors?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 PM

FX-R Projectors?????

Hey all you experienced Projector Retrofitters,

I have a few questions about the FX-R Projectors and fitting them in One Lamp 97 to 99 Maxima Headlight Assemblies and I'm hoping you can shed a little light on a few things (Get it? Light? LOL)

First:

I see FX-R Projectors for sale at TRS and other websites that specialize in HID Projectors and retrofitting. I also see them on eBay and Amazon. Assuming I decided on the FX-R Ver 3.0 with 2.5" Clear lenses, no matter where I buy them, will they all be the same? Is there one manufacturer that supplies all of these places? If there's more than one manufacturer, which are the ones to buy? If there are several decent ones, is there an order of preference?

Second:

TRS says there's no difference using either the 2.5" lens or the 3" lens. Other sites and random posts here and there say the 2.5" lens has a better focus and cutoff line, light distribution is very much the same. Anybody know which is fact?

Third:

A new set of TYC 97 - 99 Headlight Assemblies arrived the other day. After I take them apart and remove the reflectors (to be trimmed to fit later), do the FX-R Projectors mount right onto the backs of the assemblies and do the holes line up for the screws? If not, what is the best way to mount them? Do I trim the reflectors first and mount the projectors after replacing the Reflectors cut to accommodate the Projectors? I read the E46 Chrome Bezels fit these best. Is that for 2.5" and/or 3" lenses? If there are better ones, please advise! How are the Bezels usually attached?

And Finally:

I've seen pictures of the 55 watt and 35 watt Ballasts and the 55 watt is stronger and fuller. I also read that Philips has a 3800K bulb that is the best for visibility (the reason I'm doing this). Is this the way to go or is there something that outperforms the rest in all kinds of weather for these old eyes? I don't care about blue and purple and pretty cutoff lines. I want to see EVERYTHING so I don't hit ANYTHING!

After weeks of reading and researching, it's amazing how hard it is to find anything Detailed AND Complete that covers all the factors required to have nothing less than a top notched outcome. Everything I've read has something or many things missing or contradicts something else. Quite frustrating!

Please share what you can!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 PM

H1 mini are your best bet if you ask me if this is your first time.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Pm chris man he has them in his 4th gen headlights right now. He does custom projector builds
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Chrisman287
Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Well, I will say the Mini H1 is quite impressive with the intense wash of light in front of the car, especially for its compact size. Right there with the best of 'em. The FX-R's are almost as good as the TL's for spreading the light to the sides as well in a smaller package than the TL Projectors, which are very difficult to work with, especially the bezels.

Chris validated the FX-R decision! His is with the R34 assemblies and a quad Projector setup. I hate to keep bothering him since I'm going to DIY to keep the cost as low as I can. With 185K miles and its dings and so on, and lots of expensive things needing to be done, I'm at the point of doing everything I can myself. Probably spent close to $10K over the last 85K miles alone. Moving forward, no more labor expenditures. Except for things like alignments and big equipment investment repairs. Can't afford that luxury any more.

Not much intimidates me and I usually get the results I want doing it myself. I also take pride in matching the pros! (except, way more time invested) LOL But I have more time than money to throw at this car!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 AM

If its something you have time to spend... Fxr. If you want a quick project and installed on the car asap.... Mh1 for sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Got Retrofit?

Get projectors from TRS only. I'd go with the 2.5" version for fitment purposes.

You'll have to trim the projectors in order for them to sit far back enough in the housings to mount them. You'll also have to cut a decent sized hole in the back.

You can use epoxy or nuts/bolts to mount. Your choice.

35W should be enough for your eyes. 4300K is great for visibility and it's what most OEM HID equipped cars come with. Morimoto XB35 bulbs are great.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Have this guy ^ do it for you, it'll be worth it!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM

This will be my last post. I am tired of this site wiping my posts by timing me out way too fast. It doesn't make sense to have that when DETAILS rule the content here. Brilliant to punish those that post them. Keep it. I'll go somewhere else where the Administrator can think this through reasonably. Less than 10 minutes and it's gone! The only site that doesn't have any way to recover what was written I've been on.

Below is the summary. I ain't going through that again! A BIG Thanks to the kind people that have helped me! I hope I helped some as well! It all goes around.

Saw some videos on setting FX-Rs and how deep and using Epoxy. Also making sure the horizons are level before locking them down as well as both sides matched.

Why TRS only? I don't mind paying when I get something extra that benefits me for it. If all FX-R Projectors are the same, all bets are off. Are TRS FX-R's different and better and why?

I found a video of a Retrofit using FX-R's with Philips DL50 Bulbs and 55 watt Ballasts. It's like having two Suns in you assemblies. Why do I always want things I can't have. They are SUPERB. Not $400 a pair (or more) superb though. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHc0SlPiI4

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Get projectors from TRS only. I'd go with the 2.5" version for fitment purposes.

You'll have to trim the projectors in order for them to sit far back enough in the housings to mount them. You'll also have to cut a decent sized hole in the back.

You can use epoxy or nuts/bolts to mount. Your choice.

35W should be enough for your eyes. 4300K is great for visibility and it's what most OEM HID equipped cars come with. Morimoto XB35 bulbs are great.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 AM
Got Retrofit?

FX-Rs from TRS are tuned to perfection. You do not have experience to buy untuned projectors and tune them yourself.

They're $140 a pair..
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Doing the Fatboy with 50W doesn't do the justice, crank it up to 75W.